Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Late morning ride north via Killinghall and Ripley on the Defy today then, equalling yet again my fastest time, up the climb of Scarah Bank. The westerly climb to Brimham Rocks was enlivened by some idiots in a pick up wagon complaining I was not far enough to the side to let them pass as they passed by :wacko: questioned their parentage :cursing: Turned into Brimham Rocks and found a bench height stone in the total absence of any benches. Down towards Burnt Yates the road had been surface dressed but was generally well compacted and I went up the climb of Barkhouse bank slightly quicker than in May.
Down the eastern Clint Bank to Hampsthwaite where Spiderman was present:eek:
Hampsthwaite sman.jpg

Took the steeper way up to Swincliffe Top in a new PR, west to fringes of Kettlesing, then to the side of Menwith Hill, looping round to cross the A59 at Dangerous Corner and home via Penny Pot and a poodle free Country Park. Wind was a light northerly such that only three of the wind turbines at Knabbs Ridge could be bothered to try to turn. 29.92 miles 2069ft climbed 12.9 Avg MPH

13-7-19.jpg
13-7-19 ele.jpg

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've been abandoned by my usual imperial century rider @13 rider. He claims he has gone on holiday. So used the opportunity to go grab some explorer squares and have a relaxed ride, yeah right :laugh:

So out the door this morning at 05:40, should get to the first cafe stop around 09:40. A bit cloudy but warm enough to not worry about arm warmers, pretty much due south for the first 25 miles, wind behind me and I make great time, hit the first real hill of the day (for around here) up and over it and onto the A45 for what I was expecting to be a very busy road. Luckily I was only on it for half a mile or so and with it being early on a Saturday it was very quiet.

Headed to a place called Wollscott where I went for the first off road bit of the day as I had to go a couple of hundred yards up a bridleway, proper field one ^_^

Round to Draycote Water, into the car park and straight back out having grabbed another square.

A few more devations at Hill Wooton and Leek Wooton and I get a fantastic downhill section into Warwick.

Get to the first cafe stop (Hatton Wharf) at roughly 9:15, I was averaging nearly 17mph. They are busy so I'm there a good half hour, eventually one sausage sandwich and a latte later and I'm heading to the up and down bit of the ride as I start going north. bag the two squares near Temple Balsall that I missed last month and onto Birmingham Airport.

I thought this bit would be a biy hairy, but the roads around there are really wide and it was fairly quiet. Navigate my way over the M6 and M42 to the only real serious climb of the day, and even then it's only about 270 feet over a mile, managed to do it in the big ring, just getting to the top feeling pleased with myself when some skinny old bugger went shooting by me, at least he said hello before he disappeared into the distance :rolleyes:

Get to Astley book farm on 88 miles and decide to have a second stop. Latte, coke and Rocky Road here and I'm on my way again. At this point I was a good hour ahead of where I thought I would be, so being back on familiar roads I decided to abandon the original route which would have seen me finish on 111 miles and zig zag my way to Lutterworth before heading home, hopefully stretching the ride to 125 miles for the double metric.

on 109 miles the sky is getting pretty dark and it looks like it is going to chuck it down, but despite threatening, it stayed dry all the way home

For those that know the area, I went to Bulkington, headed south to Shilton, north to Wolvey, south to Monks Kirby and then north to Ullesthorpe. By the time I got to Bitteswell, the village before Lutterworth I had enough miles in the bag so turned for home.

Stopped at Countesthorpe for a pint of milk, drank it and got home just after 14:00 and 127 miles on the clock

Cracking days ride, but will be glad @13 rider will be back for August

https://www.strava.com/activities/2528369824

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I've been abandoned by my usual imperial century rider @13 rider. He claims he has gone on holiday. So used the opportunity to go grab some explorer squares and have a relaxed ride, yeah right :laugh:

So out the door this morning at 05:40, should get to the first cafe stop around 09:40. A bit cloudy but warm enough to not worry about arm warmers, pretty much due south for the first 25 miles, wind behind me and I make great time, hit the first real hill of the day (for around here) up and over it and onto the A45 for what I was expecting to be a very busy road. Luckily I was only on it for half a mile or so and with it being early on a Saturday it was very quiet.

Headed to a place called Wollscott where I went for the first off road bit of the day as I had to go a couple of hundred yards up a bridleway, proper field one ^_^

Round to Draycote Water, into the car park and straight back out having grabbedanother square.

A few more devationsat Hull Wooton and Leek Wooton and I get a fantastic downhill section into Warwick.

Get to the first cafe stop (Hatton Wharf) at roughly 9:15, I was averaging nearly 17mph. They are busy so I'm there a good half hour, eventually one sausage sandwich and a latte later and I'm heading to the up and down bit of the ride as I start going north. bag the two squares near Temple Balsall that I missed last month and onto Birmingham Airport.

