FNRttC London to WHITSTABLE - 25 August 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

That last sentence sounds unfinished. We should let the other riders be the judge of that:eek:
It's all about the missing 'd', innit?

Well, I'm at the seaside! Hopefully hordes of hungry cyclists are racing on the final stretch.
15037346498822071693989.jpg

U

User10571

That was a top ride in perfect conditions. Thank you to all those - and I know there were several of you - for reccee'ing and organising and leading.
Some excellent variations to a tried and tested route there.
Whitstable destination without going through Sittingbourne?
Who would've thought that possible?
What's not to like?
A gem of a move.

And thank you everyone else, for your company.
Huge props to the impressive number of first timers - what was it? 50% - someone will shortly be along to correct me.
I'm tired and hurting in a couple of places (that you don't want to think about), but not as broken as I expected to be, if I'm honest.
I enjoyed immensely, the AKA Bob n' User10571 breakaway to chase down the front end of the ride, following some waymarking-gone-pearshaped.
And chase them down we did. By around 10 or 15 minutes :P

To those at the Waterfront, wondering where myself and my friend Julie disappeared off to (taking OMG & Stuaff with us)...
We walked out to the end of the spit which is known as The Street, appearing only at low tide, and stretching out into the English Channel for 100ft / 1000 fathoms / a kilometre / 20,000 leagues / 14.5ozs / a long way - delete as appropriate / look it up!
This is what the view back inland was like:
36676661541_2b83a7f5e1_b.jpg

Click here 36676661541_62cd991a51_o.jpg for bigness.

ETA - having just 'clicked for bigness' and zoomed in further, I am utterly astonished that a camera phone (iPhone 5SE) can produce an image of this quality. There y'go. I grew up playing with box brownies..... (I suspect many on here won't know what that means....)

ETFA -
I've looked it up.
It is around half a mile or 750m into the English Channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User10571

I know little of sea defences but that anti-surge barrier does not look particularly effective
Are you sure, Martin?

U

User10571

I'm interested in the gps track of last night's route.
Has this been posted, and I've missed it?
Or does anyone have one to share?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This should work....TCX file straight from my Garmin.

Attachments

• 2017-08-25-23-01-56.tcx
    661.8 KB · Views: 130
U

User10571

[QUOTE 4932553, member: 21629"]Oh, I thought you use Strava. Sorry.[/QUOTE]
Nope - I don't - You weren't to know...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

I started knackered and finished knackered! 1400hrs I pitched-up in Deal after a splendid ride around the coast for a total of 175k or approx 108 earth miles. G&T, shower and a short kip.

Warm lovely night in most excellent company, loads of lovely new peeps as well as much loved 'old friends'. Very hot day too with fabulous views too good to capture.
For the distance covered I feel mighty tired and my already damaged hand much the worst for punching a white transit van hell bent on running us off the road :-(

Great job Ross, Martin and TECs.

Olav, sorry to see you go and I wish you all the best back in Eurolandia.

More when I have time.

Chapeau dear hearts, chapeau.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
'Twas a great night & morning indeed. More to follow, probably tomorrow (at O2 Islington Academy for a nice quiet -not- night out).
@User21629 Many recumbents and folding bikes- and their riders of course- are very capable indeed over long distances. Many recumbents (and quite a few Bromptons) just completed LEL (1400 or so km, in under five days), and an FNRttC without folders is the exception rather than the rule. Did my first on my old Dahon Jetstream, & its replacement Chutney (Dahon Speed Pro TT) has done three or four centuries. Oh, and its previous owner took it up the Col du Tormalet....

Last edited:
Top Bottom