Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With nothing better to do today, I thought I'd have a go at completing the hattrick of 50k (Sunday, just a routine loop so not put on here, 50 miles (as above) and 100k for July. The cold I thought I'd sweated out on Sunday seemed to have come back as I woke up with a sore throat and a bit bunged up, but nothing I couldn't cope with.

As light winds had been predicted, I'd decided on a ride out to Newmarket from where I'd get the train back - I've done it the other way round a couple of times so I made few changes due to a couple of places I wanted to have a look at and reversed the direction leaving a ride of just under 60 miles which I'd hoped to take over the 62 and a bit mark by going round the top of, rather than through, Ipswich.

Once out the other side of town, the route took me through the picturesque villages of Chelsworth, Monks Eleigh, Brent Eleigh and into Lavenham where every other building appears to be a medieval cottage. Up from there to Cockfield and Hawstead then across to Whepstead and Hargrave and up to Higham for one of the modifications to the previous routes...
IMG_20190709_132059811.jpg
And then Gazeley and Moulton for the other reason for the modified route...
IMG_20190709_133831480.jpg
A final 5 miles took me into Newmarket where I discovered that I'd miscalculated how much extra distance going round Ipswich would give me and I was just over a mile/2km short of the target distance but with a train due in 5 minutes - which took priority? An easy chioce - with trains every hour, but no certainty that I'd get another chance for the 100k this month, a quick blast up to Ashley and back gave me the target distance and a bit of a chance to relax before heading home
IMG_20190709_151717493.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/2517387632
Screenshot_2019-07-09 Out to Newmarket for July's 100k Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-07-09 Out to Newmarket for July's 100k Ride Strava(1).png

Old jon

Guru
Some cloud about this morning, and warm with it. After fixing the fixed yesterday it is time to go out and make sure it was proper fixed. There is always that doubt which can only be resolved by taking the thing out and riding it.

No problem with that, pedal away through Holbeck and Hunslet in the direction of John o’ Gaunts finding a lot of traffic lights at red on the way. This man is a creature of habit but today I had left the house maybe thirty minutes earlier than usual, maybe the lights were still in rush hour mode. The climb to the former pit village seemed easier than usual, I checked which way the flags were flying just in case, but it was the usual cross wind. Drop past the railway station at Woodlesford, maybe the climb had been easier but spinning down that hill showed that more practice is needed on fixed wheel. Which is what I was doing, anyway! Across the waterways after a left turn and start the rise through Swillington. And the longer rise afterwards, which made me think a bit. So at the Garforth roundabout I turned right, ‘cos thinking said I was climbing well. Garforth Cliff proved the thinking wrong, had to stop part way up. Once breath had returned the restart was less than easy, but the crest of the hill lets you see there is not much higher ground for miles around.

Straight across the roundabout at Peckfield Bar and along the more or less straight road to the next roundabout, a bit north of the ( ex ) Boot and Shoe. Turn left for Micklefield and ride the long way through to eventually reach the crossroads with the B 1217 at Hook Moor. Turn right towards the gates at Lotherton House. And then left to ride to Aberford.

This could be called the start of the homeward stretch, it is certainly the bumpiest part of the whole ride. Or maybe it just feels that way, tired legs and all that. After the rise on the Main Street turn left onto Cattle Lane, pedal along to Barwick past Tina’s Tea Rooms after crossing Cock Beck. That last bit up to the maypole had me breathing heavy but things level out a bit, not a lot, after that. Down to Scholes and up to ride through it and to the A 64. Today I was not in a hurry at all, there was a Red Kite floating about above the road junction. Did I want to go? Nope, waited until the bird found something interesting and out of my sight, then rode along my way, a happier man.
There should be a better word than elevation . . .

10072019 Elevation.jpg

Turn right for the usual three lanes to reach the A 58, and the other side of the crossroads a For Sale sign. For something like a distinguished old hall. Could that be Red Hall? Four or five years ago Leeds Parks Department were trying to find someone to move a lot of flagstones from there, I wonder if they have moved out? No matter, I turned left for the descent of Boot Hill, still not spinning faster than twenty six. Turn right, the quieter way, down the hill towards town, along by the bus station and across the river on Crown Point Bridge. Shortcut through a bit of Hunslet and up Dewsbury Road to home. Thirty one and a bit miles, just over 50 km for the metrified, one happy rider.

The map. For no change at all.

10072019.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some lovely roads round there I recall from van driving days in that area. Have you ever attempted going to Newtown via Minsterley, Churchstoke, Sarn and Kerry? It always looked like one of those brilliant routes to cycle.
No, I haven't ventured over to Newtown. I ride round the Minsterley area fairly regularly and also go over to Montgomery but could probably do with exploring over that way a bit more.
I had something similar happen to me, only the wasp in question managed a successful 3-sting penile assault before I finally despatched it! :eek:
:eek::eek:
Fortunately it didn't get to there. That would have been a ride finisher for sure.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just an easy jaunt on the knockabout bike yesterday evening; into town ad out along the canal path to Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Cound, Acton Burnell then back via Cantlop, Condover and Lyth Hill.