I thought this bit would be a biy hairy, but the roads around there are really wide and it was fairly quiet. Navigate my way over the M6 and M42 to the only real serious climb of the day, and even then it's only about 270 feet over a mile, managed to do it in the big ring, just getting to the top feeling pleased with myself when some skinny old bugger went shooting by me, at least he said hello before he disappeared into the distance :rolleyes:

Get to Astley book farm on 88 miles and decide to have a second stop. Latte, coke and Rocky Road here and I'm on my way again. At this point I was a good hour ahead of where I thought I would be, so being back on familiar roads I decided to abandon the original route which would have seen me finish on 111 miles and zig zag my way to Lutterworth before heading home, hopefully stretching the ride to 125 miles for the double metric.

on 109 miles the sky is getting pretty dark and it looks like it is going to chuck it down, but despite threatening, it stayed dry all the way home

For those that know the area, I went to Bulkington, headed south to Shilton, north to Wolvey, south to Monks Kirby and then north to Ullesthorpe. By the time I got to Bitteswell, the village before Lutterworth I had enough miles in the bag so turned for home.

Stopped at Countesthorpe for a pint of milk, drank it and got home just have 14:00 and 127 miles on the clock

Cracking days ride, but will be glad @13 rider will be back for August

https://www.strava.com/activities/2528369824
Yes enjoying my holidays . Normal service resumes in August :okay:

the_craig

Über Member
So today I went on a post-fettling ride (see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/upgrading-from-7-speed-to-9-speed.250318/). My new 9 speed was running well with just some fine tuning on my front mech needed.

So, to my route. From Shotts to Polbeth via Fauldhouse and Stoneyburn. Went by the local zoo and heard the lions roaring at half 7ish. Think that's one for the 'Strange things' thread. On the lions, they were rescued from a circus in Belgium and brought to Scotland. Read their heartbreaking story HERE. From Polbeth to Carluke via my new favourite route through Auchengrey then a long way home. Before a stop at the butchers for rolls, sausages and tattie scones.

69.6km
23.9km/h average
789m up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2527758667

Back on the bike after a bit of a hiatus - that pollen bomb a couple of weeks ago (man, I hate suffering from hayfever) and then a bout of food poisoning hot on the heels of that. Joy... NOT.

Anyways, just a gentle seven mile bimble at tea time to Pymoor Sidings and back on Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Good to get back in the saddle, though my bum's not thanking me. Am supposed to be riding a 50k next Sunday, but that's now up in the air somewhat...

8 mile climb up a local mountain road we call GMR (Glenmdora Mtn Rd). 2,100 ft gain in the 8 miles. Average temp of 88 degrees, high of 105 according to my Garmin. It was hot on the first 4 miles as there is no shade from the sun. Second half there is a little shade but not enough ha ha!

I wore my Fat Bastard jersey. Some hot racer chick rolled by and shouted, "you aren't a fat bastard!". Nice cleavage and open jersey but no way could I stay in front of her to get a good look ha ha! She was really fast!

But anyway, I made it up, ran out of water, hot but I had to take my pic anyway!

DSCN0858A.JPG
DSCN0862.JPG

It was the London Freize sculpture fair in Regent's Park this weekend, so I built a quick walking tour around the park into today's ride.

View attachment 475266

'when I sleep' by Tracey Emin
View attachment 475272

No-one covered the figure with old bed-sheets & dirty clothes?:okay:

And the elephants, with a Disc on them?
Hmm, haven't I seen something vaguely like that before :unsure:

9cc8b8af62f3f21344d6de7b92b2fd67.jpg.png

View attachment 475288

Nipped out this morning for a quick ride out, stopped off in Morley & took this, it’s the mural of Beryl Burton, it’s in a seated area behind Beryl Burton gardens.
I have a look every time I go to Morley
I am told, but can't corroborate the fact, that the Wetherspoons, in the town has a BB memorabilia wall
Anyone know??

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I cycled over the Wallingford Festival of cycling this morning and took part in one of the Sportive routes, the 60k / 37 mile.

It was very quiet for a sportive, so I don’t know if it was poorly attended or we were early, but it was a quick and easy sign in, a short briefing and on our way.

It cool and drizzling when we set off but soon dried but the cloud stayed and it really didn’t get warm, the first half was a bit lumpy but after Stockenchurch it was down hill and stayed mostly flat afterwards.

Got back to the finish and had look round the cycle ‘Village’ had a beer and burger cycled home.

A gnats nadger over 53 miles in total.

Not much in the way of photos because everything looked s bit drab because of the clouds.

8F9FCFC1-4BB6-4DB4-B267-106FB34D93D2.jpeg

Quite a nice medal.

96DFC350-5A45-4923-A8D2-64B4C05E50AC.png

D99D2BA4-A8D4-4DCA-9BEA-185372A0779C.jpeg

The lumpy bits.

4C4BECAD-B8B3-4BC0-85C2-DAB41494F244.jpeg

The Route.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
E3F8AE6F-ED3F-4615-A30B-EFC785BD0C50.jpeg
0F9E277A-2E91-4699-A9D1-5E62458DAD03.jpeg
2A765B90-59A4-438D-9660-30D62A6AEC91.jpeg
C01A1B3F-5F89-4D22-8F46-6A477BC3818C.jpeg
6E9D26A7-1397-4305-92C9-8531401C62DD.jpeg

Out on the Tricross at 9.30am to meet up with Martin and Gaynor in Ulleskelf for a Steady ride into York for a coffee by The Minster. 35 miles with an average of 14.7 mph, lovely morning out.

colly

Re member eR
My ride yesterday was a Forum Ride organised by the ever busy @ColinJ. York to the Humber Bridge and then back again via Stamford Bridge.

