Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's outing was a one way ride - train out to Ely and straight back home on the bike. Leaving the station and following the Queen Adelaide Way alongside the River Great Ouse, all you can see is banking on the left and you realise that the road is probable below the water level of the river.

My route took me out initially to Prickwillow and past the comically named "Shippea Hill" rail station given how flat and open the area is (Sedge Fen)
Sedge Fen Flatlands.jpg
From there it was across to Lakenheath where a couple of noisy F15s were being given a few circuits, down to Eriswell and West Stow where normal Suffolk countryside started to appear
West Stow.jpg
Carrying on through Fornham All Saints and Great Barton (to avoid Bury St. Edmunds), Thurston & Tostock, over the A14 and more back roads through Drinkstone and Woolpit where someone has got fed up waiting for a road sign to be replaced
Woolpit sign.jpg
These eventually brought me out on familiar roads at Stowmarket where I took the scenic route to Needham Market and a quick stop for for a breather at the lakes
Needham Lakes.jpg
The run from there to Great Blakenham was made easier by drafting the traffic being slowed by a tractor up ahead and approaching the rail crossing there I was overtaken by a small white car and I could see the driver & passenger looking round as they slowed as the barriers were down - it turned out to be my dad & stepmother who'd been for a meal so we had a chat for a couple of minutes while waiting for the trains to pass.
After that it was a standard last 20 miles round Ipswich through Westerfield, Rushmere & Bucklesham to home - however the last 5 miles were a bit of a struggle as I just ran out of energy. I find it difficult to persuede myself eat & drink enough on the move, especially on a day when the temps were in the mid to high 20s) and a headwind had picked up due to an onshore breeze as I got nearer to hoome.
Longest run for a while - 72 miles and a good day out: https://www.strava.com/activities/2536930751
Screenshot_2019-07-16 Spot the nutter Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-07-16 Spot the nutter Ride Strava(1).png

There are a lot of places out here where the road is below the level of the river @Jenkins :laugh:

Comes with the territory I suppose LOL...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There are a lot of places out here where the road is below the level of the river @Jenkins :laugh:

Comes with the territory I suppose LOL...
Oh yes - I remember a couple of years ago, I was on the train out to Peterborough and the whole area between the New & Old Bedford rivers was under quite a few feet of water - almost like an inland sea!

Oh yes - I remember a couple of years ago, I was on the train out to Peterborough and the whole area between the New & Old Bedford rivers was under quite a few feet of water - almost like an inland sea!

Ah, the Welney washes and up towards Oxlode... The road into Welney can be up to six feet under water at times.

And if you were on a train to Peterborough, you'd have gone right past Casa Reynard. :blush:

Having missed a club run or three, went out today To Tilford, used a route from the club, which had its quirks. ~(Some off road sections)

Outward route via Pirbright, Ash Tongham
Stopped athe the Rural Life Centre, which was not open apart from the cafe

Return via Seale, Ash Vale , Mytchett, West End and Addlestone.

I found while at my stop that although I had been follwoing the route on Garmin, it was not recording apart from first 2.5 miles

So approximate total was 68 miles at very roughly 14.8 mph, and about 2100 feet of climbing.

Part that was recorded is here
https://www.strava.com/activities/2536797935

I will keep a look out for that sign post as it must be in the vicinity of where I was cycling on Monday. Enjoyed the read. I have cycled from Stowmarket to Ipswich via Great Blakenham on my commute ( when Sharpestone Street, Barham was closed) but it was a bit risky coming between Needham and Blakenham. Glad I don`t have to now.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides to mention:

Yesterday I got out in the morning and did a regular route to Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot and Upton Magna. Nice weather with a light wind which made the riding fairly easy and although I started off intending to take this one at a leisurely pace that resolve didn't last too long.

I was surprised to see a reasonable number of other cyclists out and about plus the local school had a large group out doing bikeability.

Dead on 34 miles on the clock at the finish with a 15.2 mph average.

P7160372.JPG

Looking nice and summery at Woodgreen.

Today it was another morning ride and another regular route to Montford Bridge, Shrawardine, Melverley, Crew Green, Wollaston, Westbury, Plox Green and back via Exfords Green and Condover.

This time I really did need to take it easy as I've managed to strain my hip again (but not badly like before). Despite not pressing on I got on reasonably well to Montford Bridge but then started to feel the effects of a headwind that was stronger than I was expecting.

I'd needed to let a few vehicles by on the way to Shrawardine. Hearing a van coming up behind I pulled over and was very glad I had as the driver went past me with his eyes glued to his mobile. I'm not sure if he even saw me.:ohmy:

At Crew Green I took to the climb up to Bulthy Hill which was quite an effort today. Descending the other side there was a bit of a blockage as I came across cattle in the road. I assumed that they were being driven along to another field but soon realised there was nobody with them and that they'd escaped. As I turned back towards the nearest farm to try and find someone to tell about it I encountered a young lady coming running down the road to sort them out so was on my way just a few minutes later.:okay:

I had intended to take to the lanes after Westbury but the wind direction and speed was too good to ignore so I ended up on the long straight to Yockleton and Nox where I got some good cruising speeds up.

