Lone riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am the only person I know locally or anywhere else that uses my bike as a do everything vehicle. I like exploring when I am not at work and going out for the day to various places. I don't tear about seeing how quickly I can get there and back. I do get bored with just me though on occasions. Whilst I like my own company it would be nice to share the day sometimes. Does anyone else do this?

Drago

Legendary Member
Same as me.

Lome riding is safer too.

D

Deleted member 1258

Lone rider here as well, I've been a club rider and have done the group ride thing, I enjoyed it to start with but eventually got bored with following a wheel, so for quite a while now I've been a lone rider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
To the OP, post where you are and what sort of distance, speeds you do and you may find someone on here to occasionally ride with.

We have an informal Leicester cycle chat group, very relaxed pace, never leave anyone behind, longish cafe stop. Four of us out today. Definitely a social ride and not head down arse in the air riding at all.

Pottering about looking at things is my kind of ride, too. Went to Lidl today, on the way helped a bloke on an e-bike whose chain had broken by finding a plastic bag for him to put it in, keeping the grease away from the other contents of his saddlebag, and off he went on battery power alone ... on the way back saw a woman walking a Basenji; not seen one of those for donkey's years and had a long chat with her. It was an absolute beauty!
Trees are starting to change colour now , and the leaves to fall.
Very annoyed that almost no-one in Lidl wore a mask; usually I go during the week and it's a very different demographic, with about 75% masking. So it was a very fast in-and-out today; just needed to get a cake to take to my machine knitting meeting tomorrow. I didn't quite manage it while holding my breath, but it wasn't far off!
And no, I won't be going to my machine knitting meeting by bike - have you see the size and weight of knitting machines? LOL!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Yup, me too. a.twiddler, solitary cyclist. No pressure to keep up with anyone else, nobody to hold me back, however unlikely that might seem. It would be nice to come across another recumbentist. Nice to say hello to other riders on the way but really, I like to do my own thing. I am pretty self sufficient in that way. I am fortunate in that I don't "need" people the way so many others have done during the pandemic restrictions and haven's suffered the way so many seem to have done.

A lot of the pleasure is in pondering about things along the way, and maybe writing about them afterwards.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I mainly ride alone too. I ride off-road quite often with my husband and son which I LOVE, but on roads, I'm nearly always alone. I do enjoy it but I would also love a cycling buddy to ride with. One 'like me' in terms of speed and attitude (fun, casual, stopping to greet lambs etc). I have a group of female friends that I run with and I'd love something similar for cycling.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m a loner when it comes to cycling. Have a full on people centred job leading a large team and rides are when I get into my bubble. In fact I was in bubbles well before they became infamous. Love being able to clear my head with the only challenge the next hill. I did a charity ride once which was fun and tried once with a group but found it too stop start. Love landscapes and trees, cafe stops and contemplation.

Top Bottom