Longs - padded or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
Need to replace my venerable longs, which have a built in pad.

As far as I can see most longs now come without a pad, on the assumption that you'll wear padded shorts underneath.

Is this the best approach or should I hunt out a make that comes with a pad?

peanut

I've always used tights without. My last pair of noname robaix tights lasted pretty well and just had a double thickness in the key area :smile:
just bought some new DeMarchi bibtights without padding which are the mutts nutts .The idea is to use a padded under short wish can be washed regulary instead of washing the stuffing out of the bibtights.

Only problem is the leg grippers show through the bibtights :blush:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Without.
If it's cold in the morning and then warms up I can then just take the longs off.
I also get a bit more use out of shorts that have got a bit transparent or that have had an embarrassing seam failure.

peanut

andrew_s said:
Without.
If it's cold in the morning and then warms up I can then just take the longs off.
I also get a bit more use out of shorts that have got a bit transparent or that have had an embarrassing seam failure.

are we talking about the same thing ? are longs, tights or trousers ?

I thought we were talking about tights as in the same material as skin tight lycra shorts ? or are we talking about some sort of over trouser which I've seen advertised recently

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm asking about tights (or bib tights).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
peanut said:
are we talking about the same thing ? are longs, tights or trousers ?

I thought we were talking about tights as in the same material as skin tight lycra shorts ? or are we talking about some sort of over trouser which I've seen advertised recently

Longs are lycra tights. They can be the same stuff as shorts, but are more usually of something a bit thicker and warmer.
They come either with or without a pad like those in lycra shorts. If they have a pad, you wear nothing under them. If they don't you wear them over shorts.

There's also with and without braces/shoulder straps (called "bib longs" with).

peanut

Dannyg said:
I'm asking about tights (or bib tights).

thats what I assumed ,so why are some talking about removing one's tights part of a way around a ride ?:tongue::wacko: presumably they are referring to leg warmers

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I think the idea is that if you have shorts on under your tights you can take the tights off if it warms up during the ride. If you don't have any shorts on under your tights it could prove embarrassing if you whip them off during the ride.

Joe

Über Member
Shorts and leg warmers all year for me.
If I did get longs I'd probably go for padless to save washing.

Top Bottom