Looking for a super bright rear lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
I don't get why the USB charging type have become so popular, it is just building in limited lifespan and obsolescence.
Having had two rechargeable lamps pack up on me for no apparent reason; both less than two years old, I'm inclined to agree. But I do use both and generally a once a week charge up is fine for me as I do shifts, it's only one way; 12 miles each way, in the dark.
Currently, my trusty aged Cateye battery rear lamp has replaced the duff rechargeable one - ! :rofl:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I like the USB option purely for convenience and the fact I don’t have to carry spares. On long rides I have a battery charger and cable anyway, but I have never needed it for lights. Just my phone and Wahoo.

I finally settled on a set of lights to carry as lightweight spares for Audax. I went for the MOON METEOR C3 and COMET X LIGHT SET from Tredz. With a discount code it cost less than £30.00

View attachment 434738

As you were: Tredz failed to honour this order. Out of stock despite showing availability and taking payment. Gets my goat because that isn’t the first time that Tredz have messed up like this.

I reordered with Parkers of Bolton. Almost the same price but with an upgraded rear light. Shipped already.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
These Lezyne Strip lights look good. Sold as 150 or 300 lumens. I would have thought the 150 would be ideal for something like Audax where you don’t need to laser your ride buddies’ eyes to a frazzle and you need the battery to last.

I am thinking about the Lezyne Hecto and the Strip for back up lights which I don’t currently have. USB stick rechargeable so you don’t need to worry about loose cables. Insert straight into a battery charger.

View attachment 434571

I’ve just put a Strip drive 150 in a returns envelope to Wiggle. It’s never worked satisfactorily; it was bought late spring and on a couple of rides was found not working after an hour or so (on a low flash setting). I had it on my bike as a spare/extra light and yesterday went to use it as the rain got heavier and visibility worsened. Again it was flat. So with no confidence in it, it’s being returned. The Zecto 80 rear is much better and more than bright enough

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Very happy with my offerings from Moon. Meteor (front) and Comet (rear)

A smorgasbord of modes which I find too much. As these are for night Audax rides I need to utilise the most economical, but being a goldfish I can’t remember, from the flow chart which mode does what lumens, what flash pattern and how long it may last. So I have hidden a smidge of masking tape with a code so I can. Good eh?

Top Bottom