Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thank you for helping Mat with mini me, so glad they had a good time he loved it, i think T needs some gratitude for putting up with mini me and F for that long haha
T loved it and F kept them both in line. All Mat and I had to do was try to keep up!

Old jon

Guru
Not for the first time, the phone was forecasting thunderstorms around here. Not for the first time, I was disappointed. A few light spots of rain on a couple of occasions during this morning’s meander around the flatter local roads and that was it. No dramatic stuff at all . . .

Riding the fixed today, hence the flatter roads already referred to. Not too flat, with 1400 feet of climbing, says my garthing. Not many steep ones riding around anticlockwise, hmm, have to try it the other way sometime. First, the nosey through Holbeck so I could see if Victoria Bridge really was clear. It was, normal service resumed. The breeze was a little brisker this morning, and provided a welcome shove through Hunslet on the way to John o’ Gaunts. The roads were pretty quiet, a non working day for many. Take the left turn for Woodlesford and the drop past the station, this takes the road low enough to go under the bridge that supports the railway line, if you turn left at the end.

Across the canal and River Aire and start the two step climb into Swillington. This road continues to rise all the way until Garforth, with a background of Hook Moor wind turbines, comes into sight. Second exit from the roundabout here, to ride around the northern side of town to that big roundabout across the M 1. Riding most of the way around that to take the A 656, which eventually reaches Castleford and even further south. Not for me this morning though. There is a left turn for Micklefield, take that and once in the village go left again. This eventually reaches the B 1217 about a mile away from where I passed it at the previous roundabout. Turn right, although straight on works almost as well, ride to Lotherton Gates and turn left for Aberford.

I ride this way so often I should know every bump and ripple in the tarmac, I bet both bikes do! Anyway, along here I saw my first cyclists of the day, two pairs either side of the hill crest. To the road end and turn right, up the hump of Main Street and seeing three more riders travelling in the other direction. Turned left onto Cattle Lane and just glimpsed another cyclist at the top of the rise. There is a left hand bend further on where the road starts to rise again and I caught sight of the rider again, going well fast indeed. Not me, heave up the hill, the road undulates for a distance and then drops nicely to cross Cock Beck, a prelude for the climb into and through Barwick.

Scholes looks as if it is preparing for a scarecrow festival. If it is Bonfire Night they have made the dummies for this might just be a bit early. Are there still real scarecrows in fields? Suppose I have seen a few, as well as the kites imitating errr kites. Must be more attentive, instructions to myself. Leaving the village behind, across a bridge that no longer has a railway line under it, the junction with the A 64 is next. Turn left, ride a short way and turn right onto Thorner Lane. Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane reach the A 58, where I turn left to see how fast I can twiddle down the big hill. The spreadsheet reckons 150 rpm, the legs say too fast. But there was enough in the legs to manage the last few miles home, thirty and a bit miles, complete with grin.

The map,

20072019.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Pete M, Margaret PR and me gathered at the Pot. It was busy as The Blues Festival was happening. We decided to take the White Rabbit run to Tewkesbury for a change. On the ramp to Strensham we helped shepherd a flock of sheep up the road. Seems sheep dogs and shepherds' crooks are things of the past. Just a quad bike will do.
We went the Kemerton village way today and were greeted warmly by the cafe owner's mother at the Silk Centre.
Eventually we dragged ourselves away to spot a red kite near Ashton under Hill before rounding the flanks of Bredon Hill to take on a bit of a head wind. On the ramp back up to Strensham Pete and I had Tour de France summit top finish play. Yay for me . Just a bit of crowd management was needed to get through the Festival goers before it was just Pete and me to get back.
Not long after my return I was back out climbing over the Wyche Cutting on my way to visit Mrs 26 who is staying near Ledbury for a night or two. I returned by Donnington using a lane which is only useful if one was visiting the few houses on the main road. I opted to climb to the Gullet quarry where the views over the Severn and Avon valleys were superb in the evening light.
Lovely pair of outings today and unexpectedly long miles for a Saturday. 79 smiles

Not for the first time, the phone was forecasting thunderstorms around here. Not for the first time, I was disappointed. A few light spots of rain on a couple of occasions during this morning’s meander around the flatter local roads and that was it. No dramatic stuff at all . . .

Riding the fixed today,

]

Every time I open one of your videos, I freak out! Why are you on the wrong side of the road? :wahhey:

Old jon

Guru
You too huh?

