FNRttC London to WHITSTABLE - 25 August 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
What shall I say?

Still so touched and thrilled by last night's Friday Night Ride to the Coast and the nice farewell words by @mmmmartin , @Trickedem @frank9755 @User, @ianmac62, @rb58 , @Eddie_C and everyone else. Discovering the FNRttC, and meeting The Great Leader Simon in early 2010 was the best thing bar none that happened to me during my time in Britain.

36017907123_13dc239d34_c.jpg

The first picture shows me in 2010 after marshalling on the Martlet's Brighton FNRttC (spot the medal!) .

The second is me last night, after Martin's way too flattering speech and, again, a medal.
36017909483_a479aed8c0_c.jpg

A lot has happened in between. Countless rides throught the night, beers by the coast. And eventually I even got a proper bike. Southwold, Paris, LonJOG, Normandy, Bordeaux, the Lowlands.

Without the Fridays, I had never ever come close to seriously considering having a shot at PBP or LEL. And the "Friday's Audax Commando" with @Gordon P, @AKA Bob, @Eddie_C , @Michael Adu and @mllond at its core was crucial for this, as was the advice by Frank, Tim, @Andrew Br , @swarm_catcher and Martin.

A number of "Friday's" have become my closest friends, and the club will always remain the cycling club closest to my heart. @stuwill have a special place not only because of the escalator incidents in an afar country but also because the was the first rider I had a longer chat with on my second ride, to Southend. @arallsopp deserves full credit for luring me into this madness.

I learned how to lead group rides, the importance of recces and how to fix punctures quickly. Most importantly, I was taken aback by the generosity and willingness to help that Simon championed. The Fridays is where the strong riders don't show off but bend over backwards to help the weaker. It so much inspired me.

I'm proud I was able to give something back to the club.

It was so great last night to see it going from strength to strength, with 35 first-timers among 80 newbies, a new ride leader and nice tweaks to a well-tested route. (Who new there is a rather old castle and a catheral in Rochester?) The ride was a corker.

36017906993_f437cd18bb_c.jpg

36017906823_78b763fccd_c.jpg

36017905953_f6e0320d3f_c.jpg

(That's Ross leading us into the dawn)

36430618610_f58dd24414_b.jpg

I miss you all already. Terribly. But I will come back. And a date for the first Friday's state visit to Frankfurt, led by Andrew and Helen is already set.

36430617700_0acbf2d1ee_c.jpg

36430616660_d9e9639c27_c.jpg

I'll be in the UK until early October, and thanks to @mllond I will not even be homeless after the removal company will have done its job next Thursday. We'll have another round on me in a pub. And while I'm unlikely to make another FNRttC until then, there will be rides.
36017905533_55eb31b7ed_c.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
U

User10571

This should work....TCX file straight from my Garmin.
Work it does.
Cheers Stu.

rb58

Enigma
Other than a couple of way-finding incidents, I think that was a good ride. We had a magical sunrise, plenty of wildlife - I never ceased to be awed by a barn owl, good company, loads of newbies (whom we need to convert to regulars), a great half way stop and the usual welcome at The Waterfront. Apologies for making an early get-away from breakfast, but I needed to pack for our Geneva to London adventure.

Thanks to all the way markers, TECs and our esteemed All-Upper. I think way-marking is where the lessons for me are. And a huge thanks to @Trickedem and Mrs Tricked (Angela) for the half way refreshments.

For next time, I intend to arrange for the sunrise to come a few minutes earlier as we come by the marshes before Raspberry Hill.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What shall I say?

Still so touched and thrilled by last night's Friday Night Ride to the Coast and the nice farewell words by @mmmmartin , @Trickedem @frank9755 @User, @ianmac62, @rb58 , @Eddie_C and everyone else. Discovering the FNRttC, and meeting The Great Leader Simon in early 2010 was the best thing bar none that happened to me during my time in Britain.
Vielen, vielen dank, mein freund. Germany's (re)gain is the UK's loss. For the Fridays at least, Olafundkatzit is a worse prospect than whatever godawful dog's breakfast the Tories make of something that shouldn't be happening in the first place.
(Still have fond memories of that chat myself. And Kat's marble cake!).

Freitagnachtreisen zum Frühstück 2018? :smile:

Last edited:

StuAff

To those at the Waterfront, wondering where myself and my friend Julie disappeared off to (taking OMG & Stuaff with us)...
We walked out to the end of the spit which is known as The Street, appearing only at low tide, and stretching out into the English Channel for 100ft / 1000 fathoms / a kilometre / 20,000 leagues / 14.5ozs / a long way - delete as appropriate / look it up!
This is what the view back inland was like:
View attachment 370070

Click here 36676661541_62cd991a51_o.jpg for bigness.

ETA - having just 'clicked for bigness' and zoomed in further, I am utterly astonished that a camera phone (iPhone 5SE) can produce an image of this quality. There y'go. I grew up playing with box brownies..... (I suspect many on here won't know what that means....)

ETFA -
I've looked it up.
It is around half a mile or 750m into the English Channel.
Great stuff. That was well worth the walk, glad I joined you three. And even my old Moto G mk1 (a mere 5MP) can produce a great shot. As for the Moto X Play (20MP)…if it had optical zoom I'd never bother with my (decent) Fuji compact at all- and that hardly gets any use anyway.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Who was the first to arrive at the waterfront? Names must be named. The people demand the truth.

U

User10571

In times like this I ask myself "what would Jesus say?". Looking at Matthew 20:16, the answer would be Ross, I think.
Really?
No swashbuckling risk-takers who've no idea of the route but have verve and gusto and brio in abundance?
How I'm disappoint.
It never used to be this way.

StuAff

In times like this I ask myself "what would Jesus say?". Looking at Matthew 20:16, the answer would be Ross, I think.
Nope, definitely not him- he was leading the 'people who don't want to race' & arrived at the Waterfront well after me.

U

User10571

Apropos of nothing in particular....
During breakfast at the Waterfront, I remarked to my companion, Julie, that cycling has led me to be fortunate enough and sufficiently privileged to acquaint myself with people from a broader range of lifestyles / professions than I could've possibly hoped to accomplish elsewhere.
I pointed out to Julie, that sat on the table opposite us were a journalist, a police inspector, a magician, a hospital radio DJ, and four or so riders about whom I knew little.
So then, of course, we played a guessing game...
Julie guessed (at second attempt) that Titus is with the MET.
With the remaining, she failed miserably :smile:
How we laughed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom