Long UK climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there, just wondering if anyone knows what are the longest climbs in the UK, or well, England. Not after the steepest like Google comes up with, but long and steady I guess. I could go up Cheddar Gorge 10times to try and get the same height as some of the Alps, is there anything longer? thanks

G3CWI

Veteran
Great Dun Fell. 850m ascent.

classic33

Leg End Member
Longest is a local, for me, one Cragg Vale. Wonder if he's broken the twenty minute barrier yet.
downloadfile-1.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Long Hill Whaley Bridge to Buxton is 5 miles. Cat and Fiddle from Macclesfield is 7 miles. Cragg Vale is the longest continuous. Snake Pass from Glossop is circa 5 miles iirc. @nickyboy will know.

Thankfully it's a bit shorter. From the "real" start it's 5.2km. There aren't any longer in the Peak District with a "proper" gradient (Long Hill is just a false flat imv, Cragg Vale is practically flat for a chunk of it).

Great Dun Fell is generally recognised as the only true Alpine test in England

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Shap fell in Cumbria is a particularly long one. Setting off from Kendal it's over nine miles and nearly 400m of ascent, pretty much uphill the entire way.

Here's a ride profile I created ten years ago, when I set off from Kendal and rode over Shap fell (The first big spike on the graph. Then I continued on into the lakes and around Ullswater before climbing Kirkstone pass (The Second big Spike) and looping back round to Kendal via Wilfs cafe.

Picture1.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Porlock Hill at 12% for 2.6km https://cyclinguphill.com/porlock-hill-climb/

Not long, but a couple of 25% hairpins. I like doing this despite not being a natural cyclist and definitely not a climber.

Skanker

If you like cycling hills (up or down), then Columbia is the place to go.
Get your sh*t together before you go though as that place will break even the best of cyclists.
I went there about 15 years ago, amazing rides (on and off the bike, hehe), but I was much healthier and fitter back then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Longest is a local, for me, one Cragg Vale. Wonder if he's broken the twenty minute barrier yet.
View attachment 486383
Ha ha - 'he' hasn't because (a)'he' forgot to time himself recently and (b) 'he' hasn't been trying hard enough (and is probably past it anyway)! :whistle:

I recently asked @Svendo about his best time up the climb and he said it was about 18.5 minutes! :notworthy:

I am soon going to be given a pair of powercranks to fit to one of my bikes and I intend to use them to do some serious training on that climb next year. I'll weigh myself and check my power to come up with a W/kg figure. It won't be a big number but I will concentrate on getting that to a more respectable figure. (I'd need to be doing something like 3.75 W/kg to achieve my target and I can't see me managing that, but it would be interesting to find out how close I can get.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom