LOOK pedals, what kind of cleat is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

I bought a bike secondhand and it came with LOOK pedals fitted but I can't get the fkrs off as the flats where the spanner goes is rounded off. so here's a couple of photos ...

I'm almost resigned to buying compatible shoes but I've never used LOOK shoes....what type of cleats/shoes do I need for this kind of pedal. When I collected it, rode it using Adidas samba trainers.
Sorry, never rode using LOOK pedals, only used SPD...is it the same way to unclip like with SPDs, where you move your heels outwards?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715_174303_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715_174303_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230715_170150.jpg
    IMG_20230715_170150.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Is it shoes like this?
Daft question, Can you walk in them?
Screenshot_20230715_180433_com.android.chrome.jpg

iluvmybike

Über Member
I think those pedals come off using alarge allen key on the inside of the crank arm - they dont have 'flats'. You will need Look cleats - but be aware that there are different ones in the Look range so check compatibility with yuor pedals

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Shoes with three-bolt fittings, yes like the pic, cleats like these: https://www.lookcycle.com/uk-en/products/pedals/road/cleats. I'm not sure if Look have ever changed the pedal/cleat interface (like yourself, SPDs here), if in doubt go to an LBS and check/buy there. Cleat covers are available for walking (the cleats are exposed so you don't want to walk around in them), but it'll be for short distances- cafe stops etc- only.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I think those pedals come off using alarge allen key on the inside of the crank arm - they dont have 'flats'. You will need Look cleats - but be aware that there are different ones in the Look range so check compatibility with yuor pedals

Mate, here's some tantalisingly poor pictures of the back of the pedals... can't tell if there's a hex fitting there because the light is so rubbish. I'll take some more later, cheers.
IMG_20230715_170142.jpg

IMG_20230715_170158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_170230.jpg
    IMG_20230715_170230.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230715_170204.jpg
    IMG_20230715_170204.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

It'll be a hex of some size.

Yes mate, i offered up the largest hex key on my multitool and it deffo fits. Now the problem is not enough strength /leverage to turn the hex bolt.... Yes I'm turning it in the correct direction.
IMG_20230715_184006.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
Yes mate, i offered up the largest hex key on my multitool and it deffo fits. Now the problem is not enough strength /leverage to turn the hex bolt.... Yes I'm turning it in the correct direction.
View attachment 698883

Have come across pedals like this and yes defo an Allen key as others have suggested.

I think you will just need to persevere.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Have come across pedals like this and yes defo an Allen key as others have suggested.

I think you will just need to persevere.

I think I'll need to get the biggest fukoff 8mm Allen key I can find to get more leverage. I reckon previous owner spun these on without any grease FFS.

Sharky

Guru
Can you take a photo of the pedal from the side, top and bottom.
There are just two types of cleats - Delta (old type) and Keo.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Can you take a photo of the pedal from the side, top and bottom.
There are just two types of cleats - Delta (old type) and Keo.
Yes mate, here...
For info, at rest, the pedal is biased so that the point end is uppermost.
IMG_20230715_190709.jpg

IMG_20230715_190646.jpg

IMG_20230715_190639.jpg

IMG_20230715_190653.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If the ability to walk in cycling shoes is at all important to you, I'd honestly go SPD. Look were the first modern-day clipless system (IIRC) but they're awful to walk in. SPDs just work.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

If the ability to walk in cycling shoes is at all important to you, I'd honestly go SPD. Look were the first modern-day clipless system (IIRC) but they're awful to walk in. SPDs just work.

This bike's not kept at my house and I don't take my SPD shoes with me when I visit, hence flat pedals are preferable so I can ride it comfortably in normal shoes.

Top Bottom