Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
B4D26531-33FB-4995-97A0-F428A66B19F4.jpeg
FA3A73B9-6991-446F-9239-22537EF6A1E5.jpeg
Bowland fells today. Classic route over Cross o Greet and Trough of Bowland with coffee at Dunsop Bridge. First image is looking north to Ingleborough, second is south toward Ribble valley.

Out to Denver Mill and back with the better half this morning for a pleasant 65k with a stop at the Mill cafe for a coffee and cake plus some cat fussing by the better half.

One fussed cat;

IMG_3970.jpg

Two bikes,two coffees and two cakes:smile:

IMG_3969.jpg

Went off solo when we got back to top up a 100k.

As mentioned above a few too many 'Sunday drivers' about;beeped at,shouted at and some close passes:rolleyes:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2550679744

13 rider

Guru
Hi did anyone miss me I've been on my holidays in Cornwall for 2 weeks the bike came along and I managed a 10 mile plus ride every day to keep my run of consecutive days going , past 500 days while I was there .Managed a total of 315 miles and by heading inland kept the elevation down to just 21000 ft . Did 1 ride inland up to Newquay airport up on to the plateau where there's old RAF bases near Padstow then did the coast road back which meant climbing out of Mawgan Porth and Watergate bay 2 tough climbs That ride was just shy of 100ft of upness per mile . Went out early most days and was rewarded with near traffic free lanes . All the climbing help me knock off the Strava climbing challenge by the 16th of the month . Did manage to grad a KOM while I was there :becool: on a obscure segment .

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
More pootling and bimbling and meandering today. Only 21 or so miles. I set out to have a look at the river where I'm considering some bike-fishing (see other thread). Ended up tootling down the route of an old disused railway track for a mile or so. Incredibly pleasant ride. I love it when I'm in the (apparent) middle of nowhere despite being only yards from home. Based on my last few rides, and what's increasingly my preference, I think it might be time to put the original dual purpose tyres back on the Giant. The road tyres I currently have on this bike were slippin' and a sliding' like an old Little Richard song.

View attachment 476433 View attachment 476434 View attachment 476435

A canal is a better bet for bike fishing.You can not only catch bikes but also shopping trolleys plastic bags dumped cars.
such a variety of possibilities.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Needed a cow’s egg so I popped on my hybrid to Tesco and bought one. I ride along the Sustrans route on the way out, but was busy with wobbly kids on bikes, idiot adults on BSOs , a fat rider on a small horse and an electric buggy, so I came back along the roads, it was much less hassle.

Just over 4 miles

10D175BB-0A56-452D-B6CE-9C94647DC62E.jpeg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
First ride in a week (again), so good to get out.

Coal Road to Skeltons Lane and then the long descent into Thorner, along Main Street and onto the reopened Milner Lane for the climb onto the ridge.
Between the hedges passing a surprising amount of cyclists heading in the opposite direction and round to Rigton Green and up onto Bramham Lane for a deserted ride all the way out to Jewitt Lane. There seemed to be a lot of birdsong in the air today, which is always good to hear.
Up onto Jewitt Lane and left at the end onto Holme Farm Lane, which becomes Thorner Lane as it dives in and out of the lesser Wothersome Dip, before becoming Thorner Road for the long run past Bramham Park down to the A1(M) bridge.
Over that and right, and down towards the village turning but then straight on up the other side, stopping just beyond the traffic lights on Paradise Way for a couple of pics:
IMG_20190721_102447101_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20190721_102526880.jpg
IMG_20190721_102546538.jpg

Back on the bike and off towards Bramham Crossroads, noticing a stiff breeze picking up right in my face. No such problems though for a sizeable club run from Holmfirth CC heading in the opposite direction at a fair lick.
Round the roundabout at the crossroads and onto the former A1 for what is usually a quick and mainly downhill run into Aberford, which was checked a bit today by that wind - certainly not what i was expecting from the forecast but what can you do?

Over the bridge in Aberford and onto Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick. All the drivers I'd encountered today had been playing the game, but within a quarter of a mile along here I'd had two close passes, both from Audi drivers :dry:
I took great amusement from the way one of them swerved in sharply (well after passing me) and clipped the verge, very nearly losing it. Their onward progress was a bit more sensible after that...:rolleyes:

There were a lot of insects about today and nowhere more than along here, but this led to a highlight of the ride as around a dozen Swifts (I think...) swooped about acrobatically at head height, taking advantage of the ready supply of food.

The drop down to the bridge over Cock Beck is rewarded with the long drag up into Barwick, and the ascent continues through the village. By the New Inn a group ride from Otley CC was forming back up, with riders still catching up as I left the village, heading up the hill towards Scholes.
Down to the Coronation Tree and another drop down Leeds Road and over the bridge before climbing up Barwick Road and turning for home, with a final loop around the block to round the mileage up.

20.10 miles (32.34 km) in 1h 34m at an average of 12.8 mph with 1,066 ft of climbing and an average temperature of 20.5°C

Enjoyed that - would have been nice to stay out a bit longer but time was against me (again). Lots of cyclists out too, in addition to the club runs.

