Looking for a new author

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I have read all of these authors books although not in an particular order:
Elmore Leonard
Italo Calvino
Cormac McCarthy
After a while Elmore Leonard does seem a tad formulaic but oddly I find comfort in that and he is the one I would recommend as McCarthy can be very dark not to say bleak and Calvino very confusing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Try Andrea Camilleri, (author of the books behind the Ispettore Montalbano tv series on BBC4) you can get them in Fopp at the rate of 3 for £5. Excellent stories and characters.

GC

Globalti

Legendary Member
captain w e johns did rather a good series of flying related adventure stories if i remember rightly. not aure which the first one was. series runs through from the Great War to various spy stuff in the Cold War

That's Biggles! More "Boys' Own" than adult really. Biggles in the Jungle was the first proper book I read, probably at the age of about 7.

In a similar vein, an excellent series of children's adventure stories is the Swallows and Amazons books by Arthur Ransome. Fantastic stories.

U

User169

Simon Raven. The "Alms for Oblivion" series (10 novels) and subsequent "The First Born of Egypt" series (7 novels) are all related and should keep you going for a while. Not as well known as Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, but they are extremely well-written, hugely entertaining and completely outrageous.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
Try John Buchan's Richard Hannay series?
On a nautical theme Alexander Kent's "Bolitho" series.
Bernard Knight's "Crowner John" mystery series.

Top Bottom