London to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixer Rob

has anyone done it as part of an organised/supported event ??
I mentioned to a friend last night that I would love to do it next year but the event organisers Id looked at required £1500 of sponsorship,,something I thought too much for me.....he works for our local paper,Promotions Manager, and said he could sort that amount of sponsorship from local companies without too much trouble!! :smile:
so Im after any advice or experiences.....
Ive looked at these organisers for the 17th-21st April 2013

http://www.londonparisbikeride.co.uk/home.aspx

cheers Rob

Powely

I've not done it, yet, but thinking about using this company to do mine through.

http://doitforcharity.co.uk/london-to-paris-cycle-17th-april-2013.aspx?ad=eventsummary1

I imagine they are all pretty similar but the sponsorship level is a little lower through these.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
check out Informal Rides. We've just completed a London to Paris ride. Ferry £23, Chambre d'hote/ETAP en route £30, accommodation in Paris £40 to £100.

OP
OP
Gixer Rob

Gixer Rob

I've not done it, yet, but thinking about using this company to do mine through.

http://doitforcharity.co.uk/london-to-paris-cycle-17th-april-2013.aspx?ad=eventsummary1

I imagine they are all pretty similar but the sponsorship level is a little lower through these.

that seems to be the same company but under a different name,,the dates are the same and the pics in the gallery are excatly the same .....??????? and the sponsorship amount at the bottom of the page is the same????

Powely

that seems to be the same company but under a different name,,the dates are the same and the pics in the gallery are excatly the same .....??????? and the sponsorship amount at the bottom of the page is the same????

Yeah I noticed that when Iooked at MissTillyFlop's link. The sponsorship level on the link I've listed should be £1450 as opposed to the £1500 you mentioned. Not much difference I know but £50 is £50.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Of your £1500 raised, a decent chunk will go to the organisers, not the charity. It's more effective for the charity if you find someone to specifically pay your expenses (or just pay them yourself), then set up the whole thing yourself. If you camp you could easily get away with change from £150. The organisers of the ride will probably take that for themselves in profit, and charge another few hundred for accommodation, ferries and transport.

There's a thread running on CA&D on this very subject. It's got a little diverted into sailing, but there's some decent stuff in it.

OP
OP
Gixer Rob

Gixer Rob

Yeah I noticed that when Iooked at MissTillyFlop's link. The sponsorship level on the link I've listed should be £1450 as opposed to the £1500 you mentioned. Not much difference I know but £50 is £50.

sorry i was rounding figures up...it is actually £1450.......

your correct in what you say srw the organisers take £750 for their/your expenses...which i agree is a lot!!! although my friend did say that I would find getting company sponsors easier if it was done through an organiser rather than doing it myself....its defo something i need to look into further.......il have a look at the thread you mentioned...
thanks for all your input and the more i research the more il learn about the best way to do this.....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
£750! Crikey. That's £250 per day. I hope that's first class train travel, a cabin on a ferry and a four-star single room, plus a slap-up meal in Paris.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I would just organize it with a few freinds, save yourself a fortune then you can give the money you saved to the deserving charity of your choice.
Much better way to go.

Three of us did it orselves.
Train to Waterloo. Ride to Dover about 90 miles. Ferry over. B& B in calais.
Day 2 down to Amiens B&B in town there. 100 miles
Day 3 drop down to paris. Die in traffic and get lost a lot. Jump on Eurostar and home in an hour or so.
Bit of pressue as you need to book the exact train and take bikes along an hour earlier. We missed the bike check in so took off the wheels and chucked the bike in big bin bags and took them on as hand luggage.
Sure it did not cost much and was quite easy just carrying a change of gear and basics for a b&b stop. I just had one pannier.

Only thing I would do different would be the final few miles into paris. it really needs good planning and I would go down to a a-z size map.

OP
OP
Gixer Rob

Gixer Rob

£750! Crikey. That's £250 per day. I hope that's first class train travel, a cabin on a ferry and a four-star single room, plus a slap-up meal in Paris.

it is a huge chunk!!! its over five days and includes ferry out/eurostar return,,,meals,accomodation and support vehicle.....

I know what your saying Derrick and it would be the best way to make sure the charity gets all the sponsor money,,,but,,,im new to cycling and only have two mates who cycle and my organising skills are worse than crap!!! Its just occured to me I could go to my LBS and see if Matt the owner could help me organise it and put me in contact with others that may wish to do it..........Im away on my hols for a week tomorrow but thats something il do soon as i get back

katherine hayes

Me and my friend are doing the london to paris bike ride, just wondering whether anyone knows of any cheap campsites on route??
Thanks.

Top Bottom