Looking for a super bright rear lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I do have a set of Lezyne USB chargeable lights just for emergencies, but for all my regular lights, and a pair of fronts I just bought last week I ALWAYS get lights that take AAAs. No worries about failed built in batteries and it is easy to carry spares with you just in case. I don't get why the USB charging type have become so popular, it is just building in limited lifespan and obsolescence.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't get why the USB charging type have become so popular, it is just building in limited lifespan and obsolescence.
I prefer them because I know that I'm starting the commute fully charged, so to speak :laugh:
Battery lights are fiddly to change in the dark.
With battery lights I'm never sure when it's time to change them.
If I'd use rechargeables I'd still need to charge them daily for a front light, may as well charge the full light via usb.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like the USB option purely for convenience and the fact I don’t have to carry spares. On long rides I have a battery charger and cable anyway, but I have never needed it for lights. Just my phone and Wahoo.

I finally settled on a set of lights to carry as lightweight spares for Audax. I went for the MOON METEOR C3 and COMET X LIGHT SET from Tredz. With a discount code it cost less than £30.00

E849FDB3-97A9-44CC-982E-7300746B033C.jpeg

Last edited:
I do have a set of Lezyne USB chargeable lights just for emergencies, but for all my regular lights, and a pair of fronts I just bought last week I ALWAYS get lights that take AAAs. No worries about failed built in batteries and it is easy to carry spares with you just in case. I don't get why the USB charging type have become so popular, it is just building in limited lifespan and obsolescence.
I think its the ease of charging, most folk (me included) are too lazy to go out to get AAA batteries or have the time to do so. USB is just more convenient for me.

Slick

Guru
I prefer them, especially during winter when commuting in the dark in both directions. Obviously their fully charged at night and they would take me home but I always plug them into the computer at work to ensure they are at full for going home.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think its the ease of charging, most folk (me included) are too lazy to go out to get AAA batteries or have the time to do so. USB is just more convenient for me.
WHAT? Eneloop NiMH rechargeables are the answer. Disposable batteries for a regular commuter would be madness. My Current Eneloops must be about 4yrs old now and paid for themselves many times over.

As for charging everyday, what a faff that would be! I have just changed front lights as the old ones wouldn't clamp on the 31.8mm handlebars of my new commuter bike. The old ones probably lasted about 16 commutes before dimming(about 24hrs of use) while the new ones only take 2xAAA rather than the 3x of the previous ones so I have yet to find the run time for these, if I get 8-10 commutes I will be more than happy. Rear lights seem to run for ever so usually get a battery swap/recharge at the same times as the front ones become due.

Before anyone says it, these light are more than adequate to be seen (If they are bothering to look!).

WHAT? Eneloop NiMH rechargeables are the answer. Disposable batteries for a regular commuter would be madness. My Current Eneloops must be about 4yrs old now and paid for themselves many times over.

As for charging everyday, what a faff that would be! I have just changed front lights as the old ones wouldn't clamp on the 31.8mm handlebars. The old ones probably lasted about 16 commutes before dimming(about 24hrs of use) while the new ones only take 2xAAA rather than the 3x of the previous ones so I have yet to find the run time for these, if I get 8-10 commutes I will be more than happy. Rear lights seem to run for ever so usually get a battery swap/recharge at the same times as the front ones become due.

Before anyone says it, these light are more than adequate to be seen (If they are bothering to look!).
Been there done that there not as convenient; usb ports are almost everywhere these days including my hot desk (no fixed place to leave a charger). If I could I'd have to remember and go out and buy that charger, I would rather spend my money on something else. If you prefer to use AAA so be it, do what ever floats your boat but I think of people find the convenience of USB better.

Slick

Guru
I need front lights to see with, hence the daily charged usb.
Currently a CatEye Volt 800, the bees knees :becool:
I'm the very same as first 6 miles and last 3 is pitch black in the morning.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If I could I'd have to remember and go out and buy that charger, I would rather spend my money on something else.
FFS! Remember to go out and buy that charger, SERIOUSLY? It is a one off purchase, at the same time you 'remember' to buy your lights and batteries. And as for having better things to spend your money on, great, just go ahead and spend your hard earned on an otherwise perfectly functional light that has to go in the bin once the built in battery has died. That has just got to be great for your finances and the environment :wacko:

FFS! Remember to go out and buy that charger, SERIOUSLY? It is a one off purchase, at the same time you 'remember' to buy your lights and batteries. And as for having better things to spend your money on, great, just go ahead and spend your hard earned on an otherwise perfectly functional light that has to go in the bin once the built in battery has died. That has just got to be great for your finances and the environment :wacko:
Nice snip out of info, as I said I've done the rechargeable AAA thing and I don't find it as easy or convenient but if you do so be it :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Nice snip out of info, as I said I've done the rechargeable AAA thing and I don't find it as easy or convenient but if you do so be it :okay:
Like you said, 'What ever floats your boat'. I won't disagree that USB is conveinient, but that doesn't make them better.
I just snipped out that comment because it stood out as a singularly ridiculous statement. You don't have to remember to go out and buy a battery charger! You might have to remember to charge your light batteries, but then that also applies to charging your USB lights. I really don't think you have thought through your argument before you typed your post.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't know, I've never used alkaimes in my lights so can't directly comlare. I use very good quality rechargeable and had zero problems, and they hold charge effectively for a year. I expect cheapo ones would be greatly inferior.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The Eneloops i use have an excellent run time and eventually begin to dim slowly. So slowly that if i get to work and think the lights are not at 100% brightness as i turn them off they actually recover slightly during the next 12 hrs and can still give enough to safely ride home for 40 minutes without fading to uselessness. They also hold charge for the summer when not being used. In fact, i would say they are indistinguishable from disposables except i dont have any direct back to back comparison on run times.

Top Bottom