Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
Had a great ride today. I did 43k, Nice And easy And felt good. I have the strava app on my phone but only look at It when I get back home. What a surprise. I did 336.2 km in 2:8:14 at an average of 171.4 kph with a max of 305.6 kph. I did not think I felt that good. Has anyone else come across these problems. My segment Stats seemed to be correct.

C R

Guru
Had a great ride today. I did 43k, Nice And easy And felt good. I have the strava app on my phone but only look at It when I get back home. What a surprise. I did 336.2 km in 2:8:14 at an average of 171.4 kph with a max of 305.6 kph. I did not think I felt that good. Has anyone else come across these problems. My segment Stats seemed to be correct.
My problem tends to be that I'm slower than I thought I was ^_^, I don't use strava, but mapmyride can have similar glitches.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Went for a little pootle on the Kingpin of Dawes , just to the post office...which was closed, bloody place, they want people to support small shops and they randomly shut the feckin shop even though the website states its open.

Anyway a nice little ride, bought a Magnum for the Fragrant MrsP, cycled back and got a puncture a couple of hundred feet from home!

Found the tube massacring culprit, a blumen thorn, had to swap the tube ‘cos the repair glue had gone off. Grrrr.

A smidge over four miles.

CB1FB8FC-E2E3-4A3D-8DCF-BEC0F1688C40.jpeg
ED2E4C8D-97A5-402E-B395-8CF60AEC14EC.jpeg
56AF55B4-D4C9-4D69-91FE-C7B8E57584E5.jpeg
9A4E39E4-3358-4D35-8C94-D5859707F51E.jpeg
A5857306-D8AD-4F12-BEBF-240583E69B48.jpeg
BAA39E2C-D2CF-4F1E-9091-F524642FBD8A.jpeg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Hills today. Lumps along the Leigh Brook then climb away from Mousehole Bridge followed by 2 climbs to Linley Green. Down (with a nasty up) to Whitborne. Long climb to Clifton on Teme then a nasty up to Three Gates. Soon the tough climb at Kyre. Some ups on the way to Bromyard and more in the Frome valley. Tough climb away from the valley before dropping to Bosbury. Just the final climb left up and over the Wyche Cutting. Hilly, hot and thirsty on this one. 54 smiles and 4,700 feet of up (and down).

Mike_P

Guru
What does the map look like - suspect the GPS went awry and put you momentarily miles away, you may be able to edit it on the Strava web site.

nagden

Über Member
What does the map look like - suspect the GPS went awry and put you momentarily miles away, you may be able to edit it on the Strava web site.
From memory the map showed a straight line from somewhere on the French atlantic coast passing over my position And ending around Paris. Thanks for the tip about the edit I Will try that next time.

Reactions: C R

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another two rides for me today, didn’t have much time, so I thought a quick blast out on the road bike for an hour, up the hills to Cholsey, and back via South Moreton, Aston Upthorpe and East Hagbourne, 15.2 miles in under an hour, not bad for me.

Once home breakfast for the Fragrant MrsP and me then out on the Brid of Hy to Blewbury post office which was for no apparent reason closed again. Grrr. Another 3.10 miles.

No photos today didn’t have time, got a couple of maps though.
1E983062-CB89-43D9-8E31-ADD8EB5D6646.jpeg
BF498796-3762-41B2-BC89-3B582D57D14E.jpeg

We live on the edge of the old part of our village, and like a loot of oldish German villages the houses are packed together. Our back balcony is a few metres from another houses back garden and last night Daughter of the House Behind our Apartment (DotHBoA)* was having a party.

From experience a DotHBoA party is loud and lasts for ages, especially as the evening was going to be warm and dry. This is no problem for Beautiful Wife and Kids: they're night owls and Beautiful Daughter could sleep on the roof of a train. I am an introverted morning person.

After a bit of thought about the matter, I realised that there was a simple solution:

2019_07_06_Wild_Camp_01_02.JPG

I've been wanting to get back to wild camping so this was a good start. Only a couple of k's from the village, in case I got cold/bored. Went to sleep at a respectable hour and was woken by a very annoyed bird at about six. I Trundled back through the woods and arrived refreshed and ready for the day...

