Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I had a 'cracking' ride today !!

Wasn't sure whether to go out on the road bike or the MTB, and as I haven't used the MTB for a week or so, opted for that one.

I was about 10 miles out, riding down the side of the river, the front wheel caught on a tree root, and over the front I went......RIGHT INTO THE RIVER !!:laugh::laugh:

Followed swiftly by the bike !!.

Once I dragged my sorry arse and the bike out, wrung myself out, I carried on my merry way, albeit more than slightly damp !!

Following a trail on the way back home, I came down an incline at some speed, the handlebars hit a tree, and I flew off for the 2nd time in a day, right into a pile of thorns

View attachment 474382

Lucky enough, I was only a couple of miles from home at that point, so off home I went.

17.5 miles in 1.5hrs, a swim and a flying lesson !!

My chest hurt all morning, even more so when I breathe in, I was recommended by the powers that be to get it looked at, which I did, and I have 3 cracked ribs.

And I thought this push-biking malarky was supposed to keep me fit !!!

GWS! Cracked ribs are no fun at all.

theloafer

Legendary Member
did the Darlington 70 miler today (things I do for a t-shirt) :laugh::laugh: dragged karon along for company :whistle: the girl done good..she says I was good ..now soaking in the bath :whistle: ... bumped into a guy I used to ride with struggling with a bit of cramp and gave him my spare bottle with juice aand added salt,a banana also handful of jelly babies ... he arrived 20 mins after us so all was well ^_^ slow time but not a problem :okay: https://www.strava.com/activities/2512532143

WP_20190707_002[1].jpg

a well deserved pint or 2

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I had a 'cracking' ride today !!

Wasn't sure whether to go out on the road bike or the MTB, and as I haven't used the MTB for a week or so, opted for that one.

I was about 10 miles out, riding down the side of the river, the front wheel caught on a tree root, and over the front I went......RIGHT INTO THE RIVER !!:laugh::laugh:

Once I dragged my sorry arse and the bike out, wrung myself out, I carried on my merry way, albeit more than slightly damp !!

Following a trail on the way back home, I came down an incline at some speed, the handlebars hit a tree, and I flew off for the 2nd time in a day, right into a pile of thorns

View attachment 474382

Lucky enough, I was only a couple of miles from home at that point, so off home I went.

My chest hurt all morning, even more so when I breathe in, I was recommended by the powers that be to get it looked at, which I did, and I have 3 cracked ribs.

The like is for perseverance alone. Well done for carrying on with your ride. I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I had a 'cracking' ride today !! ......... I was about 10 miles out, riding down the side of the river, the front wheel caught on a tree root, and over the front I went......RIGHT INTO THE RIVER !!:laugh::laugh:

Following a trail on the way back home, I came down an incline at some speed, the handlebars hit a tree, and I flew off for the 2nd time in a day, right into a pile of thorns ........

Ouch!!! (A like for the effort, not the tale of woe). Get well soon.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yesterday's Ride:
Bonjour mes amis. Je suis en France encore. Got a week in the Perigord (Dordogne department) near Bergerac, and I intend to make the most of it. 37 degrees when we arrived on Friday, followed by the most uncomfortably hot (and dehydrating) night I can remember ever having. Was just about to head out for a pre-breakfast ride when we were hit by the mother of all thunderstorms. Like an artillery barrage, it was. By the time it cleared, I had missed my window of opportunity for the ride I was planning, so after drinking loads, I just headed out for a short exploration of the immediate neighbourhood, staying close to home in case the storm returned.
133 Near Perrel gite.JPG

A pleasant bimble through woodland and via Liorac sur Louyre to the village of Lamonzie Montastruc:
139.JPG

..... hardly seeing a car or a person on the way ...
140.JPG

Then back through more lovely woodland on more empty, undulating and winding roads ...
141.JPG

..... getting back to the gite in glorious, hot, sunny weather with the sound of cicadas all around. Time for a dip in the pool.
145.JPG

.... and here's the "Flatnav" bit ..... Just 16.8 miles, but a great way to get to know your way around a new place.
147 Flatnav Sat 6 Jul 19.JPG

