Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Flexi day off work today i.e. I’ve worked too many hours and they will not pay overtime. So almost a normal ride this afternoon to Arkendale except that I turned right instead of the usual left at the junction in Nidd and consequently joined the Ripley to Knaresborough further west than normal. This gave the advantage of passing the normal joining point in a fast speed and consequentially up the climb that follows in a new fast time.
wee hill.jpg

From Arkendale continued west and eventually the undulating route found a vista of the Vale of York
voy.jpg

The Romans got here first so no chance of a road following the flatter land; more undulations heading south east on Dere Street, nowadays part of the B6265.
Dere st.jpg

In Green Hammerton the Bay Horse sits at a quite crossroads these days. Was not always the case, the road from the right and that straight on was the A59 until the by-pass was built but the junction has always been laid out as it is today with eastbound traffic on the A59 having to give way – the tail backs were immense at times.
Green Hammerton.jpg

Joined the A59 for quick down grade dash into Kirk Hammerton and a right turn into the main part of the village. The village train station, Hammerton, adjoins an as yet unmodernised level crossing.
Kirk Hammerton.jpg

West then south to Cattal where a real life Transformer passed by
Cattal.jpg

Continuing west via Hunsingore, Walshford and North Deighton reached Spofforth where the Defy detracted from the WW1 memorial
Spofforth memorial.jpg

Then north west following the route of NCN67 through Follifoot, onto the A658 briefly, and along Rudding Lane, the traffic lights on the narrow bridge as normal went red. It was school kicking out time when I reached Harrogate so a deal of rat running crossing the parkland known as the Stray
Stray.jpg

38.93 miles 1784ft climbed Avg 13.9 mph.
150719 map.jpg

150719 ele.jpg

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Joined the A59 for quick down grade dash into Kirk Hammerton and a right turn into the main part of the village. The village train station, Hammerton, adjoins an as yet unmodernised level crossing.

Have you ever been caught at that crossing? Takes around 15 minutes if both an East and West bound train are due at about the same time. Easily enough time to nip into the pub for a pint if you're stuck on the North side.

I had an unexpected ride this afternoon, as we did have other plans, so my luck was in. It was warm and humid out and I toyed with which of my normal routes to take, however I chose my Mendlesham and Cotton one as there are plenty of turn offs if need be. Now I must have chosen this route for a reason. That reason came at about 4 1/2 miles when I came across two female cyclists on a traffic island, one had a puncture and was on the phone to her husband. Long story short. As I had two spare inner tubes (always carry two) I changed her rear inner tube and got her back up and running. Luckily my inner tube was the right size for her tyre. I can`t remember the make of tyre but it was the easiest I have ever taken off and re-fitted. They continued on their way and I caught up with them a mile or so up the road. They still had a fair way to go. I continued to Mendlesham, Cotton, Bacton and Old Newton, where I stopped to text the wife that I`d be another 20 minutes or so, as she gets worried if I don`t show at the time I say I`ll be back. My word it was a warm cycle. Now don`t get me wrong, I`ve cycled in far higher temperatures ( it was 24 degrees) but the humidity seemed to be high, the sky certainly looked stormy. The ride finished at 21.8 at 18.3mph average. I just hope that the two ladies got back home safely without further ado. They did say that cyclists are always so kind, I`d tend to agree as people have always called out to me if I have stopped for any reason. Sorry, no pictures to add.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Given up on strava..
Been out doing xc rides with Son in law a few evenings , all off road, stingers and brambles are having a whale of a time, our legs not so much.
Been glorious weather, 20 mile loop with a few really good technical xc sections, roots and sharp twisty turns with lots to duck and dodge branches.

Some pics

IMG_20190715_194946.jpg
IMG_20190715_194952.jpg
IMG_20190715_194943.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Had a days holiday today so had time for a quick ride, I started out the opposite way to normal towards the Moat Shed but turning for Northwood before I got that far and onto Waterloo, down Goblins Lane into Whixall and turned towards Hollinswood where I turned off to Tilstock finding the temporary traffic lights still there and not much work happening. In Tilstock I turned back towards Whixall down a very narrow lane where I don't normally meet any traffic apart from an occasional horse rider, I was moving along quite happily when I came face to face with a large tractor and silage trailor, luckily it was by a house so I could wait on their drive while he passed, I set off again thinking they normally travel in a convoy of at least 2 sometimes 3 when the next one appeared and I had to get off and wait on the very narrow verge ,they are huge when they are that close! After that I went to Alkington then Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, back to Hollinswood retracing the outward route in Whixall for a bit then just before I turn for home another tractor this time with a full muck spreader pulled out to go up our lane, I was happier following it rather it passing me although I did stay well back as it smells bad and drops stuff off the back every now and then, and back home. 17.48 miles at average 16.1mph and it was very hot.

Had a days holiday today so had time for a quick ride, I started out the opposite way to normal towards the Moat Shed but turning for Northwood before I got that far and onto Waterloo, down Goblins Lane into Whixall and turned towards Hollinswood where I turned off to Tilstock finding the temporary traffic lights still there and not much work happening. In Tilstock I turned back towards Whixall down a very narrow lane where I don't normally meet any traffic apart from an occasional horse rider, I was moving along quite happily when I came face to face with a large tractor and silage trailor, luckily it was by a house so I could wait on their drive while he passed, I set off again thinking they normally travel in a convoy of at least 2 sometimes 3 when the next one appeared and I had to get off and wait on the very narrow verge ,they are huge when they are that close! After that I went to Alkington then Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, back to Hollinswood retracing the outward route in Whixall for a bit then just before I turn for home another tractor this time with a full muck spreader pulled out to go up our lane, I was happier following it rather it passing me although I did stay well back as it smells bad and drops stuff off the back every now and then, and back home. 17.48 miles at average 16.1mph and it was very hot.

