Look Keo carbon blade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Keo Carbon Blade is servicable? Or economically serviceable if they have to be sent somewhere? Mine have no obvious area where the axle is removable, unlike some versions where it is obvious, eg my basic Keo has a 19mm 'nut on the axle end. I think the Carbon job might be factory sealed.

Mine have a bit of movement in them at 9k km so they're obviously worn. If not I'll go for a set of SPDs R8000s.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Look Keos are rubbish. Throw them in the bin and treat yourself to some Shimano SPD-SLs, they are built to last and they don't wear out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The outboard end is a plain bush on an axle so they do wear. Some Keos can be dismantled but I've never heard of anybody replacing the inboard bearings. I had three pairs, which unscrewed from their axle units and fell off. When I sent the first set back to the importer they replied that they all used Keos and didn't have any problems.... yeah because they all got new ones every six months.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Really - bin them. Shimano SPD-SL are excellent pedals, whether 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace. And you can even buy them with a 4mm extra long axle in case you get heel strike on your chainstays. Mine have been on my bikes now for over five years with no surface wear or slop in the bearings. I was getting problems with the Keos after only a few months.

OP
OP
BianchiVirgin

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
They come with yellow cleats but I've ordered a spare yellow set as well.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Did try to fit new bearing to a pair a few years ago, got them apart, but could not find any bearings the same size, they are an odd ball size, i still have them on the shelf, might have another go at tying to find some. I would still put Look in front of Shimano though.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just to be a lone dissenting voice in a sea of Look negativity, (because I'm just like that) I'm a fan of them. I've had Keo 2 on 2 different road bikes for 4 years now and no issues.
(Sorry OP, I don't know how to service them... at about 35 quid for the classic or 2 models, I always planned for them to be semi disposable after a point, they long since passed that point - I'd buy them again once they go).

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just to be a lone dissenting voice in a sea of Look negativity, (because I'm just like that) I'm a fan of them. I've had Keo 2 on 2 different road bikes for 4 years now and no issues.
I switched to Look from Shimano after having 2 pairs of spd-sl bearings fail in about 18 months :sad: 1st pair replaced under warranty, binned 2nd pair. I've had look keo 2 on my van nic for 12k miles & my enigma almost 7k miles, neither have had any issues or servicing. I also find look cleats last longer for me too :okay: It's like any product really some folk get good ones & love em, others get one or two bad ones & puts them off.
I've just changed blades on one pair that I had, got them cheap for the turbo & think they were 20nm, swapped them onto a new bike last year & the spring was a bit strong for me out on the road :blush: Switching the blade was easy enough, but not as cheap or easy as adjusting tension on shimano spd-sl :laugh:

Top Bottom