Mor to follow.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
After some issue's on my last ride with the chain slipping off when I stopped pedalling I thought I had better get my bike booked in for an overdue service with the LBS which is now a mobile LBS, bike was returned on Thursday evening ready for Fridays commute and 2 rides this weekend. Saturday was somewhat dull and cooler than during the week and when I was ready to set off it started to rain but I went anyway. I headed towards Whixall over Dobsons Bridge( as seen in Rickshawphil's photos from Thursday) and carried on to Hollinswood overtaking a farmer on a quad bike, before turning towards Fenns Bank then turning to cross the canal to Alkington, back towards Hollinswood, onto Lower Houses, Cotonwood, Coton, Edsataston Ryebank where I spotted the now familiar blue helicopter doing flights from the Moat Shed, on to Highfields and noticed the helicopter was heading back to land and collect their next lot of customers so put a bit more effort in to get past before he landed and blew me back down the lane and back home missing the helicopter. Didn't see a single other person today which is quite unusual as I would normally see dog walkers or cyclists, 19.3 miles @16.1mph average speed. Bike feels a lot better for a service. Today was much sunnier and back to warmer temperatures ,went towards Wolverley, turning towards Loppington, then Nonely, Myddle, Burlton back towards Loppington but turned off before I got there to head to Colemere,round the mere at Colemere, Lyneal where the lane I would usually take had a road closed sign, I ignored the sign as they sometimes leave access for cyclists/horse riders and pedestrians and found another road closed sign, ignored that one as well and came to the third road closed sign, I took the hint then as the road was definitely closed and turned back to find an alternative route turning down the first lane I found sign posted to Welshampton which ended up where I hoped it would by the church. Back on familiar roads I went through Hampton Bank , also in Rickshawphil's photos on Thursday, to Northwood where I turned towards Whixall before turning towards home. Lots of cyclists out today, 20 miles ,16.3 average mph .Just to add I don't ignore road closed signs in the car only on the bike^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today's ride:
Up at stupid o'clock and out by 6:45 for today's pre-breakfast ride. After heading West towards Bergerac yesterday, today's ride was to the South, with a mind to getting down to the River Dordogne. Turns out there was about as much climbing as there was descending (in both directions). Fortunately, none of the hills around here are too taxing .... neither too long nor too steep. This was just as well, given the stifling hot weather around here at the moment. An early morning shot:
148 Cause de Clerans.JPG

The first village I stopped at was Cause de Clerans, which in fact turned out to be two villages (Cause and Clerans).
149.JPG

After an undulating and twisting route through woods and meadows, I eventually descended down to the level of the Dordogne valley, arriving at a level crossing in St Capraise de Lalinde that looked quintessentially French:
151 Ste Capraise de Lalinde.JPG

The road just happened to come out onto the min D660 exactly where we had parked the car yesterday, so I knew exactly where to turn to cross the Dordogne:
152 Crossing the Dordogne.JPG

At this point, I took a look at the horizon and worried about the clouds that were building. Didn't want to get caught in another thunderstorm 8 miles from the cottage, so I came back over the next bridge along the river and decided to stay closer to home. (Needn't have worried, as it came to nothing, and the clouds burned off quickly, and it turned into another scorcher today).
154 Back across the Dordogne.JPG

By the time I'd got the biggest climb of the day (up to Baneuil) done, I was dripping wet and glad I'd brought extra drinks with me. Stopped at the Mairie for a glug.
155 Baneuil.JPG

Some more beautiful, rolling Perigord countryside on the way home, via Ste Colombe, Pressignac Vicq and St Marcel du Perigord.
156 Perigord countryside.JPG

.... and, of course, more lovely woodland roads with barely a car seen all ride:
162.JPG

Today's Flatnav shot:
163 Flatnav Sun 7 Jul 19.JPG

20.8 miles done this morning before breakfast. Loved it. That's West and South done in my first two rides. Think I might get out before 6:30 and head either North or East tomorrow, getting a slightly longer ride in. Loving the cycling around these parts. Can't wait to get out again. For me, this is what it is all about.
Cheers, Donger.

Mike_P

Guru
1.82 miles further on the Defy this afternoon than yesterday but with 1025ft less climbing. Was slightly miffed to find Bilton Lane had been surface dressed; thankfully eastbound is down grade and although it was generally well compressed there was noticeable amount of piled up loose chippings against the rear of speed humps. Thankfully once out of the suburban area the surface dressing had not been undertaken; the 12.1% max gradient of the climb beyond the Gardeners Arms would otherwise have interesting. Normally avoid the Beryl Burton cycleway on a Sunday afternoon due to the amount of walkers / dogs on it but seeing two other cyclists heading east on it decided to follow suit and actually managed a PR down the descent.
BerylB.jpg

Waterside/ High Street avoidance route through the suburbs of Knaresborough and headed out of the town on a very quite section of the A59. Reaching the roundabout with the bypass I had originally intended on going through Goldsborough but seeing another cyclist turn left onto the now busy A59 towards York decided to the same.
A59 e of k.jpg

A good decision as the volume of traffic implied any attempt to turn right onto it after passing through Goldsborough would have been somewhat difficult. Turned off passing Morrisons potato store through Flaxby, Coneythorpe and Arkendale to that bench in Staveley. Then through Minskip and Boroughbridge.
Boroughbridge.jpg

North west through Skelton on Ure and Bridge Hewick towards Ripon crossing the River Ure on the Grade II listed Hewick Bridge
Ure.jpg

The racecourse was busy with a car boot sale. Crossed over the canal and towards Littlethorpe passed through a weird road closure in that apart from the signs saying such it was completely passable although narrowed slightly by the road works. Thought of stopping for a snack by the stream in Bishop Monkton as per last Sunday but it seemed too early so continued onto Burton Leonard thinking there must be a bench there, or make that a number; there was also one in the building.
Burton Leonard.jpg

