Looking for a very cheap road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fozz

last summer when i started looking for a road bike i really wanted to build one myself with a budget of about 200 quid, i used to build my own bikes 25 years ago. But I found all that would buy me is a frame that had been stored in a duckpond for 20 years and a rear wheel :wacko: so i started looking for complete bikes in that range there are some but you get what you pay for. so i bit the bullet and sold a few things on ebay and found an extra £100 and bought one of these;

http://www.rutlandcy...Road-Bike-.html

still a cheap bike :thumbsup:
the reason being it uses the same frame as the top of the range Airlite (that RRP`s for nearly £900) it`s a sound basic bike with named parts and i can upgrade as funds (and wife) allow.......

yes you can go down the secondhand route, but unless you know of some you can sit on and try you are always going to take pot luck on buying a second hand bike based on a picture and ebay description.

there, thats another newbie`s two penneth

:smile:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Peter,

I would avoid any new bike in the £200 range. The kind of bikes you'll get will be poor quality and go wrong often. You'll spend more time fixing things than riding.

If that is the limit of your budget, then £200 will get you some decent used bikes. They will be far more enjoyable and last longer.

If in doubt, get a friend who knows what they're looking for to go with you for viewings.

And...welcome to the forum.

amaferanga

Veteran
£200 can get a pretty decent used bike, but will only get a very crap new bike.

The Bikeradar classifieds are as good a place as many to find a decent used bike as they are usually priced realistically and there's a lot more activity than on most cycling forums.

Best find a knowledgeable friend to help you if your buying used so you don't buy a lemon.

vickster

Legendary Member
What size do you need as these end of line bargains are in limited sizes?

Decathlon do a drop handle barred bike for £270

Bike radar has decent reviews

Jezston

Über Member
What kind of terrain will you be riding on? If nothing desperately hilly, you'd get a hell of a lot more for your money if you went single speed.

OP
OP
P

Peter91

Mainly road, but also some small country roads that might have a bit more gravel on and a few more potholes.
As for size I'm not sure, I'm about 6ft, so I don't know if I need a 55cm frame or a 47cm frame :wacko:
thanks for the help

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That Raleigh looks a reasonably good spec for the price. With a steel fork it won't be the lightest around (Approx. 25.75lbs (11.68kg) for the 47cm according to Evans) but it looks pretty decent.
smile.gif

According to the Raleigh website the 55cm should suit someone with an inside leg between 32"-37" if that helps you size it.

Fozz

based on the Raleigh i`m 5`10 and the 55 is ok for me my seat stem is raised about 13 cm

i`m getting the vibe that you don`t want to be done with secondhand, am i reading that right??

I'm 5'10" and have a 56cm- framed Spesh Secteur so, depending on the rest of the geometry you may.....just may get away with a 55cm frame but I wouldn't be confident myself. Don't buy a bike without a test-ride if at all possible. Your body will thank you.

Bill

OP
OP
P

Peter91

based on the Raleigh i`m 5`10 and the 55 is ok for me my seat stem is raised about 13 cm

i`m getting the vibe that you don`t want to be done with secondhand, am i reading that right??
Yeah kind of, I'll be riding it a lot, and mainly to somewhere about 10 miles away so I don't really want it to need some sort of urgent repair and have to walk it back.

That Raleigh looks a reasonably good spec for the price. With a steel fork it won't be the lightest around (Approx. 25.75lbs (11.68kg) for the 47cm according to Evans) but it looks pretty decent.
smile.gif

Thanks, I think I might go with that then.

Top Bottom