Looking For A New Leatherman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mk6golf

To be clear Leatherman is a pen knife NOT some kink or fetish on this occasion :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Need a new pen knife. Work supply a rather shite one. Been told Leatherman are the rolls Royce of pen knifes.

Would like some way of mounting it into klick fast holder if possible to go on my jacket.

Anyone got one or something similar?

TIA

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I use a LM Wave. Nearly 20 yeas old. It goes in my touring tool kit and with me to work every day. I have an old leather sheath with a snap button. I'm not up to speed on their latest sheaths. I've heard they are no longer leather. HTH.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I assume you want one of these:
knife-leatherman-wave.jpg

Not one of these:
smf-36239_village_people_pop_group_biker_men-s_70-s_fancy_dress_costume_front.jpg

You should be fairly safe around Ipswich but you never know so you need to be clear.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Do you need all the tools & gubbins on one?

I have a couple of Victorinox SAKs (Hiker, Spartan and Pioneer X), and they're fine (sharp blades, and tools I use). Unless you need pliers particularly, the leatherman could be overkill.

I bought the Spartan because I wanted something pocketable, with a decent blade, screwdrivers I could use in a pinch and a bottle opener. Then the Pioneer X because I liked the Alox scales and having scissors (which are surprisingly good) and the Hiker because it was briefly on a pretty amazing sale price.

One other consideration with Leatherman tools is the locking blade (not a feature of all, but it is of some) illegal to carry "without good reason", iirc if you're in the UK.

If you need something beefier than a Swiss Army knife, Heinnie Haynes do a decent job of indicating which of their stock is "UK legal". The heavier duty stuff will be blade only though, in general.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Remember, if it has a locking knife blade it's a designated offensive weapon, no lawful defence for having one in public. Even some police forces won't let their officers carry them for that reason.

That said, if you don't wave it about and keep it out of sight you're unlikely to ever have problems. In have a rescue knife with a locking blade wrapped up in my SAR kit in the car.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
To be clear Leatherman is a pen knife NOT some kink or fetish on this occasion :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shame.... Oh and I hate the term 'pen knife' for some reason, it just sounds too trivial somehow.

Been told Leatherman are the rolls Royce of pen knifes.

ROLLS ROYCE?? They are as ugly as SIN, heck, even the Predator recoils at the sight of them!!

Anyone got one or something similar?

Yes, something that actually looks remotely sensible, a Swiss Army Knife!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Remember, if it has a locking knife blade it's a designated offensive weapon, no lawful defence for having one in public. Even some police forces won't let their officers carry them for that reason.
Strictly speaking, the law says it's illegal to have one in a public place "without good reason";

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:
  • have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
(https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives)
...and another good reference at https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q337.htm which adds;
...it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).

But whether you want to be having that discussion with someone whose force may not understand this is another matter, of course.

EDIT: AND see Drago's clarification below.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
S139 CJA makes exemption for folding Knives under 7.62mm under the 'common sense' rule on the basis that they may be carried for their general utility, and thus you would have a pretty much automatic reasonable excuse for having one in a public place. Case law usurps this point for locking blades, Harris v DPP, the Court ruled that 'a folding knife must be readily foldable at all times'. A lock knife is not readily foldable at all times, and therefore calls foul irrespective of blade length.

This has been, unsuccessfully, challenged at the Court of appeal, R v Deegan, so the case law stands to this day. This is why even some police forces, including the second one I served in and recently retired from, do not permit officers to carry Gerber or Leather man type tools.

I've sent enough people to prison for it, so I got the case law memorised for when some smart arris defence counsel tries to be clever.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
S139 CJA makes exemption for folding Knives under 7.62mm under the 'common sense' rule that they may be carried for their general utility, and thus you would have a pretty much automatic reasonable excuse for having one in a public place. Case law usurps this point for locking blades, Harris v DPP,mthe Court ruled that 'a folding knife must be readily foldable at all times'. A lock knife is not readily foldable at all times, and therefore calls foul irrespective of blade length.

This has been, unsuccessfully, challenged at the Court of appeal, R v Diegan, so the case law stands to this day.

I've sent enough people to prison for it.
Cripes! Well, thanks for the clarification.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I have one of these -

leatherman.jpg

Small enough to go on my keyring and genuinely useful tools - apart from the tweezers which I've yet to find a use for. Solidly made, light enough to not make a hole in your pocket and the knife keeps a good edge. Scissors have been more useful than pliers.

Top Bottom