Out of the village along Apron Lane another PR was oddly achieved as I stopped briefly to check that I had not left a camera battery behind. Decision made on the route from the crossorods east of Farnham - home via the A61 between Ripley and Killinghall to avoid Bilton Lane. On the fast down grade into Farnham for some reason I braked slightly; a car then appeared and turned across my path resulting in another brake application but not the harsh one that otherwise might have been required; the driver acknowledging mistake.
39.99 miles 1735ft climbed, 13.7 mph average
0707 route.jpg

0707 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Headed out this afternoon with the intention of going west to Innerleithen then heading into the forecast northerly wind. The wind, however, appeared to be more of a gusty westerly. After Wednesday's ride I'd ordered a new gear cable as the rear shifting was getting very sticky and I had decided, without any inspection, that a new bit of outer was needed at the rear. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.
The constant changes in gradient and wind velocity necessitated frequent gear changes which got steadily worse until just past Walkerburn when the cable went BANG at the shifter.
I briefly thought of carrying on to Innerleithen to buy a spare, but didn't have any money with me. A quick twiddle on the limit screw fixed the rear mech on the 16T sprocket. One of the oft overlooked advantages of a triple is that in these situations you can then ride it as a three speed. Three gears were enough when I were a lad!
Having turned for home the wind also decided to turn 180 degrees, or more likely it was actually from the north all along but being funnelled alternatively east and west by the deep glen the River Tweed runs down.
I stopped on Ashiesteel Bridge over the aforementioned river for a photo. Note the upward pointing end of the gear cable. :smile:

IMG_20190707_155151[1].jpg

As I got back on the bike a van pulled up, turned out it was a mate who'd been out on his efatbike on the moors. I was only 5 miles from home and enjoying riding a three speed so turned down the offer of a lift.

Today's map -

upload_2019-7-7_22-47-4.png

25.1 miles @ 14.4 mph, 422m up and down.

C R

Guru
After not being able to go out for a long ride and having to make do with short outings for the last couple of weeks, I was quite looking forward to today's ride, and it didn't disappoint.

Out early as usual, 6:30, the forecast was cloudy but dry, so shorts and short sleeve jersey. It was cooler than expected, and it took a few minutes before the exertion overcame the chill.

Down the A38 though Kempsey, and then a left for Kerswell Green at Baynhall, found myself reaching the top of Kinnersley Bank in no time. Swift descent into the village, followed by some swift braking before going into the loose gravel. The council has been dressing roads here and there, and the section between Kinnersley village and the turn for Earls Croome has fallen victim to it. Luckily I scrubbed enough speed before entering the gravelled area.

After Kinnersley took a right for Earls Croome, and then a left for Defford at the main road, past Baughton, over the M5, and then a bit of up and down before the right turn for Eckington. I am getting better at pacing, and my fitness is also improving, so I still have some breath left by the time I reach the top of the ramp before the turn. From here it is all downhill to the bridge.

The lights for the bridge were red as I was approaching, but I could hear a car coming fast behind me, they overtook, but had almost no space left to stop for the lights due to the speed. Lucky for them, no one was coming from the other side, and the light changed just in time. Over the bridge, and a bit of a break in the picnic area, where there were three or four boats moored, which seemed to annoy a couple of anglers that had just arrived. I had the impression that the moorings were not to be used overnight, so probably the anglers were justified in their annoyance.

Anyhow, I set off through Eckington, heading for Westmancote. My legs were feeling good, keeping a rather good for me 15.5 mph. I could have been faster, but I wanted to keep steady, and make sure I had legs left till the end of the ride.

So got to Westmancote, and then headed for Conderton, via Kemerton and Overbury. This is a gentle climb, and I could still keep a reasonable speed. After Conderton there's a quick descent to Beckford, and then again a gentle climb to Ashton under the Hill, followed by a somewhat more demanding climb to Kersoe, which was the highest point of my ride today. Still, it felt a lot easier than last time I was this way.

From Kersoe it is pretty much downhill all the way to Pershore, and I took advantage by pushing a bit to keep my average speed up.

From Pershore i went through the usual route via Wadborough and Littleworth for home.

The map

IMG_20190707_232753.jpg

Just under a year ago I rode my first metric half. Since then my fitness has improved significantly, and I have learnt a lot about how to pace myself and how to approach the ride. I think my average speed on my first metric half was around 12.5mph, today's ride was my longest so far, and also the fastest long ride I have done. Not bad progress in a year.

Gina's second ride since her son't passing. Today was the second month anniversary of his passing. Glad I was able to get her out there again. Seems to be coming along well. 15.9 average over 25 miles. It was nice for her to see and talk to friends again. I think it helps her release.

Wore my cranky old bastard jersey today. Gets plenty of comments when I wear it. All the old guys want one!
DSCN0835.JPG
DSCN0850.JPG
DSCN0851.JPG

Top Bottom