I saw my brother at work - I waved but he was concentrating so didn't see me. Lots of people in the Quarry and the river had a good selection of small craft on it too. A few people out cycling but none of them looked like they were enjoying themselves much.

Fairly light traffic once out of town which was good but I was finding the bike very sluggish this trip, so didn't get on very fast. I took the most direct lane from Cound to Acton Burnell for a change, which was slow as it's a gentle climb the whole way.

A pleasant ride. I was out for around the same amount of time as the ride on Sunday but this one was ten miles shorter.

26.1 miles at 12.7 mph average.

DSC0007526.jpg

Sabrina has just turned and is heading back upstream. Doug is the skipper today.

DSC0007529.jpg

Sunken lane on my way to Acton Burnell.

DSC0007532.jpg

Looking at Lyth Hill from near Cantlop.

DSC0007533.jpg

Quite misty over the Stretton Hills as I look back from Lyth Hill. Shame the camera hasn't captured the quality of the light.

I'd hoped to get out during the day today but that hasn't worked out. Hopefully I'll get a chance a little later.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H and Pete M were in for this one. Standard run out to Pendock to go further south by Highleadon. Conditions were ideal with good warmth and bright skies. We were making good progress to Birdwood. Jules loves the valley scenery at Flaxley and was looking forward to that. The ramp up from there had Pete attempting to get the pace up but he hasn't got enough miles in recently. Longhope arrived and we had some superb lunch at the Bakery.
Barrel lane took us below the heights of May Hill so that we could take to Linton ridge. Superb views all the way to Clee Hill today. We dodged by Fish Pool to take the standard return from Dymock to complete a lovely ride out in glorious Gloucestershire. 71 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Didn't get out on the bike yesterday, as I took the chance for a little sleep in and then sat watching a doe in the wheat field by the house. (We have seen deer every day so far, and they are just great to watch). Today I was itching to get another pre-breakfast ride in and started early (7.00am) in cool morning air and beautiful light conditions. (No deer).
171 Morning light, near St Marcel du Perigord.JPG

Not having gone at all north so far, I headed off in that direction, and the ride ended up being an "All Saints" ride ..... taking in St Marcel du Perigord, St Laurent des Batons, Ste Alvere, Ste Foy de Longas and St Felix de Villadeix. Unfortunately, not one of them seemed to be the patron saint of directions, and for once orienteering skills were very much called upon. When I got to about 1 km from St Laurent des Batons (which, as the name might suggest, was really out in the sticks), the road sign said "St Laurent des B 0.1" (???). 1km later, I arrived there, wondering what was going on with the signage.
172 St Laurent des Batons.JPG

By that point I'd already gone past several junctions and crossroads that were not shown on the Michelin map of the Dordogne, and had encountered a couple of junctions that had no direction signs at all. About another 1km slog up the hill from St Laurent, I came across a "Route Barree" sign and a road crew busy laying tarmac. This required a U-turn, a retrace and careful navigation past several more unmarked junctions and non-existent roads, eventually delivering me here:
173.JPG

Someone was having a laugh. More lovely countryside followed, though a long stretch of road had recently been surface dressed by the road crew that I could hear in the distance, and who had forced me to U-turn earlier. Sod's Law dictated that this became the busiest stretch of road of the whole route, and I got showered in gravel. No harm done, though.
174.JPG

I eventually made my way to Ste Alvere, which was the biggest village I've found around here .... big enough for not one, but two boulangeries and a castle too. I liked the place:
176.JPG

From there it was plain sailing, down the D32 along the Louyre valley, gently descending all the way and cruising easily at over 15mph. I passed a couple of groups of cyclists heading the other way before pulling over for the obligatory gratuitous bike shot in front of another ruined castle and a straw bale:
177 Longas Chateau.JPG

One final climb back up to the gite later, I arrived back at the driveway only to flush a panicked critter from the hedge. .... which brings us back to the doe (a deer .... a female deer):
178 Deer.JPG

Finally, today's Flatnav shot (23.4 miles today, bringing up 97 miles in 4 rides):
179 Flatnav Weds 10 Jul 19.JPG

Can't believe my week is nearly over now. I can certainly recommend the Perigord for cycling holidays. It is quite hilly, but nothing too steep and nothing too long. Beautiful countryside. I'll do one last short ride tomorrow just to take my total over 100 miles in five pre-breakfast rides this week. I've loved all of them so far.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
We've been to Delamere Forest this week and I pinched a day off to do this.

upload_2019-7-11_15-21-45.png

Loosely based on the Cheshire Loops Permanent Audax, it's a lovely route spoiled only by some very bad road surfaces in places. Cheshire seems to be a very affluent place so you'd think they'd be able to look after their roads a bit better. Must rip a lot of spoilers from their Porsches :tongue:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@Donger another nice report, dead jealous.