I too saw tractors out today, 3 to be precise and one digger. You never know what is going to be around the next corner do you ? I don`t blame you for staying back because of the smell, dustcarts are bad enough.

Another utility ride on Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Needed to pop to the local agricultural machinery place as the cutter deck drive belt they'd ordered for my mower was the wrong one and I had to take it back. Hopefully the right one will be ordered for me this time as I took the knackered belt along as well.

So out via Downham Common and Black Bank to the industrial estate. Sorted out what I needed to sort out. After that, I went for a bit of a bimble through Littleport, out via Station Road to take a short hop along the A10. From there, it was back down Camel Road and back into Littleport.

As I had locks with me, I stopped off at the Co-op on the Wisbech Road to see if there was anything interesting to be had on yellow sticker. Picked up two cartons of vegetable soup at 35p each and a tub of dark drinking chocolate for £1.50. Then back home the way I came.

Was really hot and sticky out, and swarms of those corn bug things were out in force. Thank goodness for my glasses keeping the blasted things out of my eyes, and I ended up resorting to arm warmers to keep them off. They tickle like blazes...

Loads of cyclists out and about though, all really friendly and cheerful. Except for the chap on a posh time trial bike who overtook me at warp speed.

About 11 miles all told.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1994563C-97C1-4D84-BC5B-B03CC76431C1.jpeg
9542973A-68CC-44BE-8BE4-8A0109549781.jpeg
B7566FF5-0350-41F2-90CF-8DC339D41416.jpeg
1B895C67-3ADF-4C9F-9F3C-401D6E3987C4.jpeg
3F7A0A6D-5229-445D-A3D9-740FACE03DBA.jpeg
C6FB45FA-20F7-4195-82D4-BFC300A14A30.jpeg
Phew, what a scorcher! I’m in Devon today visiting the MIL. I took the bike with me though and whilst the Fragrant MrsP was catching up with her mum I got a sneaky 20 mile ride in this morning and blagged the last letter in the ABC thread.

Started at the MIL in Witheridge and went mostly downhill via Filleigh and Lapford to Zeal Monachorum, had a pootle around but there’s now’t there ‘cept a Church.

Rode back more a less the same way stopped for a celebratory Magnum ice, and back home up a feckin great hill in Lapford.

A lovely ride out, lovely weather, and fantastic road surfaces on mostly quiet single track roads.

Cavalol

Guru
Lovely ride on the bargain Boardy I got at the weekend. Have to say it rode as well as bikes that cost me ten times the purchase price.

Had averaged just over 15mph on the ride to just before Chester, probably a fair average of my usual as I didn't really stop, least not for long. Usually take in a brew by the river, but plodded on instead.

nc_oc=AQmlAH8JhiRaAt1vsvmpgGKYoh0FrxJ7EB_uuPIO1RLZ17uYan058GNt522ObgcRPw0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Just over the border, atop the A550 by Deeside industrial estate. Drink of council pop here, was very warm though the breeze helped keep things reasonably cool...

nc_oc=AQlBiM-yHtBkG-kbSt09pSMbPQsx_hTWPgMGwqWz6Wur6dUcw5vywVNDIvB97Qrhx64&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Next stop not that far away (couple of miles, at a guess) with a forlorn glance to the right of the blue bridge and a prayer to the great God of CAP prices that the auction do me proud when I take my car there on Friday...

nc_oc=AQkLFRlUClVDTelot9QOyenjX5cTqJZL69PK9Y7-6eiJa5LM2j3xjl7uLj-DR5iI4Wg&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Next stop where the path starts again (after having come off it for a short while) on Sealand Road. After this there's that ace bit where fat old people can pretend they're on a sprinting circuit as you take the path round the back of the race course...

nc_oc=AQlTiyPXhnyIubhH84Lnpu-sbdZ1Xe8gRdsxI7O1DfMNJkE8_4AO8X3paOc-odfq2RI&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

No stop at the cafe today, thought I'd have a blast at Dee Hills Climb and see what time I could get. Went about it slightly wrong (took the slower approach road, silly thing to do) and was in just too high a gear at the bottom, plus a couple of ladies with prams were right in the middle of the road which slowed me slightly 'til they decided which way they were going. Carried a decent speed to maybe 1/4 or 1/3rd of the way up, but having stayed in that gear (can't remember which, probably 14th) from the off, I should have taken the other road, got more speed up on the approach in that gear and it would have carried me further. No biggy though, I'll beat my previous best this year with more practise, confident of it.

For a sub £100 bike it was very, very good. Big fan of Mr Boardman's stuff (all of which have been pretty low priced/spec) and this was no different.

Attachments

• nc_oc=AQkLFRlUClVDTelot9QOyenjX5cTqJZL69PK9Y7-6eiJa5LM2j3xjl7uLj-DR5iI4Wg&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg
    nc_oc=AQkLFRlUClVDTelot9QOyenjX5cTqJZL69PK9Y7-6eiJa5LM2j3xjl7uLj-DR5iI4Wg&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 12

pjd57

Veteran
It was a real pleasure to go out today with our oldest grandson who is in Glasgow for part of the summer holidays.

He asked if I could drop the saddle on my hybrid so he could try it.
It worked.
strava4920046540524631940.jpg

We went across the city via the Kelvin and the Clyde.
Glasgow green was a bit awkward due to music festival fences.
But we managed
IMG_20190716_141942579.jpg
@Pat "5mph" counter is going well, but today's numbers are down.

The boy managed the miles on my old bike well and now says he is ready to go to the Falkirk wheel.

I realised that I actually had him on a child seat on the back of that bike when I first bought it.

Top Bottom