Well, have some pity, please. I just get used to riding on the wrong side of the road here, then I go back to Brazil and learn to ride on the wrong side of the road there . . .

wanders off, mumbling into beard.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A pootle our to Wallingford this morning to meet the Fragrant MrsP for breakfast, she had left earlier to go for a swim in Berinsfield lake. Tail wind on the way out, a really fast ride for me it felt like I was flying, it’s a great sensation when you get a ride like that.

A smashing breakfast at the Old Post Office, a couple of cups of really nice coffee, then went to see if the Rides On Air bike shop was open. Not only was it not open, it wasn’t even there, the building was being demolished. I was pleased to see after enquiring that it had moved down the road, it wasn’t open though.

Back on the bike for the way home into the head wind but it wasn’t so bad as to be tiresome.

18:26 miles.

E215D43F-9B5C-4554-8063-A56509E7B0C0.jpeg

Well, have some pity, please. I just get used to riding on the wrong side of the road here, then I go back to Brazil and learn to ride on the wrong side of the road there . . .

wanders off, mumbling into beard.

You should see my confusion when I visit the UK, or for that matter Beautiful Wife's family in Japan.

If I take my own bike I'll put a sign on the handlebars next time...

colly

Re member eR
The first day of a week away up Northumberland and the first ride of the week. Just a little taster this morning with a jaunt down to Warkworth and back with a loop around Alnmouth and Lesbury.

Alnmouth from the cycle track running north/south

20190721_100621.jpg

The 'new' bridge over the Aln at Lesbury:

20190721_102442.jpg

The wall in the foreground is part of the old mill that stood there in years past.
20190721_102543.jpg

The old bridge:
20190721_102707.jpg

Probably more pictuesque but not really up to any kind of traffic flow. Even so I quite like the new bridge. I think most of the locals loath it.

Out and back was about 10 miles with 475ft or so of climbing. Geared bike.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37530511

iandg

Legendary Member
I was hoping to stay off-road from Dalswinton to Ae (via Loch Ettrick). The map showed a track but it wasn't clear on the ground (should have headed off across fields near the farm buildings at Pennyland). So I dropped back down to Dalswinton (great track that I would have missed if my original aim had been successful) and followed the tarmac to Loch Ettrick then back onto the rough stuff to Ae (one short stretch where what looked like a 'good' track on the map was a faint line through long grass with a 'small' stream crossing). The signposts pointing back to Dalswinton are out there on the moors so the track does exist - will head in an anti-clockwise direction next time and hopefully more success.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2550124355

Dalswinton Common.jpg
67294722_10157335642927486_7882870442640277504_n.jpg
67662884_10157335642692486_3243847249431625728_n.jpg
67484308_10157335642562486_1879294499784491008_n.jpg
67403347_10157335642382486_2513274003871760384_n.jpg
67404049_10157335642242486_5020867445343125504_n.jpg
67113908_10157335642172486_5750047309022887936_n.jpg
67064351_10157335642082486_1990382188218023936_n.jpg
67090569_10157335642017486_1131121998664040448_n.jpg
67388407_10157335641927486_2342376035393208320_n.jpg

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
More pootling and bimbling and meandering today. Only 21 or so miles. I set out to have a look at the river where I'm considering some bike-fishing (see other thread). Ended up tootling down the route of an old disused railway track for a mile or so. Incredibly pleasant ride. I love it when I'm in the (apparent) middle of nowhere despite being only yards from home. Based on my last few rides, and what's increasingly my preference, I think it might be time to put the original dual purpose tyres back on the Giant. The road tyres I currently have on this bike were slippin' and a sliding' like an old Little Richard song.

Lassington.jpg
Track.jpg
View.jpg

After spending a couple of days gardening I was glad to get out again. It was a nice morning and decided on going on Old Newton, Bacton, Finningham, Wickham Skeith, Mendlesham route. Deciding on a clockwise rotation meaning the wind was behind me (9mph) across the "plains" to Bacton. It is a fairly flat route with 918 feet of climbing. There were plenty of other cyclists out today which was nice to see, one came whizzing past and no way could I touch him for speed. A few motorists seem to think that speed limits don`t apply on sundays. Plenty of finches and sparrows in the hedgerows and one muntjac who crossed just in front of me and stopped and turned to watch me. As I got back to Stowupland (near home) I got a nice wave from a couple of cyclists who were in Nutshells cafe, which I hear is a good stop for cyclists. All in all an enjoyable ride, finishing at 24.5 miles at 18 mph average. A couple of years ago I easily managed 18.5 -19 mph but now 18 seems hard. I have a theory that it is partially to do with age and also I think that since "re-tyring" from work the body slows down. Because I hav`nt got that extra must do today attitude, must do this, must do that, the body adapts. Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me ?

Route today.jpg

Top Bottom