A bit of a late start because of er?... me, getting on a later train.

Just Colin and me for the first 25 miles where at Howden we collected @Soltydog. I met Soltydog shortly after I came on the forum. Nice to catch up again.
A bit of an overcast day at times with the occasional attempt at rain but in fact it was ideal for riding in. Warm enough without being hot and sweaty.
I'll not steal Colin's thunder but I'll let his report give all the details of the ride. It involved several stops for repairs and punctures etc.
After Paul aka soltydog broke for home on the return journey at Holme on Spalding Moor Colin and I made for Stamford Bridge to loop back and come into York from the north east.
About a mile from the station the heavens opened and we rocked up to the station among the raceday revellers wet through. I got home around 10pm
A really good day out and a terrific ride.

107 miles York to York with a surprising, for a flat ride, 2300 ft of climbing. Fixed. With the rides to and from the stations it made a daily total for me of
113.5 miles

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37213826

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
107 miles York to York with a surprising, for a flat ride, 2300 ft of climbing. Fixed. With the rides to and from the stations it made a daily total for me of
113.5 miles
I clocked it at 172 km, which is, er... yes - 107 miles!

I think that @colly's ride was his longest ever.

I was on my singlespeed. I'll do my report over in the actual ride thread.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
No ride yesterday, so took the chance to get out for an hour or so this morning. On the Giant again, while the Boardman is sorted.

Coal Road led me to Skeltons Lane and then the A58 to Whin Moor Lane and the wend between the fields to Shadwell. Down the hill through the village and up the rise to recross the A58 onto Carr Lane.
This route into Thorner is mainly downhill, except for the hill in the middle where the S-bends are to keep your legs warm.
Once in the village round past the church to find Milner Lane closed and coned off - actually, @Old jon mentioned that in a post the other day, but for whatever reason it didn't stick in my mind.
Ah well, that just leaves the climb up Church Hill as an option then.
Eventually the top was reached and the reward is a gently dropping road all the way to Bramham Park - although with a slight headwind today a little effort was needed to keep things moving respectably. A slight rise past the park and then the steep descent into the main Wothersome Dip. Which is immediately followed by an even steeper climb back out of it.
Stopped at the top to sort my front light out which had twisted round on it's bracket and was now pointing straight up. And put my lungs back in. But it was mainly the light I stopped for. :whistle:

Which way now - to head for Jewitt Lane where I'd originally intended doing a loop would leave two unappetising options for my return - either back the way I'd just ridden, which would mean tackling the Dip again followed by a steady uphill drag and once in Thorner another climb out of the village, or drop down off the ridge onto the busy A58 and climb all the way back up there through Bardsey and Scarcroft. So I headed for Bramham, which was not only slightly downhill, but also gave me different options.

Over the A1(M) bridge and down into the village, thinking I could loop around on Aberford Road and out into the countryside only to have that plan thwarted by the "Bramham 10k" road race, which was headed straight down there towards me with runners everywhere, so I stayed on Paradise Way.
Unusually, I stayed on the road rather than the normally deserted shared path (NCN R66) as the runners were also using that...:dry:
Blooming runners - Channel 5 should do a programme about them...:laugh:

Fortunately traffic was light and well behaved and I was soon at Bramham Crossroads, so round that and onto the former A1, now just Main Street heading for Aberford. Once the edge of the village is reached there is a lovely long stretch of downhill, which took me across the bridge and to the right turn onto Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick. Through there and the steady ascent almost all the way to Scholes, then the drop through the fringes of the village to the Coronation Tree and down Leeds Road, over the bridge and up the other side and onto local roads up to home.

18.87 miles (30.36 km) in 1h 31m at an average of 12.4 mph with 1,026 ft climbed and an average temperature of 17.1°C

Enjoyed that, despite several motorised muppets - plus one who overtook me fully on the opposite side of the road :okay:, then stayed out there for over 100 yards once clear including past a junction :ohmy:. Lots of cyclists out and about today, including a small group of Seacroft Wheelers who couldn't have been cheerier with their greetings if they'd tried. Not the route I'd planned but it's good to shake it up a bit now and then, even if I had little choice in matters today!

Apologies, no pics today as I didn't stop - everywhere I'd half planned to stop there were either other people already there (or runners!) or the sun had gone in, so I was virtually home before I realised I'd not stopped at all. But to make up for that, here's a map:
14072019.JPG

pawl

Legendary Member
View attachment 475431 View attachment 475432 View attachment 475433 View attachment 475434 View attachment 475435

Out on the Tricross at 9.30am to meet up with Martin and Gaynor in Ulleskelf for a Steady ride into York for a coffee by The Minster. 35 miles with an average of 14.7 mph, lovely morning out.

The pics make me very envious..I love Yorkshire from the dales to the North York Moors and onto the coast at Whitby.A county of beautiful ,contrasting vistas.

Top Bottom