My ride today was a blast over to Wallingford and back with the Fragrant MrsP via some convoluted route through a few of the villages, lovely warm day with a nice tail wind out and a bugger of a cross/head wind back, and a little faff around at the end to round the miles up to 20.

If it goes over the target you round it up to, do you have to round it up again?

No photos today ‘cos the Fragrant MrsP doesn’t like to stop.

20 miles, as near as feck it is to swearing anyway.

A map.

63223359-EE4C-4DAB-8085-FFE7239FD15B.jpeg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Bike back from repair shop, creaking from cassette sorted so out for a wee spin. I also thought I'd better get some practice in with the wee camera the wife & I will be using on our holidays.
DSC00706.JPG

Obligatory "Your bike in front of a National Monument" pic

DSC00709.JPG

But I like this pic -

DSC00712.JPG

That's Stirling Castle in the background.

With nothing better to do today, I thought I'd have a go at completing the hattrick of 50k (Sunday, just a routine loop so not put on here, 50 miles (as above) and 100k for July. The cold I thought I'd sweated out on Sunday seemed to have come back as I woke up with a sore throat and a bit bunged up, but nothing I couldn't cope with.

As light winds had been predicted, I'd decided on a ride out to Newmarket from where I'd get the train back - I've done it the other way round a couple of times so I made few changes due to a couple of places I wanted to have a look at and reversed the direction leaving a ride of just under 60 miles which I'd hoped to take over the 62 and a bit mark by going round the top of, rather than through, Ipswich.

Once out the other side of town, the route took me through the picturesque villages of Chelsworth, Monks Eleigh, Brent Eleigh and into Lavenham where every other building appears to be a medieval cottage. Up from there to Cockfield and Hawstead then across to Whepstead and Hargrave and up to Higham for one of the modifications to the previous routes...
View attachment 474823 And then Gazeley and Moulton for the other reason for the modified route...
View attachment 474824 A final 5 miles took me into Newmarket where I discovered that I'd miscalculated how much extra distance going round Ipswich would give me and I was just over a mile/2km short of the target distance but with a train due in 5 minutes - which took priority? An easy chioce - with trains every hour, but no certainty that I'd get another chance for the 100k this month, a quick blast up to Ashley and back gave me the target distance and a bit of a chance to relax before heading home
View attachment 474825 https://www.strava.com/activities/2517387632
View attachment 474827 View attachment 474826
That's a nice bridge ('flint'?)
I presume that the river/stream has been culverted under the road, or has it simply dried up?
I doubt it's an Irish Bridge, as the (actual) bridge Is too high for that

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A bit of a wildlife special today. My final ride in the Perigord. Rode the 7 miles or so down the hill to cross the Dordogne one more time (actually twice as I had to get home again) and find a new road or two. I got held up for a while at the beginning as I spotted the deer again through the kitchen window. There is a newly-planted wildlife corridor at the bottom of the garden, and we've seen the deer using it every day so far .... to cut across to a small sunken watering hole full of bullrushes nearby. Got two decent shots through glass:
P1050047.JPG

P1050045.JPG

When I was finally underway, I got barely two miles down the road towards Liorac when I spotted this little lot on someone's lawn next to the river Louyre:
P1050052.JPG

I am 99% certain this is a young family of coypu .... a mother and six fluffy babies, who were grazing on a lawn .... when not gambolling about jumping on top of each other playfully. Here's a shot just of the babies (come to think of it, there might have been seven of them, which is apparently a typical brood):
P1050055.JPG

The mother was about the size of a large cat, and I initially mistook it for a beaver. The cool morning air was warming up quickly and the sun was getting hot quite early this morning. It was turning into another beautiful day by the time I got to Liorac and headed for the Dordogne:
P1050056.JPG

Crossed the river between Mouleydier and St Germain et Mons ......
P1050059.JPG

..... before crossing back to St Capraise de Lalinde and climbing back uphill through woods and meadows to the gite one last time. This is the Flatnav shot of my last ride (I don't recommend the short stretch of main road, which was busy with big trucks heading for Bergerac). 19.6 miles:
P1050065.JPG

.... and this is the whole week's cycling as shown on Flatnav (116.6 miles in 5 rides):
P1050064.JPG

Ready for the long drive home now. I'll soon be back to reporting club rides and my usual pootles around the lanes of Gloucestershire.
Cheers, Donger. p.s. Also spotted a buzzard, a jay and a heron today. Everything seems to come out in the cool of the morning for about an hour after sunrise.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
That's a nice bridge ('flint'?)
I presume that the river/stream has been culverted under the road, or has it simply dried up?
I doubt it's an Irish Bridge, as the (actual) bridge Is too high for that
It's over the River Kennett which at that point runs in a culvert under the road, but probably becomes a ford when it's been a lot wetter than it's been recently. There's a proper ford about 1/4 mile down a side road and an information panel by the side of the bridge...
Moulton Packhorse Bridge (3).jpg
Moulton Ford (River Kennett).jpg

Top Bottom