Long sleeved jerseys for hot weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A lightweight, long sleeve white cotton shirt is what I would go for.

Doesn't need to be skin tight at my pace and, er, build.

Some breeze blowing around inside of the shirt is a benefit.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wear a long sleeve baselayer under my short sleeve jerseys
I often do that when temperatures are 20-25 C but on long rides when it gets nearer to 30 I overheat.

I bought mine years ago and it is getting a bit tatty now, but it does a good job so I am reluctant to bin it. (Which reminds me - where did I put it?! Today is the kind of day when it would be handy.) It didn't come with any UV rating but I burn easily and have never had a problem with burned arms when using it for protection, but have when I have left/taken it off.

As mentioned above, a long sleeve Merino top works great for me in temps into the 40's.
The Decathlon ones are fine, I find.
They also work very well in winter. I've used them down to -10 under a jacket in winter.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Sportpursuit have Monton summer Ls ladies jerseys half price at £60, a slim cut which should suit you iirc
This from the description. Have to sign up to browse

Built to breathe, this Lightweight cycling jersey is engineered for riding in hot and humid conditions. Signature premium DeanSilk fabric on front is soft, highly elastic and conforms to your body shape. New for 2020 the technical DeanDot fabric extends across the upper back panel and sleeves, which aids freedom of movement and ventilation. Fan-shaped mesh under the lower back panel promotes airflow allowing for optimum temperature regulation. Italian MARC waistband holds the jersey securely in place.
I ordered one of these. The website says they are Asian sizes so to order one size up. I ordered a medium. Could just about get it on - it looked like spray on body paint! :laugh: I don't think even the large would be big enough. I sent it back. Pity because it was a really pretty colour.
Bought some uv sleeves from an Australian company called Solbari. Guaranteed SPF 50 and endorsed by the Australian government! Will report back when they arrive

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
UV protectors all the way, I discovered them last year, wear them most of the time now. p20 is ok as a sunscreen but never 100%, put it on and soak in for 30 mins before getting dressed is best. I basically have no pigment.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Heliocare Gel spf50 is the one recommended by my dermatologist. Its good because it doesn't give you that shiny white face look and it's suitable for oily skin.
Of course as soon as I order uv sleeves, the sun does a vanishing act! :laugh:

Dwn

After my skin cancer, I need to rethink my outdoor clothing. Does anyone know of any good cycling jerseys with long sleeves but designed for hot weather? All my long sleeved jerseys are thick winter ones.
I've got a pair of lightweight arm warmers from Castelli designed to protect from UV

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can see why the arm sleeves are white, but I don't fancy wearing that colour!

It isn't really an issue at the moment because I am only going out for an hour or so at a time, and am avoiding 11:00-15:00. I have been able to get away with that, especially because my rides are pretty much circular loops so I am only directly exposing areas of skin for about half the time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ooh those are lovely! Bit wary of anything that says “one size fits all“ though as it usually means “one size fits average sized man“
Do you have any of these and can give me the length and biceps width please?

Julia.. I would if I could.. but don't actually own any.
But... Cycology have great customer service, so I would buy, try and return of they don't fit.

Top Bottom