The hip felt alright towards the end of the ride so I added a bit of mileage through Condover. I wasn't impressed on the short section of the A49 when a driver overtook me at great speed with only about a foot of clearance and traffic coming the other way:dry: - it soured the mood a little.

A bit of a detour round the village to round the mileage up and I finished on 36.1 miles and 14.6 mph average with a 34.7 mph maximum.^_^

P7170374.JPG

Between Montford Bridge and Montford.

P7170376.JPG

Crossing the Severn into Wales.

P7170380.JPG

A bit of a traffic hold up at Bulthy.

P7170382.JPG

Pausing for a drink at Arscott.

Cavalol

Guru

Con

Über Member
Well we're on holiday in majorca at the moment I honestly didn't realise how big cycling is over here they're mad for them. Now I've got a bit of a confession to make we hired a couple of ebikes you can call it cheating if you want but it's fickin hot over here. Anyway we rode to the cap de formentor lighthouse and it's stunning with a good 10k closed to cars. It's got some really good descents that really showed up the limitations of the ebikes. I'm going to have to come back when it's not as hot
20190717_125700.jpg
20190717_125646.jpg
20190717_110142.jpg
20190717_134006.jpg

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Margaret PR, Jules H, Pete M and me in Upton. Pete didn't have a bottle so after much pfaffing he bought one in the little bike shop. We were running late for the meet with Mrs 26 who was joining us from Ledbury. We were quite late when we got there. Eventually we got under way again. The girls turned back from Much Marcle where we started the climbing. We took an unusual route over the Marcles for a change to eventually drop onto the Wye at Hoarwithy. From here we took lanes that were new for Jules and Pete and were less familiar to me. The lanes are quite up and down so the pace dropped away. It gave me the chance to check the route from time to time as I tended to be in the lead. The old cafe at Three Ashes has gone now so it had to be Goodrich Castle.
Despite our lateness we spent a bit of time at the cafe before heading for Ross on Wye. Jules had a bad patch with back ache but rode it off. So we took a fairly standard and easy run back. Nice to get into less familiar lanes for a change. 83 smiles

20-something miles in the company of Wiggy #2, the Chartres today - to and from Ely station, and then in and around Cambridge via Cambridge North station.

My day didn't quite go to plan, as one of my bike locks decided to give up the ghost. I couldn't unlock it, so had to dive into Wilkos to buy a hacksaw to saw through it. Talk about maximum embarrassment for me and maximum amusement on the part of other cyclists. :laugh:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As mentioned elsewhere, Sunday was extremely quiet at work and, for something to do, I plotted a circular route based out of Lowestoft simply to have a lok at the Reedham chain ferry. Due to the lack of road crossings of the three main rivers in the area (unless you're prepared to take in the main roads from Norwich to Lowestoft & Great Yarmouth, and I wasn't) this took some doing. Then to add a bit more interest I modified it to take in a few more round tower churches to add to my list. Despite the exertions of yesterday, I loaded the Planet X into the car and headed out for Lowestoft this morning.

I started out heading southwest where the fisrt stops were at Rushmere & Mutford, then up towards Beccles past the UK Parachuting centre where I slowed to watch a few nutters/parachutists (delete as applicable) land and the first river crossing of the Waveney at Beccles, then up to Thurlton and Reedham for the ferry crossing over the second river - the Yare, from which Yarmouth gets its name.
Reedham Chain Ferry (1).jpg
Reedham Chain Ferry (2).jpg
Carrying on northwards through Freethorpe & Moulton St Mary
Moulton - St. Mary's.jpg
into Acle, over river number three (the Bure) and into Stokesby where I suffered a cut tyre and had to replace the tube. Thankfully this was by the village green so I was able to take my time in the shade of a tree while sat on a bench. It was then on through Mautby and coastwise to Caister and the long drag southbound into the wind through Great Yarmouth, keeping mostly away from the tourist areas, (this is the research vessel Triton in the docks)
Triton.jpg
with a slight diversion inland keeping to the quieter back roads around Lound & Blundeston (OK, a couple of churces may have been involved) and back to the starting point in Lowestoft.
Another 55 miles, slightly cooler than yesterday and with a bit more cloud cover to make it a bit more comfortable, despite the breeze. https://www.strava.com/activities/2539918689
Screenshot_2019-07-17 Two counties, three rivers Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-07-17 Two counties, three rivers Ride Strava(1).png

C R

Guru
Didn't get to ride over the weekend, just my short commute every day, so was getting a bit restless. Managed to squeeze a short ride this evening.

Out through the lanes around Kempsey to the A38 down Bestmans Ln. As i reached the A38 a large group of scooters were going past, the riders were friendly, but as I followed them down the road I could taste their exhaust in the air even after they were long gone, all the way to the turn for Kerswell Green. The turn for High Green came quick. There were a couple of marshalls for some cycle race at the turn, and as I rode over the motorway into the village a small peloton came the other way. I came across a couple of stragglers on the way to Croome, and another set of marshalls at the turn.

Took a right to follow Rebecca Road past Croome Court, towards Besford Bridge, and then a left for Wadborough. After Wadborough it was the standard route through Littleworth and down past Norton.

14.6 really enjoyable miles at 16.2mph. My fastest ride so far.

IMG_20190717_231127.jpg

Top Bottom