Looking for a super bright rear lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I use a Nightrider Sabre 80 https://www.niterider.com/product/sabre-80/
I think some people complain about the run time in the brightest mode but I use it in the Day light Flash mode which is claimed 10.5hours and because of the recharge light I've not an issue; other lights I've had in the past would just cut out no warning this gives me a warning light so I've never had it cut out.

Day Light Flash Mode (and other flashing modes)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhDlQlZBPuM

The Four4th Scorpian is supposed to be the best day light running light on the market but its 5x the price and I don't know if it could be clipped onto a saddle bag like the Sabre 80.

https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

I use the scorpion for TT's after marshaling one and noticing that it was the only light visible when the riders had disappeared . Thats the kind of light i wanted when riding on duel carriageways . It comes with its own mount and not able to clip onto a saddle bag .

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This police patrol car was stationary on an unlit road, with its flashing blue/red lights in operation at a vehicle breakdown. A dick driving a coach didn't see it and ploughed into it, pushing it over 260 feet along the road with the police dog still inside.

dorset police rammed.jpg

If the driver isn't looking it won't matter how bright your back light is.

Whichever one you go for, please make sure it doesn't dazzle others when fitted.

spen666

Legendary Member
1 candle power = 12.57 lumens according to my google search and I have an old Smart 0.5W rear light, the current version is rated at 110 lumen which equates to 110x12.57 = 1380 lumen!

Have you made a typo here?

Why are you multiplying the lumen rating by 12.57 and claiming the answer means a 110 lumen light has 1380 lumens?

I am confused

Drago

Legendary Member
And, lest we forget, over bright lights break up your outline, deprive the observers brain of the datum required to calculate your speed, and thus actually endanger you. This has been properly, scientifically established. (C) Suzuki R&D, 1989.

Never do something in the name of safety because 'common sense' tells you it's a good idea. Unless it has been proven, properly demonstrated to work, there's a decent chance it could actually make you less safe.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This police patrol car was stationary on an unlit road, with its flashing blue/red lights in operation at a vehicle breakdown. A dick driving a coach didn't see it and ploughed into it, pushing it over 260 feet along the road with the police dog still inside.

View attachment 434543

If the driver isn't looking it won't matter how bright your back light is.

Whichever one you go for, please make sure it doesn't dazzle others when fitted.

I can vouch for that - almost 3 years ago I was nearly put in a wheelchair permanently. Chuffing close call it was. Stung a bit !

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And, lest we forget, over bright lights break up your outline, deprive the observers brain of the datum required to calculate your speed, and thus actually endanger you. This has been properly, scientifically established. (C) Suzuki R&D, 1989.

Never do something in the name of safety because 'common sense' tells you it's a good idea. Unless it has been proven, properly demonstrated to work, there's a decent chance it could actually make you less safe.
I wish someone would tell the car manufacturers who are in an arms race to fit ever brighter headlights and retina burning DRLs to anything that moves, and the idiot boy racers that try to copy them by fitting poor quality, badly adjusted non-approved lights to their cars. I am sick of being blinded by these lights (both on almost new vehicles that must be faulty and by the badly fitted retro brigade) and as well as blinding me it also makes it almost impossible for other road users to see me on my bike as I cross the beam :cursing:

Jody

Stubborn git
I wish someone would tell the car manufacturers who are in an arms race to fit ever brighter headlights and retina burning DRLs to anything that moves, and the idiot boy racers that try to copy them by fitting poor quality, badly adjusted non-approved lights to their cars. I am sick of being blinded by these lights (both on almost new vehicles that must be faulty and by the badly fitted retro brigade)

MOT law is such now that you can no longer get away with retro fitting HID burners into lights they weren't designed to be used in. So now all the youf around here have swapped to LED headlight bulbs which are as bright if not brighter and not legislated against. I don't mind most DRL's but you are right about an arms race to come up with the most powerful lights.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't mind most DRL's
My big gripe with DRLs (apart from them getting pretty bright on the most recent cars) is that they condition drivers to only see anything with a light on it as a vehicle/road user and automatically discard everything else. This is a huge problem for anyone that doesn't have the latest, brightest light on them when they travel down the road. I still don't think that joining the DRL light crowd is the answer for a cyclist.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I wish someone would tell the car manufacturers who are in an arms race to fit ever brighter headlights and retina burning DRLs to anything that moves, and the idiot boy racers that try to copy them by fitting poor quality, badly adjusted non-approved lights to their cars. I am sick of being blinded by these lights (both on almost new vehicles that must be faulty and by the badly fitted retro brigade) and as well as blinding me it also makes it almost impossible for other road users to see me on my bike as I cross the beam :cursing:

I agree with this, you can tell a Range Rover a mile off... there headlights are down right dangerous in my opinion coming towards you or behind...

My car has these lights from new and as a driver they are fantastic, but I hate them as a motorist...

The other issue is gas discharge head lamps have a cut off point which is very well defined so they look like they are flashing you all the time.... the conversion kits should be banned as these are even worse as they are in headlights never designed to have them...

Drago

Legendary Member
DRLs are a crock. There is no link to a reduction in casualties anywhere other than a northern European, sub-arctic climate. Another piece of 'common sense'that fails to deliver.

I find myself agreeing with @I like Skol (quite a lot, he's a sensible sort) Why are Audi DRLs so bright, that they have to be dimmed in order that the indicators aren't obscured in the glare? Answers on a postcard to...

My visible outline has been broken up,
Observers brain now can not calculate my speed,
13 I've just been T Boned Street,
Sorry mate I didnt see you shire.

Top Bottom