Long UK climbs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I also live near to Cragg Vale. It's the longest continuous climb in England and a nice one too, quite scenic finishing on open moorland. I haven't had a proper speed go at it for quite a while but it's a great training hill.
A bit of a look around on cycle.travel suggests that the bridge at Alston to Hartside summit is 8.8 km (5.5 miles) with no downhill segments, and hence a bit longer than Cragg Vale.
You can also just about squeeze 8.8 km out of Great Dun Fell, if you pick the right start point.

GetFatty

Über Member
Yad Moss (9 miles) and Devils Beef Tub (6 miles)
Both on LEL 2013. They weren't too bad for climbing actually and the descent from DBT seemed to go on for ever.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Definitely Bealach na Ba (the "Pass of the Cattle" on the Applecross Peninsula in Scotland). Comparable to any of the alpine climbs I have done, and officially the biggest continuous climb in the UK, rising from sea level to 616m in one go. It does have a short section of about 25% just before the hairpins start near the top, but fantastic sea views and epic mountain scenery. A real sense of achievement to be derived, followed by a great long descent down in to Applecross ... and a choice of a straight retrace or a loop back along the coast road. I have read, though, that it is brutal in bad weather.

we had really great weather :sun: it has to be my most enjoyable climb ^_^

Sunny Portrush

Veteran

I concur - I`ve done the Bealach 3 times and on every time it`s been amazing. Mind you, I`ve had sunny clear days when I`ve done it, a mate did it in horrendous conditions and made the mistake of stopping about 3/4 of the way up. He had to walk for ages until he could find a bit of road "flat" enough to get started.

It is bloody miles from anywhere though!

Slick

Guru
I concur - I`ve done the Bealach 3 times and on every time it`s been amazing. Mind you, I`ve had sunny clear days when I`ve done it, a mate did it in horrendous conditions and made the mistake of stopping about 3/4 of the way up. He had to walk for ages until he could find a bit of road "flat" enough to get started.

It is bloody miles from anywhere though!
It used to be the centre of the universe back in the day for the Kishorn Commandos. ^_^

Great place, even then.

Top Bottom