Lone riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiggyGun

Glad I’m not the only one that enjoys riding solo, which I do most of the time. Find a nice pace, stop and look at things.

Sometimes the wife and I ride together, which is nice. We’ll just poodle along, stop when we want, have a picnic and make a date out of it. Very relaxing, doing what we want, stopping to check things out at the speed we want.

I never been one for group rides and have been invited to join local riding groups. But it’s not for me: too organised and I like to control my own pace.

Alex321

Veteran
Almost always ride solo. The only regular group ride I do is the annual Cardiff Naked Bike Ride.

I do occasionally ride with family - had a day this summer with my brother-in-law and his family, took them to Llantwit Major beach by bike. Thinking of trying a sportive next summer with one each of my brothers and sisters.

The only local club I have details for is the Ogmore Valley Wheelers, and I'm not at all sure I could cope with the distances they tend to do for their main ride, while the "amblers" would be slower than I like to ride. I've thought about joining them, may try next summer now. There are rumours of a club in Llantwit Major, but I have no details of that.

But I'm generally happy riding by myself - I get to choose the route and the pace, and (apart from commutes) am not tied to a timetable.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Solo mostly, because most of my riding is for work, and the remainder gets squeezed in at odd times of day or night, even the long ones (eg 6 or 7 hours).

I do occasional group rides too. If I only did group rides it would imit my choices and opportunities, but it's good to have company sometimes.

So ultimately, I'm a fan of solo AND group riding, at appropriate times. Variety is the spice of life

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I prefer solo riding, it's when I have time to go out and at my own pace.

It's also the only time I get to myself these days which is space I need.
See, I have the opposite, I work alone, live alone and the odd ride out out, pottering mind, none of your tear arseing about lycra thing, I'm an ooh coffee, pub let's see another castle kind of rider with another human being would be pleasant. If they didn't mind me banging on about history that is.

See, I have the opposite, I work alone, live alone and the odd ride out out, pottering mind, none of your tear arseing about lycra thing, I'm an ooh coffee, pub let's see another castle kind of rider with another human being would be pleasant. If they didn't mind me banging on about history that is.

I'll look you up if ever I'm in Kent- feel free to go on about history ad nauseam, although for some reason I couldn't help thinking of this:

auto-9gag-1200237.jpeg

FrothNinja

Veteran
Usually a lone wolf, but I do enjoy riding with one or two friends, and not adverse to stopping for a blether with folks en route. I find big packs of cyclists/walkers to be quite anti-social and tend to avoid them.
I have done the 50 mile round commute on bike but it was terrifying and I have no desire to repeat it. I do visit friends by bike, the longest round daytrip to spend time with chums recently was 68 miles. Got home late because I forgot how long the ride would take. Excuse for a takeaway though...

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I too ride almost always alone and I use my bike as primary transport (I don't have a car and I don't drive). If I'm doing anything with the good lady, then it has to be public transport or taxis, on account of her limited mobility (and she can't cope with the bumps if I push her much further than half a mile in the wheelchair).

When I got into cycling as a teenager, it was with a (best) friend and we pretty much matched each other in cycling ability and speed and so about half my rides were with him and we cycle-camped together too but now I am a slow roller and just about exclusively a solitary rider. I do sometimes feel a bit lonely, but that doesn't make me want to join a group ride: I only have to remember a particular group ride where everyone else disappeared in front of me going up a hill and didn't wait at the top. I hit 34mph going down the other side but still didn't catch them up until they slowed for me about 4 miles later on. Saying that, there are some short British Cycling rides locally that get a mixed crowd and I have enjoyed them - though I haven't been on one for a long time (pre-covid).

I've got a friend who's recently bought a bike and we've made one pub run and hope to do another soon ^_^. Last year I managed to get a couple of nights cycle-camping with my nephew which was good too.

I always ride alone
I would like to try riding with someone else but I don;t know anyone - especially someone who would be suitable company and is OK riding with an ebike

dunno how I find that person

and anyway - I tend to leave when I feel like it and decide where to go when I reach a turning point - so planning would be an extra that needs to be done

dunno

carpiste

Guru
As a kid I always rode around on a crummy bike I`d built from scraps like all my mates did. We all rode off for days on end and never really got separated as the bikes we had meant you couldn`t get too far ahead if you tried! Oh, those halcyon days!
Nowadays, of course, I have come up in the World and bikes are shop bought and a real joy. But, with that, comes the realisation that I can`t keep up with friends or they can`t keep up with me!
So it`s pretty much all lone cycling for me. Luckily I do enjoy my own company but I admit I do sometimes see something and would dearly love to comment on it! Just looks plain silly if I start talking to myself about a beautiful view, bird, creature, vista!
;)

I tend to leave when I feel like it and decide where to go when I reach a turning point

Sounds like me! Sometimes a neighbour who's seen me leaving sees me coming back, asks me where I've been and quite often I'm really not at all sure - although I can always work out where I've been, once I look at a map and so I can go there again, preferably via a different route.

Punkawallah

Über Member
From ‘thataway’. To ‘thataway’.

Anyway, who mentioned ‘lonely’? My ‘Fortress of Solitude’ is close to amenities, has good communications links, is not overlooked, and within walking distance of the local pub. . .

Sounds like me! Sometimes a neighbour who's seen me leaving sees me coming back, asks me where I've been and quite often I'm really not at all sure - although I can always work out where I've been, once I look at a map and so I can go there again, preferably via a different route.
That is why I use Strava to log my ride

so I know where I went when I get back

recently I have activated the 'beacon' facility so my wife can see where I am. Did it because if I fell off and my phone got broke (or I got broke) at least she could ring the cops and tell them where my phone was last time it registered!!!

It does have the problem that sometimes I get home and she looks at me and says "you got lost again didn;t you"

Top Bottom