And to end, the map:
21072019.JPG

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Furthest ever ride today. 49miles.
Bit annoying as when I plotted it out online it was supposed to be 50 miles.
3 hours 30 minutes for an averge of about 14mph. A couple of stops along the way for snacks.
Even going out early, I left home at 05:20, I get through a lot of water 2 x 750ml bottles (one squash one electroylte) and a 500ml water that im glad I packed into my backpack.
Perhaps on the upper limit of what I find enjoyable as I only started cycling properly this spring and the fitness still needs improving. Next ride out will be under 40 miles.

Mike_P

Guru
An afternoon of confusing the Defy by taking a different route than normal at a number of junctions. Up Cornwall Road at last matching my previous best time and then up Otley Road to the top; the full length being a long drag on the UCI circuit. Hope the weather is fine come the end of September as it can get a bit nasty here; indeed a century ago when bus services first started that up Otley Road was “weather dependent”:eek:
Down Whinney, Hill Top and Spring Lanes into Pannal where the traffic lights on the narrow bridge over the railway actually went green at an appropriate moment. Then instead of going up Drury Lane headed straight along Follifoot Road, up a climb that probably looks worse that it is simply because the road is unusually dead straight so the climb is visible for some distance. Of the road signs near the top of the climb I did ponder whether there ought to be a sign for cyclists getting s l o w e r.
Follifoot ridge.jpg

More descending on Haggs Road to Spofforth with an emergency brake application en-route as there was a strange metallic noise but checking the bike I could only assume I had struck something lying on the road. Then along the A661 to Wetherby where the area around the riverside bandstand was packed, but the area beyond the far end of the car park was far quieter.
Wetherby210719.jpg

Refreshed headed out of Wetherby on Walton Road and turned north on the A168 – what a boring stretch, hemmed in by a fence stopping users being scared by the A1(M) adjacent and either a further fence or dense shrubbery/trees. Back on the more frequented section I turned off to Kirk Deighton and headed towards Knaresborough along the B6164. Approaching North Deighton a shower started but stopped almost as quickly. Headed along the A658 and then down to Calcutt – the last time was here I was in a work pool car stuck in a 10 minute traffic jam.
Calcutt.jpg

Turned west and the wind was pretty nasty so rat ran to try to gain some shelter and resorted to the A59 – the outer thirds of the carriageway to the western part that I used have this week been repaired so it is passable without a high probability of getting a puncture. 29.05 miles 1700ft climbed Avg 13.4 mph
210719 route.jpg
210719 ele.jpg

Last edited:

steven1988

Veteran
Took my 10 year old on our Clubs new taster Road Rides 22 mile with 1500ft of climbing, nearly all of it was in the second half, he hated every hill and was completely spent by the end, oh and only one inconsiderate old man in a fiat panda who tried to squeeze by on a single track
Screenshot_20190721-121333_Strava.jpg
FB_IMG_1563725329888.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Used our Sunday club ride, which was really well attended with 11 starters today, as a slingshot for a further twenty odd miles to Frampton on Severn and back. That brought up my Metric Century-a-month Challenge ride for July, grabbing a window of opportunity between having a cricked neck and possibly coming down with a cold. Worked a treat. 5 hours 55 mins (including at least half an hour in the café stop at Birdwood Garden Centre). The club route took in Ashleworth, Upleadon, Newent, Huntley, Bulley and Minsterworth - all to the West of the Severn, and was followed by a solo ( and much slower) trip to the bottom end of Frampton on Severn (on the East bank) and back.
The café stop at Birdwood:
189.JPG

The green at Frampton on Severn:
190.JPG

Sat on a bench for a few minutes gulping down the last of my energy drink and watching the bridge keeper winding Splatt Bridge shut after a narrow boat had passed:
191.JPG

Exactly 100km today (62.14 miles). Beautiful weather and great company.
Cheers, Donger.

Took my 10 year old on our Clubs new taster Road Rides 22 mile with 1500ft of climbing, nearly all of it was in the second half, he hated every hill and was completely spent by the end, oh and only one inconsiderate old man in a fiat panda who tried to squeeze by on a single track View attachment 476516 View attachment 476517

Tell the lad a big well done from me! :notworthy:

I know what the gearing's like on the Rouen, and I'd hate those hills just as much - if not more. :laugh: But that's because we ain't got much in the way of hills around here... :whistle:

32 miles (15.5 average) with Gina and a friend today. Wearing my Old Fart cycling club jersey ha ha! She finished a little faster (.2 MPH) faster than last week and finished stronger. Looks like she is on the come back trail. Soon those 60 milers again.

DSCN0902.JPG

Gina making a break for it!

DSCN0915.JPG

After the ride, I asked to take a pic of her cause she looked hot and tired. OK, but then she covered up her boobs. She knows me too well! :giggle:

DSCN0917.JPG

HDW Club run
Destination was Milford

Followed a fairly similar route to Tuesday ‘s ride

Down through Chobham, Pirbright,Normandy, Tongham, and back from near Seale to our destination.

After refuelling back via Godalming and up the tough Puttenham rooad over the Hog's back. Similar route then though veering off to return via Chertsey Bridge instead of Staines Bridge

Somehow managed to terminate the outward half so these are on 2 different Strave rides unless I manage to merge them
Total was 57 miles @ 16.2 mph with 2008 feet climbed

ON Strav at present as these two https://www.strava.com/activities/2550235986 and https://www.strava.com/activities/2550701240

Top Bottom