*Really need to work on better anonymised names.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
From memory the map showed a straight line from somewhere on the French atlantic coast passing over my position And ending around Paris. Thanks for the tip about the edit I Will try that next time.
If it does it again its probably your phones GPS receiver not being that good- I gave up using my Garmin Edge 500 for Strava for similar problem; where you in a wooded area as that was where my Edge went crazy and placed me some distance from where I was and a crazy speed recorded to connect back to my actual position.

colly

Re member eR
A niffty run out this morning, I was intending a longish ride today but not getting up early put paid to that.
Instead a run around local lanes about 9.30ish.
Was very pleasant but nearly got side swiped by a car. Almost but not quite. No ranting and raving because it was my fault.....Well we all make mistakes.

So it was 15 miles with about 700 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36874229

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterdays ride:

I couldn't get out during the day so made the most of an evening ride through Condover and Longnor to Cardington then back via Harnage Grange, Cound Moor, Cound, Berrington and back to Condover.

The northerly wind helped shift the knockabout bike along at quite a respectable pace on the way out so it didn't take too long to reach the lanes that I like. At Longnor I found children playing in the road as it was so quiet. I didn't rush up the climb to Folly Bank but did enjoy rushing down the other side into Cardington.^_^

Having the northerly wind did mean that the flowing section on the way to Hughley wasn't as quick as usual but still quite good. I'd intended to head for Kenley but changed my mind and took the lane towards Harley instead before doubling back towards Harnage Grange.

After Cound I didn't fancy the hilly lane through Eaton Mascott so took the other route to Berrington. There were lots of people milling about at the village hall which was having a pub night - a lovely evening for it.:okay: The social club at Condover was having a busy evening too.

I took to the main road on the way back which was very nice and quiet at this time of the evening, then out of nosiness decided to extend the ride a bit to see what the recent overnight road closures were all about (some nice fresh tarmac at Dobbies Island).

34.1 miles at 13.4 mph average.

P7050358.JPG

View from the old roman road on my way to Folly Bank.

P7050360.JPG

At Cardington.

P7050362.JPG

Looking across to Wenlock Edge as I head for Hughley.

P7050367.JPG

The Wrekin from Wormwood Coppice near Upper Cound.

P7050368.JPG

Looking to the Lawley and Caer Caradoc again on my way back to Condover.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M, John G, Jules H were at the Pot when Rob A and I rolled up. Newent again but it's a very pleasant outing. Rob turned at Pendock so 4 of us on down through the lanes and around the dodge that takes us the quiet way in to Newent for our traditional cafe stop.
Our return was traditional too by Dymock Woods and Ryton. John decided to do something unlike him and take the steep lane to White Leaved Oak. We 3 stayed traditional until Hook Bank where we dodged by Brotheridge Green. Soon came the parting of our ways after a lovely social ride. 53 smiles

Old jon

Guru
Saturday morning, bright with a few clouds and not much breeze at all. Great, let’s go for a ride! The intentions were to go out to Otley, by the main road all the way and to return in a similar way, to keep things simple. Plans often change and this one was no exception.

The whole thing almost never started. The back tyre, on the fixed, was soft. It had lost 1.5 ( one and a half ) bar or so since its last ride. The decision was pretty easy, go for the ride now. Otherwise an hour goes just dealing with the details. Removing the wheel is split chain, undo mudguard then take the wheel out. Not too bad. Replace wheel also adds retension chain, adjust the virtually unused back brake, prat about attempting a better fit for the mudguard plus all those little bits that have been left for a couple of weeks now. Nah, pump it up and ride it. Change the tube by the roadside if it has to be done.

So, through Holbeck to Office Lock, towpath to Viaduct Road, not really looking forward to the climb up Cardigan Road. But!! Cricket is happening, Cardigan Road is full of cars barely moving, but intending to move, to the cricket ground. There is not a lot of room, but I can ride past these less than patient people. Slowed me down a little and peeved quite a few judging by some of the comments I ignored. Turn right at the lights on North Lane and ride past the place we listened to a good band last evening. Left onto the A 660 and pedal up to Lawnswood. The lights at Church Lane were red as I approached, and despite the earlier intention of a simple route, I turned right. Through Adel, cross the dam and eventually turn left onto Arthington Road. Quite a slog up to the end of Kings Road followed by the drop to that end of Bramhope and back on the A 660. Which I stayed on all the way to the lights at the Dyneley Arms, a right turn there and down Pool Bank I rode. Left before the bridge and ride towards Otley.

