London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Yep. Time booked off on the Tues. I'm in! Sounds like it'll have just the right narrative / incident / miles ratio.

Andy

Sent whilst left clicking.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok can we all leave off with the signatures now please. My phone adds it, not me!!

redjedi

Über Member
I'll give it a go although I'm a bit worried about going the distance so I'll join/leave as you pass my house in Brentford.
I'll book some time off tomorrow, and probably drop out of the Whitstable ride.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll give it a go although I'm a bit worried about going the distance so I'll join/leave as you pass my house in Brentford.

You'll be fine for the distance. Just imagine it as lumps of 50 miles with food stops in between.

:headshake: Whitstable is on Friday Saturday Luke - bags of recovery time. You could always get a sports massage or something similar. :whistle:

Scent from the woman passing beneath my window...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I give you yet another attempt at a route (here). Davy I've gone through Staines again but took your Thorpe diversion into account. If you could lead this bit though until we're back on track I'd be grateful. Andy I have a feeling your GPS will be invaluable as it takes normal batteries!!! 220 miles from the Cenotaph and return means I should get 250 up if I try.

Mart, is this the final route? If so, I'll step through and make an audax style gps file for my etrex. I'd hate for you to be relying on my gps, whilst my gps relies on its own sense of "hmm,, that's a good route to take. I like the sea"

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Mart, is this the final route? If so, I'll step through and make an audax style gps file for my etrex. I'd hate for you to be relying on my gps, whilst my gps relies on its own sense of "hmm,, that's a good route to take. I like the sea"

Hey it's better than mine which doesn't even know what it likes, it just picks a destination at whim!!! I'm considering this the final route, we can tweak it on the night but as there's not really a lot of deviations in it we can use it as a guide more than anything. For example if we do get lost we just head for the A30 (or A4) depending which way we're going.

Good news is I've been the doc. I've got to go for blood tests and I'm on new tablets for my gout but he's optimistic I should be ok for this. I was starting to worry a bit. I may be hitting the start line without having been on a bike for nearly two weeks though.

After RWB, any particular reason to hit the big ramp out of town, due East, (Liddington Warren - I just looked xx( ) rather than drift diagonally to A4 world, Martin? Don't care, and there's possibly method involved (I'm not strong on method :rolleyes:) I also quite like the look of the road that follows the river - the Netheravon Road. The reality of A something or the other is probably different from the romance that sees the villages tick off toward RWB though.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
'Teef to me once we leave RWB it's just about getting home safely with objectives achieved. I'm going to split the route into 3 separate ones and I'll map yours as an alternative for the way home

Safely. That's the word. I am worried that Davy's thighs will explode like a pair of over-bolied frankfurters if that hill arrives at 142.5 miles (approx). Mine too! I did join RWGPS some time ago, but I have forgotten all my log in details - as usual. Everything will be great as you'll have a fresh supply of crazy tabs from your doctor to keep us all happy. Why. it'll only be a short distance to the Severn Bridge if the weather's nice! :tongue:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
It was Davy that suggested the Liddington Warren as opposed to the A346 which apparently isn't good. As I said, not really fussed how we do it and if we just use the GPS routes as a guide for if we do get lost that's fine with me. I am not however going near the Severn Bridge!! I'm thinking of being home by teatime on the Tuesday!
rolleyes.gif

There is a Shooters Hill about 25 miles north of our route into Reading if anyone fancies it?
whistling.gif
Ok I am really, really joking!!!!

iZaP

Über Member
I so wanna do this...

But I don't really want to loose whole days pay either :/ but meh..it's for charity
laugh.gif

I'll see what my boss says what he gets back from his holidays!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
After RWB, any particular reason to hit the big ramp out of town, due East, (Liddington Warren - I just looked xx( ) rather than drift diagonally to A4 world, Martin? Don't care, and there's possibly method involved (I'm not strong on method :rolleyes:) I also quite like the look of the road that follows the river - the Netheravon Road. The reality of A something or the other is probably different from the romance that sees the villages tick off toward RWB though.

'Teef I've just had a look at RWGPS and the only ways I can see from RWB to the A4 are the A346, the route I've plotted and a tiny road called Broadtown Rd/Summers Lane. I can't see a Netheravon Road, where does it run from and to?

Top Bottom