Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In mine you press the volume down and power buttons at the same time and hold for a couple of seconds.

Think I have it now, but some people (more computer savvy than me) get all the data to show as well, one step at a time

Screenshot_20190718-125315~2.png

Old jon

Guru
Blue sky again, gentle breeze and a few white clouds. No idea of where to ride, so wheel out the geared bike and ride towards Holbeck. The protest / demonstration or what ever on Victoria Bridge has altered local traffic patterns quite a bit. Sweet Street and Water Lane were both busy, by the time I had negotiated both holdups the route I was going to ride had been worked out.

This did not take much working out, just a ride I often do but anti clockwise for a change. And for a reason. I had wondered, an anticlockwise loop means tending to the right all the way around. So in England you are on the outside of each bend or corner, taking the longest path. Mostly. How much difference would that make, is what I wondered. Answer at the end of this post.

Across Crown Point Bridge and the long ride up to the clock at Oakwood, followed by the descent which only makes the climb of Boot Hill longer. A few police vehicles were cluttering footpaths at the start of this bit, never found out why. Pass the Ring Road and for this time carry straight on along the A 58 which always feels to be more downhill in this direction. Sort of busy, until after the junction with Coal Road, very few cars at all to the top of Scarcroft and then that lovely long drop to the bottom of Bardsey and without a single vehicle passing me. Nope, I do not ride that fast. A bit of a rise then again descend all the way to Collingham. Stay on the A 58 to the roundabout at Wetherby. I wanted to turn right here to take the road up to Wattle Syke roundabout, an articulated wagon followed me onto Wetherby roundabout, leaving plenty of room for me to swap lanes as I felt like, then passed as the road started to climb a little, still leaving room. Cheers Mate!!

At the top is West Woods Road, pedal away along there. It is a good road, little traffic, but not inspiring. Is that because there is nothing to cope with? Anyway, at the end turn right for Thorner. Passing all the signs directing performers and crew to where to park, before the festival. That must be a month away yet, better sooner I suppose. Then the junction. The OS map has Wothersome Village as a site of antiquity, I figured if it has been there that long, it will still be there later. So I can look sometime else.

Up out of there, a short drop then a right hand bend to start that hard pedalling road towards Thorner. Again the OS map, spot height 82 at the bend and 102 by where the police station used to be on the edge of the village. Twenty meters does not sound a lot, does it? Certainly feels it. Through the village, my chosen way out was up Sandhills. There is a house, partway along here, called Hillcrest. If you live there, OK that is as far up the hill as you go. But for the rest of us, it is not even halfway up Sandhills. Maybe ‘False Horizon’, but who needs accuracy for a house name? The right turn onto Skeltons Lane, and continue along Red Hall Lane back to the A 58 and a left turn towards Leeds. Down that hill and past the park and clock to some more descending and the way back across the Aire. Cut across Hunslet and up the last rise across the motorway ( bridge ) towards home.

Thirty point one one miles, widdershins, compared to exactly thirty miles clockwise. Yeah, this is only empirical, but it was a fun ride anyway, and gave me a happy grin ‘cos my wondering was right. This time.

And the map, which should be almost identical to one from early June,

18072019.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
Not much today, had pondered walking this but rode instead. Dropped the car off at the auctions and had a really nice ride back...

nc_oc=AQnXHyuLJOARVjUE-pmZj5D-_DbXfjzb8XhOQQe0jG9JjMnxppyRQgWn16W81u10ZKU&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Had a good run from the blue bridge back to Chester. More excuses, but I was 'fresh' and should really have done a couple of miles warm up first, then got head down and tried to beat my previous best from Deeside to Chester, but was a good little blast all the same.

Did have a quick stop at the river today though, sort of feel guilty on the odd chance I don't have a break here...

nc_oc=AQlmcVh3AXuHUjMh-7ZwchA2KQYWA31fr85J2GbhZHz3pLrZYVcG7AgLl5g2Y3tP-zc&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.jpg

Now, don't know if this allowed on here (soz if not!) but I have a right different mix of music on my iPod, and there always seems to be one stand out song per ride. This was on just as I hit the back of the race course coming back into Chester, can't describe how much I love this track...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Ub-fhFI2w

Not much today, had pondered walking this but rode instead. Dropped the car off at the auctions and had a really nice ride back...

View attachment 476031

Had a good run from the blue bridge back to Chester. More excuses, but I was 'fresh' and should really have done a couple of miles warm up first, then got head down and tried to beat my previous best from Deeside to Chester, but was a good little blast all the same.

Did have a quick stop at the river today though, sort of feel guilty on the odd chance I don't have a break here...

View attachment 476032

Now, don't know if this allowed on here (soz if not!) but I have a right different mix of music on my iPod, and there always seems to be one stand out song per ride. This was on just as I hit the back of the race course coming back into Chester, can't describe how much I love this track...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Ub-fhFI2w

Coffee is bl--dy expensive by the river!!

Glad I don't drink the stuff! I think the café at the foot of the hill is a little cheaper than the one under the suspension bridge (which might be closed now, can't remember) or the one nearer The Boat House pub.

I'm a tight ar-e when it comes to the prices people charge for a spoonful of coffee and some hot water. I carry on up Dee Lane out past the Bike Factory to the van in Bill Smith's car park.

steven1988

Veteran
Yesterday, we went to Let's Ride Sheffield 2019. Myself, Mat, my son, his son, and a third friend's son (his Dad couldn't be there) riding on the closed-to-all-other-traffic roads of Sheffield. It was a 6.5 km route from Endcliffe Park to the Winter Gardens and back (there was a shorter route too for those that didn't want to go far).

We had a great time. There were lots and lots of people taking part of all ages and abilities. We saw 2 year olds on balance bikes and 80+ on electric bikes. There were unicycles, trikes and tandems. I saw a mother on a Raleigh Chopper and her son on a Raleigh Tomahawk. Hand cycles, recumbents, wheelchair cycles, dutch frames, banana frames and TT bikes. So much to see ^_^ It was great to see so many cyclists riding on the (usually) car-intensive streets of Sheffield :wahhey:

We had a great time. Sporting our club colours and riding a mix of CX (flat or drop bar) and road bikes, we had a great time (safely) whizzing along the roads and taking in the atmosphere. There were stalls galore in the festival site at Endcliffe Park, but there was no way we were waiting an hour in the queue for food - it cuts into your riding time! A fun time was had riding through the Winter Gardens and catching snatches of the stunt show as we rode by.

The kids in particular did very, very well and left the two of us behind until we had the chance to catch them napping and blasting past with a cheery wave. Then the chase was on and the kids were not giving up. We managed 5 minutes before we let them ride in front (weren't we nice :whistle: ). What was fantastic was how the kids worked together to make sure all had a good time. My son is nowhere near as confident a cyclist as the other two, but they looked after him by setting a manageable pace and ensuring the three stayed together and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Five laps and 20.8 miles later, we returned to the car park with 10 minutes to spare before they re-opened the roads to motorists. Four hours of fun. A great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. :okay:

View attachment 475581

Thank you for helping Mat with mini me, so glad they had a good time he loved it, i think T needs some gratitude for putting up with mini me and F for that long haha

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Waited for the sun to come out before going for a ride, Horrible wet morning, Set of a bit after 1pm, Nice 40 miles a bit of wind but not to bad. Had a couple of close passes, nothing to serious, ended up in the pub for a nice cold beer as it was quite a hard ride, Looking at the weather for the rest of the week, it could be Sunday before i ride again.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2542820207#kudos

Top Bottom