There should be ruts in the road, made by me, I have ridden this way back from Otley so often. The long slope out cannot really be called a hill but I cannot think of a more appropriate word. On this bike there is no selecting the best gear, so not even that to occupy thoughts. There are good views to the left, an Angus with impressive horns stared at this strange creature on wheels pedalling past the animal’s field. Further up the far side of the valley adds plenty to choose favourite views from. Back to the lights by the former pub, the riding now becomes easy. Downhill past the puritan chapel then the road sort of levels out but still quick. Out of Bramhope towards Golden Acre Park and there is a gentle rise to deal with. One more up and then all the way down to Headingley again, a right turn onto North Lane and down the hill to Kirkstall. Most of the cricket fans seemed to be inside the ground by now, you could guess this with the amount of improvised car parking scattered around the place. Anyway, towpath back to Holbeck and the chug through Hunslet to the final lap home. Sun still shining, and a big smile for twenty nine and a lump miles. Cannot ask for more.

But here is a map of ruts . . .

06072019.jpg

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Good forecast for today, so I planned to be up and out early.
You'll appreciate my surprise then on peeking through the curtains to find it raining...check the forecast again, rain due to stop any minute, so the ride survives.

And by the time I was ready to leave it had stopped, and brightened considerably, so I stuck with the mudguardless Pro Carbon and crossed my fingers.
Quite cool to start with but I soon warmed up, then had a nice rest on Coal Road where the traffic detecting traffic lights aren't detecting traffic, again.
Skeltons Lane and the A58, then onto Whin Moor Lane for the almost rural ride to Shadwell.
Up the hill to Slaid Hill lights and decision time - I'd half fancied a ride to Otley when setting off (much like @Old jon above), but decided I really couldn't be a**ed with the traffic on the A660, so took Wyke Ridge Lane and then Tarn Lane to loop back towards Scarcroft.

Down the hill and through the village, then more downhill to Bardsey, where despite it being weeks since the road was stonechipped - sorry, surface dressed, there are still a lot of loose chippings and it remains to be white lined too.
Onward to Collingham, with not one but two sets of temporary traffic lights to negotiate. left then right in the village and over the bridge into Linton for the usual ups and downs. Heading towards me through the village were lots of people on MTBs - it turns out today was the Evans Ride It! MTB event from Harewood House. I'd cross paths with them again later on.
Into Wetherby and out again heading north, up the hill through Kirk Deighton and North Deighton with the sun out and the mercury rising now.
Onto Ox Close Lane for a surprisingly quiet run through the countryside heading east. Over a near deserted A168, then a much busier A1(M) and through Cowthorpe.
Beyond the village it was right again at the cross roads to turn due south past Tockwith airfield, over the busy B1224 at Bickerton crossroads and the gentle descent all the way to the Walton turning.
Through the village and heading for Thorp Arch, stopping at All Saints Church on the fringes of the village for a quick snack:
IMG_20190706_104923739_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190706_104848219_HDR.jpg

At this point the sun had well and truly gone in, although it was still warm.
Back on the bike, through the village and over the river, the sharp climb into Boston Spa where there was a bit of a traffic jam to get onto Main Street, before heading for Clifford, with the sun now fully back out.
Through there, the descent into Bramham and climb back out, over the A1(M) and the long way round to Thorner via Holme Farm and Milner Lanes - and passing Hetchell Woods lots of MTB-ists were crossing the road from the bridleway up from Wetherby Road to head back out into the greenery.
The drop down into Thorner and back out up Carr Lane, before a scoot along the A58, the climb up Coal Road and then local roads down to home with a short loop round the block to push the mileage on.

36.2 miles
(58.25 km) in 2h 55m at an average of 12.4 mph with 1,669 ft climbed and an average temperature of 18.4°C

Enjoyed that and think I've sorted the annoying noise from the bike out too. Good to get the qualifying ride in nice and early for the Half Century Challenge as I have a couple of busy weekends coming up.
Pretty much ideal cycling weather today too - mainly sunny but not too hot and just a light breeze to keep the edge off.

And to end, the map:
06072019.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom