London to Wootton Bassett and back again

Which date would you be able to make?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Netheravon Rd is 'on the way up' from 'henge if you like. track back from the A303 and it spurs Northwards and mixes with the river. as I said, the romance is sometimes more imaginitive than the reality. At that time of the morning it might be a rotten route!

So, I'm being serious - (let it be recorded.)
RWB - Head South and left into Marlborough Rd. - Broad Town Road - Broad Town - Broad Hinton - Summers Lane - past Rockley - Free's Avenue - arrive in Marlborough and pick up the A4? Is that the way - it is probably the one I would plot in order to get back onto 'Route 1' for the cenotaph - given that the slopes might be bigger etc, which I can't see - yet! :tongue:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Netheravon Rd is 'on the way up' from 'henge if you like. track back from the A303 and it spurs Northwards and mixes with the river. as I said, the romance is sometimes more imaginitive than the reality. At that time of the morning it might be a rotten route!

So, I'm being serious - (let it be recorded.)
RWB - Head South and left into Marlborough Rd. - Broad Town Road - Broad Town - Broad Hinton - Summers Lane - past Rockley - Free's Avenue - arrive in Marlborough and pick up the A4? Is that the way - it is probably the one I would plot in order to get back onto 'Route 1' for the cenotaph - given that the slopes might be bigger etc, which I can't see - yet! :tongue:

The Netheravon Road doesn't look too bad so long as you hang left towards Devizes. If you continue North to Marlborough there is what looks like a b***h of a ridge to climb.

Summers Lane does climb a 200m ridge too looking at the terrain map. The A346 looks relatively flat so we need Davy to tell us what's wrong with that road I think.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok couple of alternative routes here.

This one is from Stonehenge up to RWB (here). This does show a max gradient of 11% though!!

and this one is from RWB down to the A4 (here). Gets worse this one is over 12%!!!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Oh oh, peoples been busy ones sees!

Martin, am with you on the above RWB to A4 route. The view from the climb I was suggesting is something quite special, but, it IS a climb... there on its all down hill.. with great scenery.

Just wondering, as looking over your route, whether we should cross over Putney Bridge through Richmond Park and catch the sun setting at the top of Richmond Hill? Wont make any differance to the miles, all things considered.. of which, ive totted up and I will be at 252miles.. :wacko: Kinda excited but bricking it..

Oh, i was told the A346 is no good... not seen it however..

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Less than 24 hours to go. Meet at the cenotaph at 8.15pm for a prompt 8.30 departure. Be wary of the forecourt of Richmond House. It's a Dept of Health building and the security can be a touch zealous.

The weather should be good. A weak weather front is forecast to move north across our route but hopefully all we'll face is damp roads.

Overnight refuelling is likely to be from garages I'm afraid but I'm sure we'll be ok.

See you all tomorrow.

Sent while out and about

redjedi

Über Member
Haven't cycled all weekend and legs are feeling good.

I hope your forecast is better than the Met Office one, although Met check looks a bit better.

Kind of excited now, but still a little nervous :tongue:

redjedi

Über Member
Overnight refuelling is likely to be from garages I'm afraid but I'm sure we'll be ok.

I'm sure we'll manage with garages. But there's a 24 hour Tesco in Basingstoke and another in Andover not sure if they have cafes but they should have a better selection of snacks, I'll mark them on my GPS.

And a 24 hour ASDA in Andover with a cafe which is closer to the A303 if that is the route we are taking.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm sure we'll manage with garages. But there's a 24 hour Tesco in Basingstoke and another in Andover not sure if they have cafes but they should have a better selection of snacks, I'll mark them on my GPS.

And a 24 hour ASDA in Andover with a cafe which is closer to the A303 if that is the route we are taking.

D'oh!!! I forgot about Tescos and such like, I was only looking for McDonalds and stuff and found very little.

Cheers for that, they should provide welcome refuelling stops and at about half way!!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Haven't cycled all weekend and legs are feeling good.

I hope your forecast is better than the Met Office one, although Met check looks a bit better.

Kind of excited now, but still a little nervous :tongue:

Maybe rest was best for this as the magnificent thighs are creaking a little bit, but I will be.

Am nervous and exctied too, but going to treat each and every mile as they come and just keep turning those pedals.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok final hands up who is coming along so far I have:

Davywalnuts
Redjedi
Arallsop
Aperitif
Me
iZaP are you coming along? And do you want a wristband if you are?

Davy, do you want a wristband?

iZaP

Über Member
Ok final hands up who is coming along so far I have:

Davywalnuts
Redjedi
Arallsop
Aperitif
Me
iZaP are you coming along? And do you want a wristband if you are?

Davy, do you want a wristband?

Is there an approximate time of arrival back to london?

Top Bottom