Long drop brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

I'm on the hunt for some long drop (57mm) brake calipers. Shimano R650 look good, but reasonably pricey at 80 EUR. Any thoughts on alternatives?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm on the hunt for some long drop (57mm) brake calipers. Shimano R650 look good, but reasonably pricey at 80 EUR. Any thoughts on alternatives?

How about these Van Nicolas VNT

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
In case you are using the long drop brakes in the conversion of a vintage bike from 27" wheels to 700c's, you might also want to consider brake mounting issues at the same time, since many vintage bikes weren't designed to take recessed allen nut fittings that come with most modern caliper brakes long drop or otherwise.

SJS are often good for such things.

OP
OP
U

User169

In case you are using the long drop brakes in the conversion of a vintage bike from 27" wheels to 700c's, you might also want to consider brake mounting issues at the same time, since many vintage bikes weren't designed to take recessed allen nut fittings that come with most modern caliper brakes long drop or otherwise.

SJS are often good for such things.

The bike's a 5 year old audax model running 700c's , so I hope this won't be an issue!

tyred

Legendary Member
SJS cycles are (or at least were) selling Dia-Compe dual pivot deep drop brakes off cheap. I forget the exact drop now but I put one the front of one of my bikes and it is very decent piece of kit for the money imo. Even works well with pads which came with it.

Top Bottom