Lone riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am the only person I know locally or anywhere else that uses my bike as a do everything vehicle. I like exploring when I am not at work and going out for the day to various places. I don't tear about seeing how quickly I can get there and back. I do get bored with just me though on occasions. Whilst I like my own company it would be nice to share the day sometimes. Does anyone else do this?

I recently rode into work with a colleague: we both remarked that it was a nice change from riding alone, and the miles went past faster.

dodgy

I also prefer solo riding, but it is sometimes nice to happen along someone out on the roads and strike up conversation with them (if you know them or not). But for me, group riding is a massive PITA. First there's the agreement on the route, then someone has to be 'lead' then you have to just bloody well hope they all turn up at the time and place they promised to. How many times have I agreed to be on a group ride, 'meet at pub x' and 1 or 2 turn up on time then you're left waiting for 20 minutes in the cold for the stragglers, time you could have spent actually riding somewhere. Then, inevitably, there's a mechanical with your riding partners, who don't take the same pride as you do with maintaining their bikes. On a group ride, if one rider has a mechanical - you ALL have a mechanical, while you stand around in the cold (again) while they faff around trying to fix it. The chances of a mechanical on a group ride reaches almost 100% ime.

And after all that, you also get treated to the extra attention by drivers who see a group of cyclists as some kind of challenge.

So yeah, there's the rant of the day.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I am the only person I know locally or anywhere else that uses my bike as a do everything vehicle. I like exploring when I am not at work and going out for the day to various places. I don't tear about seeing how quickly I can get there and back. I do get bored with just me though on occasions. Whilst I like my own company it would be nice to share the day sometimes. Does anyone else do this?

I nearly always - 90% of the time go by myself.

Day rides or touring.

I will sometimes go out with friends or people new to the area..

Show them the back roads to the beach for instance.

And I've hooked up randomly with others for a few days at a time on longer tours.

But.mostly it's about the freedom of the open road, going as fast or slow as I like.

Stopping to chat with people, take photos, making last minute diversions, all that stuff.

My daily life involves organising, and interacting with other people quite a lot of the time.

So free time, for me time, when cycling is just the ticket.

If there isn't an social ride group near you, and you'd like there to be, then why not start one.??

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I also prefer solo riding, but it is sometimes nice to happen along someone out on the roads and strike up conversation with them (if you know them or not). But for me, group riding is a massive PITA. First there's the agreement on the route, then someone has to be 'lead' then you have to just bloody well hope they all turn up at the time and place they promised to. How many times have I agreed to be on a group ride, 'meet at pub x' and 1 or 2 turn up on time then you're left waiting for 20 minutes in the cold for the stragglers, time you could have spent actually riding somewhere. Then, inevitably, there's a mechanical with your riding partners, who don't take the same pride as you do with maintaining their bikes. On a group ride, if one rider has a mechanical - you ALL have a mechanical, while you stand around in the cold (again) while they faff around trying to fix it. The chances of a mechanical on a group ride reaches almost 100% ime.

And after all that, you also get treated to the extra attention by drivers who see a group of cyclists as some kind of challenge.

So yeah, there's the rant of the day.

I wasn't ever really 'group rides curious' anyhow.

But you've put me off the notion of even giving it a go, very nicely here :okay:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I like riding alone and am glad to know I'm not the only one!

People around here are generally friendly so I will often have a conversation with a stranger, whether they are cycling, walking or go to the same cafe as me.

Sometimes I have felt more lonely in a group than alone.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

People around here are generally friendly so I will often have a conversation with a stranger, whether they are cycling, walking or go to the same cafe as me.

I think you're in the westcountry too.?

In fact I'm sure of it.

It's not quite the slow pace of life as was a few years back, but still many folks are happy to stop for a chat.

I've always found it to be the case in more remote areas, up north too.

Oh and abroad.

It's probs everywhere.
And a bicycle seems to be a bit of an icebreaker

The fewer the people around, the more the novelty of having someone to chat to.

Plus, If you're reasonably cheery, that comes back at you.

And the opposite tends to be true as well.🤔

Milzy

Guru
Befriend someone in your area. Club rides can be awful when someone is dictating a fast pace, where you go, which cafe stop. Also stopping to pee when you don’t need to. Sometimes you can have a good laugh with others but usually someone will be moaning about something. Lone riding is great.

dodgy

Yes, important to heavily state that people like us aren't anti-social, we like chatting with friends and strangers. But the admin around group riding is a massive PITA.

I’m a loner, not just when cycling…. I don’t feel I need anyone with me and most of my cycling, maybe 95%, I’m on my own and I’m happy with that.
Mrs SnG does cycle, but those times are an ‘extra’ for me.
On 3 other occasions in the last 4 years, I have cycled with colleagues on Cycle-to-Work day, but that only for 5 miles, after cycling 12-16 on my own o get to the meeting point.
I don’t really have friends…. And I’m ok with that! 😊

All uphill

Still rolling along
I think you're in the westcountry too.?

In fact I'm sure of it.

It's not quite the slow pace of life as was a few years back, but still many folks are happy to stop for a chat.

I've always found it to be the case in more remote areas, up north too.

Oh and abroad.

It's probs everywhere.
And a bicycle seems to be a bit of an icebreaker

The fewer the people around, the more the novelty of having someone to chat to.

Plus, If you're reasonably cheery, that comes back at you.

And the opposite tends to be true as well.🤔
That's my experience. I'll talk to anyone; if it gets awkward I can just cycle off!

The only place it didn't work for me was in Surrey a couple of years ago, but that may have been because I was scared, a bit lost and probably transmitting my angst.

Slick

Guru
I love commuting on my own. Quiet peaceful mornings with your mind not thinking about very much and the ride home with your mind finally able to make sense of the events of the day.

Come the weekend though, I do like the company of others, not club riders just mates on a social ride. Rode out with a guy I used to work with and he reckoned it was 2 years since we rode together. Terrible we can't fund time to spend with friends even allowing for lockdown. Great ride with him today, he's like a whippet on the hills but we can still enjoy a day out together.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's my experience. I'll talk to anyone; if it gets awkward I can just cycle off!

The only place it didn't work for me was in Surrey a couple of years ago, but that may have been because I was scared, a bit lost and probably transmitting my angst.

This is the thing.

You can buddy up with someone, chat a while,
even for a day or two, if there's a compatibility

Then wave goodbye and go your separate ways, free to enjoy the open road again .

I do like cycling with one or two other people from time to time, that can be fun .

But as soon as you're in a couple or group, it sort of insulates you from encounters outside that group.

And means you have to make group decisions.

Both are fine, but they're good in different ways.

Top Bottom