LOOK pedals, what kind of cleat is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No matter, as @Mike_P said it's all a matter of leverage. If you can't manage that hit it with a heavy hammer but if you do that make sure you can support the crank on solid ground by removing the wheels or deflating the tyres otherwise your efforts will be dissipated.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

No matter, as @Mike_P said it's all a matter of leverage. If you can't manage that hit it with a heavy hammer but if you do that make sure you can support the crank on solid ground by removing the wheels or deflating the tyres otherwise your efforts will be dissipated.

Yeh tell me about it. I was close to tears trying to get pedals off an old MTB recently.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/removing-pedals-from-old-mtb.292228/

The thought of doing this all again is just soul-destroying.

Sharky

Guru
Anyone worked out if these are Delta or Keo pedals?

Very hard to say.
Delta pedals are more pointed at the toe end.
Keo pedals are more rounded at the toe end.

If had to choose, I would say they are Delta, but wouldn't want you to buy delta cleats on my guess.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes mate, i offered up the largest hex key on my multitool and it deffo fits. Now the problem is not enough strength /leverage to turn the hex bolt.... Yes I'm turning it in the correct direction.
You say that but ...

It would be possible for an idiot to get confused by looking at the crank from the other side to normal. In fact, if said idiot was using cheap tools and a big lever they might even turn a hex key into a barber's pole by forcing it the wrong way. DAMHIKT :whistle:

I'm sure you're not an idiot, but theoretically, if you were ... ;)

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

You say that but ...

It would be possible for an idiot to get confused by looking at the crank from the other side to normal. In fact, if said idiot was using cheap tools and a big lever they might even turn a hex key into a barber's pole by forcing it the wrong way. DAMHIKT :whistle:

I'm sure you're not an idiot, but theoretically, if you were ... ;)

Easy to get confused about which way to turn to remove. Whatever works for you - I think the simplest is the " right hand rule" for the right side of the bike , and the "left hand rule" for the left side of the bike. As explained a couple of minutes into this video:

View: https://youtu.be/0NvOAU8t-g0

It was like a bloody epiphany when I first saw this video. No more confusion, ever. 👍

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Get your LBS to do it for a few quid

I had a look online to see if I could find any published prices for pedal removal but couldn't find anything.
At a guess, I reckon a LBS would charge upwards of £15 for removing pedals. Be interesting to see what others think.

If you can't get the pedals off and want to keep and ride them, the cleats you need for these are definitely the Delta ones.

Cheap and plentiful on eBay, but there loads of cheap knock offs that are too soft and/or brittle and wear/fall apart very quickly so try and find the genuine Look ones, they will cost a bit more but last longer.

Chislenko

Veteran
I had a look online to see if I could find any published prices for pedal removal but couldn't find anything.
At a guess, I reckon a LBS would charge upwards of £15 for removing pedals. Be interesting to see what others think.

At the end of the day if you can't get them off then pay the LBS to do it.

Must admit I do all my own bike maintenance but if needs must then pay for it to be done. Better to have a useable bike than a frustrated rider.

Believe me in a few weeks time you will have forgotten about the £20 or so you have spent which wouldn't even get you a couple of portions of fish and chips nowadays!

I fully expect a few replies from people saying "fish and chips is only £6.95 at our local chippy"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

At the end of the day if you can't get them off then pay the LBS to do it.

Must admit I do all my own bike maintenance but if needs must then pay for it to be done. Better to have a useable bike than a frustrated rider.

Believe me in a few weeks time you will have forgotten about the £20 or so you have spent which wouldn't even get you a couple of portions of fish and chips nowadays!

I fully expect a few replies from people saying "fish and chips is only £6.95 at our local chippy"

Yep, Last Chance Saloon today... mate's got a decent hex key, hopefully that'll do it. If not, then it's down to the LBS.👍

davidphilips

Veteran
Delta pedals, Keo are smaller, as for DIY removing them the best way i have found for removing really tight pedals when the are fitted to alloy crank arms like yours (not to be used with carbon or bonded cranks) is just heat the crank arm at the pedal spindle with a blow lamp and even the most stubborn stuck on pedals just screw off with ease.

Top Bottom