Looking for a super bright rear lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sorry, I meant 110 candle power. I must have read and re-read that line 10 times without spotting the mistake :blush:

View attachment 434552

Rolson do a clone that is equally good and much cheaper.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had one of these, very good. I lost it on a MTB trail :sad:
Rolson do a clone that is equally good and much cheaper.

Mine is the older version. I'm not sure how long I have had it but it is about 6yrs. I saw the receipt in a drawer in the last few weeks (well, you never know when a receipt will come in handy! :laugh:).
upload_2018-10-19_14-13-26.png

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mine is the older version. I'm not sure how long I have had it but it is about 6yrs. I saw the receipt in a drawer in the last few weeks (well, you never know when a receipt will come in handy! :laugh:).
View attachment 434567

I've got one of those, excellent light. I've also got a couple of these equally good Phaart lights:

phaart.jpg

Picked them up a couple of years ago when they had a crazy sale on them at 99p each.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
These Lezyne Strip lights look good. Sold as 150 or 300 lumens. I would have thought the 150 would be ideal for something like Audax where you don’t need to laser your ride buddies’ eyes to a frazzle and you need the battery to last.

I am thinking about the Lezyne Hecto and the Strip for back up lights which I don’t currently have. USB stick rechargeable so you don’t need to worry about loose cables. Insert straight into a battery charger.

64938B56-83EE-4B8C-877A-A8A12B5B8A86.jpeg

Slick

Guru
These Lezyne Strip lights look good. Sold as 150 or 300 lumens. I would have thought the 150 would be ideal for something like Audax where you don’t need to laser your ride buddies’ eyes to a frazzle and you need the battery to last.

I am thinking about the Lezyne Hecto and the Strip for back up lights which I don’t currently have. USB stick rechargeable so you don’t need to worry about loose cables. Insert straight into a battery charger.

View attachment 434571
I still have one but as I now use the cyclic6 it's been relegated to a back up light. Still very good without dazzling anyone.

Last edited:
I have to question your reason for wanting to run day time lights. IME I only find it desirable to run day time lights when it is seriously overcast or where I am cycling in an area where there is a lot of patchy shade and the contrast between shade and bright areas is high. TBH if the drivers are not looking, or are doing mega lunacy warp speed, then no amount of lights are going to help. Road positioning and awareness of the surroundings are your best defence. Using daytime lights might be an effective comfort blanket but in reality will most likely do bugger all for your actual safety.
Tunnels. A very good reason for daytime lights!
:biggrin:

View attachment 434571
I had one great at first but after a couple of winters of near daily use it refuses to hold charge. It would switch on really bright then 15mins later no warning it'd cut out :-/

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I had one great at first but after a couple of winters of near daily use it refuses to hold charge. It would switch on really bright then 15mins later no warning it'd cut out :-/

Good to know, thanks. Did you own the Hecto or strip?

simongt

Guru
but obviously you don't need it too bright. :okay:
On that point, I used to follow a cyclist who had a set of VERY bright flashing rear lights; three as I recall and it was very unpleasant being less than about 100 metres behind him as they had a disconcertingly dazzle effect :eek: to any following road user. I did manage to politely observe to him about the excessive brightness of his rear lights once - he, a man in his fifties, told me to f**k off. :thumbsdown:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
On that point, I used to follow a cyclist who had a set of VERY bright flashing rear lights; three as I recall and it was very unpleasant being less than about 100 metres behind him as they had a disconcertingly dazzle effect :eek: to any following road user. I did manage to politely observe to him about the excessive brightness of his rear lights once - he, a man in his fifties, told me to f**k off. :thumbsdown:

Similar experience on my first night Audax. I ended up being matey with the chap who I annoyed and we rode together on another Audax later that year. Hello Steve from Bulawayo :hello: Do you still see red, flashing stars on dark nights?

Slick

Guru
Disappointing. I never really considered it before until myself and another got caught out on a ride that lasted a lot longer than it was suppose to. He had nothing whilst I had a spare and ended up almost blind travelling behind my own light. :eek:

It came back to mind earlier this week as I noticed what I could only describe as a bright flashing super white light that once it had burned out your retinas felt like it was about to bring on some kind of seizure. I almost expected some kind of ufo to be the cause of it but was left perplexed to see a cyclist with a light that could dazzle every other road user in the early morning gloom. I'm sure he felt quite smug with himself, but I'm equally sure he was causing all sorts of problems for others.

Last edited:
Merci. That’s a shame. My Lezyne Zecto Drives have been brilliant. The only hassle I have had is a temperamental cable issue. The similar Knog lights look the part but the battery life is too short for Audax night rides. Back to the drawing board.
I had the zecto drive before would still be using it but it's rubber band mount eventually snapped I had similar issues with the charging cable I had to use a small string to hold open the rubber cap or it would try to close and knock the usb cable out enough to make it fail

Top Bottom