London visit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

ChrisKH said:
Considered this for my two, but when you look at the route (and cost) there's very little time spent in the water. Better value from a Tfl boat from Waterloo to Tower Hill or Greenwich and/or London Bus trip round the capital.
My two love the science and NH museum.

One of these DUKWs came past me on the south bank last time I was by the London Eye. Good point about the river taxi's being cheaper, but many would pay this just for the experience of having a ride in one.

ChrisKH

Guru
LLB said:
One of these DUKWs came past me on the south bank last time I was by the London Eye. Good point about the river taxi's being cheaper, but many would pay this just for the experience of having a ride in one.

Yes, I agree it would be nice. My son's friend went on one last year (aged 8) and he really didn't like it as the water was so high up on the side of the craft.

The incoming mortars and GPMG rounds were slightly offputting as well. :laugh:xx(

LLB

ChrisKH said:
Yes, I agree it would be nice. My son's friend went on one last year (aged 8) and he really didn't like it as the water was so high up on the side of the craft.

The incoming mortars and GPMG rounds were slightly offputting as well. :laugh:xx(

I must say, given its proximity to Westminster Palace, would rather have a go with one of these amphibious beauty's instead :biggrin:

300px-Pt-76_afv.jpg

Maz

Guru
I found the TfL website pants as well. After speaking to the TfL ticket man, I bought all-day tickets for me and my wife (oddly enough, they work out cheaper if you buy daily than if you bought a 3-day ticket). Buy an off-peak one (travel after 9:15am I think) - it works out cheaper. I think the kids travelled free on the underground, but needed a ticket.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How do kids get through the barriers if they don't have a ticket?

Bleeding nora User. I've given you the word on the street. Just read what I wrote up-thread. There are large signs at tube stations which tell you to ask the nice man at the gate to let your little darlings through.

And the nice man on the call centre would have told you exactly the same thing.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why should I pay to get wrong information from a distant call centre when there are people on here who I can trust to be helpful rather than spouting rubbish or adding nothing to a thread?

Honestly? Because a lot of the information you've had on this thread is bollocks. How do I know? Because I travel through London every day.

...tunnel vision Maz...tunnel vision. Kids today eh? :sad:

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Thats correct asbout asking the gate staff or I often just throw my kids over my shoulder and carry them throuhgh the barrier.

Oh and take thew smallest light weight buggy you can find, travel light.:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
srw said:
Bleeding nora User. I've given you the word on the street. Just read what I wrote up-thread. There are large signs at tube stations which tell you to ask the nice man at the gate to let your little darlings through.

And the nice man on the call centre would have told you exactly the same thing.

Even with tickets you're going to have to use the gate because you have the fold up push chair. Yes they have little squares cut in the gate for suitcase sized carry ons to push through, but no one uses them. Best thing to do is just stand by the gate with your ticket with the youngest one screaming. They'll soon open it. :ohmy:

ChrisKH

Guru
djtheglove said:
Thats correct asbout asking the gate staff or I often just throw my kids over my shoulder and carry them throuhgh the barrier.

Oh and take thew smallest light weight buggy you can find, travel light.:ohmy:

Seek and destroy. Take no prisoners. Don't let Charlie see you're scared. Wait until you see the whites of their eyes.

*Ahem* Got a little carried away there.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Certainly agree that a load of rubbish has been posted here.

1 - No ticket required for accompanied children under 11
Accompanied travel
Children accompanied by an adult can travel free on Tube, DLR and London Overground services without an Oyster photocard provided the adult travelling with them has:

• A valid ticket, or
  • Paid an Oyster pay as you go fare, or
  • A Freedom Pass, or
  • A Veterans Concessionary Travel Oyster photocard
2 - Oyster card is 50p cheaper than buying one day Travelcards

3 - Saturday and Sunday are "off-peak" all day

Top Bottom