Long distance saddle choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Agree with the comments that we can't choose a saddle for you. I use a Brooke's carved cambium which is not leather. Cycled LEJOG this year 1173 miles and no issues. I use the same chamois cream as you. I have found this the best saddle for me and have put it on both of my bikes,My tourer and road bike. When you have found the right one I would stick with it. Good luck.

Ajax Bay

Guru
chamois cream and no underpants
The underwear you use and the position of the saddle are far more important than the actual saddle
I think we've established - no underpants - see the OP's post (quoted).
Perhaps you could say how the position of the saddle (eg height and angle I presume) can be optimised to reduce the adverse effects experienced by the OP.
Sheldon is worth reading.
And so is RideFar saddle position
and Ridefar shorts/saddle
I have precised (and mildly edited) the relevant Sheldon entries:

Saddle position may be adjusted in three different ways
Saddle height
The most basic saddle adjustment is the height. Most bicyclists have their saddles too low which makes it harder to carry much of your weight on your legs, so you will sit with more weight on the saddle. This, in itself, is likely to increase saddle discomfort. Gradually raise your saddle, perhaps half an inch (1 cm) at a time. Each time you raise it, ride the bike. If raising the saddle improved things, raise it again, and ride some more. Keep doing this until the saddle is finally too high, then lower it just a bit (when the saddle is too high, you'll have to rock your hips to pedal)
Saddle angle
The angle of the saddle should be pretty close to horizontal. Some men prefer the front to be slightly higher than the rear; some women prefer the front slightly lower than the rear. If the saddle is nosed up too far, it is likely to increase pressure on the soft tissues, and cause all sorts of problems. If the saddle is tilted down in front this can be the cause of wrist, shoulder and neck problems, due to the rider carrying too much of the their weight on their hands.
Fore-aft saddle position
Saddles are also adjustable back and forwards. The conventional wisdom is that, when the pedal cranks are horizontal, your kneecap should be directly above the pedal spindle (KOPS). But I recommend Steve Hogg's article which discusses fore/aft saddle position and recognises KOPS merely as one possible starting point.
HTH

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
20150829_134541.jpg

Only one kind of seat for comfort....
A Brooks B17 Standard Professional being the next best option.

Reactions: mjr
I think we've established - no underpants - see the OP's post (quoted).
Perhaps you could say how the position of the saddle (eg height and angle I presume) can be optimised to reduce the adverse effects experienced by the OP.
Sheldon is worth reading.
And so is RideFar saddle position
and Ridefar shorts/saddle
I have precised (and mildly edited) the relevant Sheldon entries:

Saddle position may be adjusted in three different ways
Saddle height
The most basic saddle adjustment is the height. Most bicyclists have their saddles too low which makes it harder to carry much of your weight on your legs, so you will sit with more weight on the saddle. This, in itself, is likely to increase saddle discomfort. Gradually raise your saddle, perhaps half an inch (1 cm) at a time. Each time you raise it, ride the bike. If raising the saddle improved things, raise it again, and ride some more. Keep doing this until the saddle is finally too high, then lower it just a bit (when the saddle is too high, you'll have to rock your hips to pedal)
Saddle angle
The angle of the saddle should be pretty close to horizontal. Some men prefer the front to be slightly higher than the rear; some women prefer the front slightly lower than the rear. If the saddle is nosed up too far, it is likely to increase pressure on the soft tissues, and cause all sorts of problems. If the saddle is tilted down in front this can be the cause of wrist, shoulder and neck problems, due to the rider carrying too much of the their weight on their hands.
Fore-aft saddle position
Saddles are also adjustable back and forwards. The conventional wisdom is that, when the pedal cranks are horizontal, your kneecap should be directly above the pedal spindle (KOPS). But I recommend Steve Hogg's article which discusses fore/aft saddle position and recognises KOPS merely as one possible starting point.
HTH
I missed the bit about no knickers, I think for touring they are indispensable, personally .As for saddle adjustment, read up on it and adjust as you go. It usually takes me 50 miles or so to set up a new bike/saddle, whatever.

Top Bottom