Your ride today....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gbb, 30 Mar 2008.

1. pjd57

pjd57 Über Member

Screenshot_20190610-223356.png
    a familiar run along the canal to the Falkirk wheel.
    But it was a bit different today. Free wheel North have started doing some longer rides, so today we met at the White House in Maryhill and went to the Wheel.
    I came back on my own though as I didn't want to have a 30 minute lunch stop.
    Best of both worlds. Nice sociable plod out then pushed myself a bit on the way home.
    Thankfully there was next to no wind.
    Anyone familiar with the route knows all about the long straight bit that can be brutal.

2. CarlP

CarlP There’s no need to live in a pit of doom

There’s a Kingpin Facebook page if you’re interested, there’s some enthusiastic KP owners on there.

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  3. PatrickPending

PatrickPending Guru

My ride Sunday - I do try to do a ride each year ut east to Fotheringhay - its a nice ride but quite long, 168Km Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Houghton on the Hill -Ingarsby -Tilton on the Hill - Loddington - Belton - Eyebrooke Reservoir - Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Seaton - Harringworth - Laxton- Blatherwycke - Bulwick - Southwick - Cotterstock - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Yarwell - Nassington - Apethorpe - Kings Cliffe - Blatherwycke - Laxton- Deene - Gretton - Lyddington - Stoke Dry -Great Easton -Medbourne - Nevil Holt - Welham- Great Bowden - Foxton - Gum;ey - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby -Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby...phew - got rained on between Gumley and Fleckney and after fleckney the roads were as dry as the proverbial bone….would have gone on to do 200K otherwise... ahem honest ;) ...still first imperial century of 2019 and only my second since coming back from a broken hip in 2016 so quite happy! The church at Fotheringhay was covered last year due to restoration works - nice to see they turned out well. 62072696_10156135331945766_4072647372008587264_o.jpg

4. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

If I register on Facebook I'll waste more time than I do already on here.:whistle: Sounds tempting though.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2019
    CarlP likes this.
  5. CarlP

There's two or three chaps on there that really know their KP's so its a good resource.

Rickshaw Phil likes this.
  6. Rickshaw Phil

Rickshaw Phil Overconfidentii Vulgaris Moderator

Didn't get for a ride yesterday as it rained the whole day. Today it eased off in the morning and after lunch I took the chance to get some more miles in. The route today was aimed at seeing what flooding issues there were locally so I headed into town and along the riverside before heading out to Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and back over Lyth Hill.

I didn't have to go far to find my first flood as the underpass at Meole Brace was impassable. Luckily I didn't need to use it as I was heading to Porthill and Frankwell. At the Welsh Bridge the river level was high but not yet in danger of causing flooding. It isn't expected to peak until tomorrow afternoon though and there is more rain expected tonight which will change the situation so the flood barriers are being put up.

I carried on through the Quarry and got almost as far as the English Bridge before the water lapped over the path so I carried the bike up the steps, rode past the Abbey and headed for the bridge to Castlefields. As has been mentioned plenty of times before, the old canal path is very rough and muddy so I took a tour round the Sundorne area to avoid the worst bit and rejoined the path by Pimley Manor before heading out towards Upton Magna. There were a couple of floods on the way that needed to be waded through and they wouldn't be the last.

The riding to Atcham then Cross Houses was nice and easy with the wind behind me. I hadn't seen many cyclists up to this point but there were a few small groups along here.

On my way to Condover I thought I'd take a small detour and see what the level was like at Boreton ford. I was quite glad I hadn't made a crossing of this part of my route today as with a level of 1.6 metres (5'3") showing on the gauge both the ford and the footbridge were impassable (the approach to the footbridge on the other side would have been thigh deep by my estimation). I'd just put my camera away when a small lorry approached from the other side. Fortunately he thought better of it and backed away. Others haven't always had as much sense.

23.5 miles today at 12.4 mph average.

P6120217.JPG
    Shan't be using the underpass at Meole Brace today.

P6120222.JPG
    Time to leave the towpath and head up the steps to the English Bridge.

P6120226.JPG
    At Shrewsbury Abbey.

P6120233.JPG
    Roses at Upton Magna.

P6120242.JPG
    Definitely not using the ford at Boreton today!

P6120243.JPG
    Poppies on the approach to Condover.

Pat "5mph", colly, Mr Celine and 15 others like this.
  7. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

After discovering the London Taxi cab that was converted into a seating area and planter, and the sleeping whippet bench that I posted here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-picture-of-the-day-wheres-yours.117414/page-608#post-5646657 and here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/y...mething-different.236003/page-29#post-5646653 were part of the London Festival of Architecture, I managed to find a few more examples.

Some more benches
    xvuLP1B.jpg
    This bench and planter has an outer shell made of mesh, that has been filled in with recycled rubble from the building site next to the bench. Good idea.
    CbvuD4Z.jpg
    Here's an installation called 'lunch break' featureing 40 gold angels relaxing on swings near St Paul's cathedral.
    yEQ421b.jpg
    More info: https://www.architectsdatafile.co.u...festival-of-architecture-reveals-lunch-break/
    This one is called 'love without borders'
    CY4RtIU.jpg
    Then home for lunch and a bike swap, I have to rotate the fleet to ensure no bikes get jealous or feel left out^_^. At the Dulwich Picture Gallery is 'the colour palace' which looks like a landing craft for psychedelic invaders. https://www.dulwichpicturegallery.o...nka-ilori-chosen-for-second-dulwich-pavilion/
    Di64qfe.jpg
    And over on Cornhill outside the Royal Exchange is this bench based on the tube map, I really like this:okay:
    BQV6l3O.jpg
    CHk30R1.jpg

Mrs M, Pat "5mph", colly and 16 others like this.
  8. cyberknight

cyberknight As long as I breathe, I attack.

Getting fed up now , been off the bike 3 days as its been pretty much constant peeing it down and flooding roads on my commute :sad:

Stonechat and C R like this.
  9. CarlP

Bloody awful innit? Its put me off riding this week so far, I hope its sorted by the weekend, having said that the Fragrant Mrs P is doing a 20 mile each way commute today, she just doesn't care. She's well 'ard.

10. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Never mind the bike, I'm wanting a boat... :cry:

11. cyberknight

cyberknight As long as I breathe, I attack.

yeah, lanes were flooded maybe car tyre deep this morning and its been raining most of day , ruddy funny thing is a guy at work is still riding and as hes on a different shift pattern he misses it and when its time for me its binning .

12. C R

C R Über Member

A like, but you know what I mean. I managed my short commute Monday and today. Yesterday was working from home, and the rain kiboshed my lunchtime ride, so I was grumpy all afternoon.

13. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling your pain. :sad:

Reynard and C R like this.
  14. C R

C R Über Member

Quite a few of us seem to be on the same boat. On the other hand, Sunday is looking promising for a metric half century.

Reynard and LeetleGreyCells like this.
  15. LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells Cycliste en formation

Being Father’s Day I think it’s going to be impossible for me to get out :cry:

I may be able to get out of going to the in-laws in the morning allowing me to sneak a quick hour or so on the bike... :whistle:

Donger, C R and Reynard like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice