Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Schwalbe Marathon Mondial - 35c

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vittoria Randonneur Pro - 35c

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Other - Please type in a reply

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callummac

Regular
Hi All,
I am looking for some advice on tyres.

I ride a Pinnacle Arkose 3 (2015 version) which I mainly cycle for recreation, fitness and commuting. The type of cycling I usually do is mainly on paved roads, with some cycling on cyclepaths or slightly more gravelled roads.

I currently have a pair of Kenda Small Block 8 (700 x 35c) tyres and my old bike had the bullet proof Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700 x 38c).

I am ideally trying to get a tyre that isn't as heavy as those particular Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres and offers good to excellent puncture protection.

I am looking for advice on what tyre, given my riding style and the type of surfaces I ride on would be suitable for my bike.

Should mention I am only looking for clinchers as my current wheel-set is only clincher compatible.

Thank you very much in advance.

Callum

Voyayer Hypers are nice.

Other option maybe Schwalbe Marathon Racers

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How about the standard (Greenguard) Schwalbe Marathon. Lighter and easier rolling than M+ but still very puncture resistant.
Totally agree :smile:
Mine survived the mainly off road path Callander to Glasgow, plus numerous Falkirk Wheel/Kelpies/Edinburgh canal rides without a flat.
Still going strong after a good few years use.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I replaced the OE Schwalbe Tyrago on the back of my hybrid with a Marathon and found it generally slow and very lacking in grip off road.
Swapped it for a Schwalbe Land Cruiser after a month which I've found to be spot on so far - fast enough on road, with decent grip off it (it's rated as a 3 for puncture resistance on Schwalbes 1 to 5 ratings).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I replaced the OE Schwalbe Tyrago on the back of my hybrid with a Marathon and found it generally slow and very lacking in grip off road.
Which Marathon? Sadly Schwalbe have done a Vittoria and turned one tyre into a range of rather different ones.

Marathon green guard or Delta Cruiser are my preferences, but I rate the Vittoria as probably the best in the poll.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Which Marathon? Sadly Schwalbe have done a Vittoria and turned one tyre into a range of rather different ones.

Marathon green guard or Delta Cruiser are my preferences, but I rate the Vittoria as probably the best in the poll.

Sorry, I'm not sure - possibly the Green Guard one, but its at the back of the shed somewhere as a very emergency spare. :headshake:

Mitchelin Pro 4 SCs or Endurance are my favourites for the last few years a good balance of grip, weight, roll, p'ture resistance, longevity, price. The Endurance lean slightly more towards p'ture resistance and longevity whereas the SC's lean slightly more to the grip, weight and roll; although not much in it.

Edit: Doh, there 23-28mm and probably not what you are looking for, the last 32mm tyres (you'll get 35mm too) that I had were Conti Contacts and Conti Reflex, both good tyres well wearing and good p'ture resistance.

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
Continental do Gatorskins up to 32mm. Have them on my commute bike for comfort and didn't have any issues (punctures or otherwise).

I am ideally trying to get a tyre that isn't as heavy as those particular Schwalbe Marathon plus tyres and offers good to excellent puncture protection.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/schwalbe-marathon-deluxe-tyre/aid:643283

Same puncture protection as standard Marathons but at nearly 250g per wheel lighter. I heard a clicking sound from my back wheel a couple of months ago. Stopped to check it out and found one of these fully embedded into the tyre.

1a.jpg

I feared the worst but pulled it out and to find it got nowhere near the inner tube :smile:

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
I have been impressed with Continental GP four seasons.

I, like you, ride a 2015 Arkose 3. I might be wrong but if your still riding the stock Alex wheels then they are tubeless compatible.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feared the worst but pulled it out and to find it got nowhere near the inner tube :smile:
I had this lovely little bit of a spring stuck in my rear tyre a few weeks ago:
spike.jpg

It didn't deflate anything, but the bit sticking out knocked the coatguard adrift, so I rode home with coatguard wedged between mudguard and rear rack leg to keep it out of the tyre. :sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I use either Marathon Supreme (April-Sept) or Marathon Deluxe (Oct-March).

Both are bulletproof and grippy. Both are much lighter than the rest of the road touring/commuter range apart from Racers (I think).

I use the Deluxe in winter as they seem to deal better with loose,gritty, wet roads than the Supremes.

Top Bottom