Long distance saddle choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yannshukor

Every year I travel home to Nice, on my own, from a European capital with my bike ex. Paris, Salzburg, Naples, etc.
Last year I started off from Madrid, and this year from Berlin; both of these trips took me nine days (~1500 kms).

I ride a Giant Defy Advanced bicycle equipped with disk brakes and Zipp 303 wheels.

My current saddle, ASTUTE Skylite, replaced the original Fizik saddle that came with the bicycle; I was told that most manufacturers equip their bikes with 'lesser' versions of saddles in order to trim the overall cost.

Previously I rode a TREK fitted with a Selle Italia saddle.

My main difficulty during these trips is my back side; which is what led me to your comprehensive article.

The sit-bone area becomes swollen and blistered and understandably quite painful; Compeed and Doliprane/Neurofen are my only recourse

Having adopted a vegan diet I have also chosen to avoid leather based products.

I'm still searching for THE saddle that will allow me to pursue such trips without the suffering.

I'm currently considering a Brooks C15 (or C13 145) saddle

Should I accept that it is the mileage and duration of these trips that is to blame for my plight and will remain thus whatever saddle I may choose ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Averaging about 100 miles a day for 9 days is going to put stress on lots of things and is beyond my experience but I don't think blistering is normal. I can ask some friends who have done 4 100-mile days in a row, if you'd like me to? And there's someone in some of my online groups who I think has done more but he's often rather busy cycling.

My first thought is wondering whether you are reacting to your shorts or something in them, whether padded or not - has it happened with different ones? Are you wearing freshly-washed each day? Has it happened with different detergents? Do you have a wash ASAP after the ride and put fresh clothes on?

The blistering being under the sit-bone makes me suspect that the pressure is on the sit-bones, so the saddle is probably basically the correct shape/width. A hammock-type saddle like the Brooks may be nice anyway and offer slightly more comfort but I suspect it's not going to solve whatever the problem is. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Venod

Eh up
Mark Beaumont has just done circa 240 mile a day on his round the world record breaking ride. he uses a Selle SMP Pro saddle according to his website, maybe worth looking at, but on the other hand it may not suit you at all..

OP
OP
Y

yannshukor

Thanks for your responses
When I wrote blisters, I meant sores. Sorry.
I wear an Assos T.Cento bib designed for long distances (purchased 2015) and apply copious amounts of Assos chamois cream
Each evening I wash my clothes with shampoo in my hotel room
In preparation, during the year, I cycle once a week 60-80k with at least a 500m climb
With regards to high end saddle prices, I prefer to ask around for recommendations before any purchase decision

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @Dogtrousers has said: "the right saddle for a person is so personal"
the favourite saddle by far among long-distance riders is a leather Brooks,
I think the whole point about choosing a Brooks is that they (until these new ones) have always used leather. For my long rides (eg end-to-end 9 x 110 miles), or touring 700km (3 days) or 1000km MP1K/1440km LEL and 2 600s this year I sat on an old Brooks 'Competition' leather saddle - does the business and no issues, and chats away during the ride to let me know it's there. The Brooks is a bit grazed now, though, hopefully not terminal.

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Brooks B17 on my tourer and get issues after a week or two. I have Charge Spoons on all my other bikes and would happily use one for a multi-day long ride....

OP
OP
Y

yannshukor

Thanks all for your contributions

My research has brought me to look at the Well model developped by Selle SMP

The resellers are able to lend you a saddle in order to try it out for a few days, which is exactly what I plan to do

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe getting some new shorts might help too, I expect even on Assos, after 2 years the pad won't be as good as it was new (especially with repeated washing)

Another thing to consider is erm how hairy you are down there and to whether there is some sort of chafing or inflammation of hair follicles etc going on. Some, erm, pruning may help possibly

I've got Specialized BG saddles on all mine and they are all really comfortable and start from £25.00 and are not leather, mines some type of plastic. They do mens and womens, I'd give one a try.
I don't know that saddle but agree with the gist of your post that you don't need to spend a lot to get a saddle that suits. My all time favourite cost £15.

Thanks for your responses
When I wrote blisters, I meant sores. Sorry.
I wear an Assos T.Cento bib designed for long distances (purchased 2015) and apply copious amounts of Assos chamois cream
An outside chance but I know of one assos fan who discovered that the source of his rear end problems was an allergy to assos cream.

Must admit that me and a few others could not help but snigger.

Back to your serious issue - might be worth exploring.

Personally i have never understood why folk need cream - genuine chamois is surely not used anymore.

Doesn't it muck up the the shorts, increase the chances of stuff lurking, make washing, particularly on tour, trickier?

On the saddles, as folk have i think said, only so much you can research. Have to dive in and try some. I'd buy a few in online sales at the cheaper end, try them for a short while, sell on the ones you reject as almost new.

Top Bottom