Looking for tyre recommendation - really struggling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi, Im looking for new tyres for my bike (Triban R500).
I think I am after 28 width.
I use the bike for both commuting and some ocasional recreational cyling. My commute is 75% road and 25% "well groomed" tow path. So I don't want the tyre to be a super super delicate slick, but equally I occasionally (few times a year) go for 100mile road cycles and don't want to be held back by my tyre choice.

So something that is 28 wide, good punture resistance. 80% road focused but wont be horrible on the tow path. Im just not sure how much "tread" to go for.

thanks.

Oh and cost! can't be expensive, not now! ideally max 30 each. but even more ideally less is best.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

rivers

How far can I go?
Pirelli cinturato velos is what I use on my winter bike. Robust, good for road and light gravel. Pricey though

vickster

Legendary Member
The rubino's look just about ideal, how is the puncture resistance on them?
Pretty good in my experience on previous generations. That said I get very few actual punctures with any tyre but I don’t usually ride in really bad weather. I have more valve failures that lead to tube demise

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d fit a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
Why...awful things! The OP may actually want to enjoy cycling :unsure:
I’d rather change the odd tube than have to drag those heavy slippery things around!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Continental-grand-prix-4-season-2015-vs-Michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015-vs-Vittoria-rubino-pro-control-2016
Here you go. The Vittoria's are only £14 (for 25s) here.
I have been pleased with both others but you will do well to get them for <£35.
I’d fit a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus.
I bet you don't ride 100+ miles on M+s or if you do, I identify you as a masochist or in a deep resistance training phase (of your life).
M+ 28s are 750g heavy (cf <300g for the ones I compared above).

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The 28mm width is probably a good compromise but you're going to have to hang your hat on one tread format as you'll never get a tyre that ticks all the boxes. I switched to (35mm) slicks on my all-road bike; they suit my riding well currently (mostly road but with some lightish off-road thrown in) and are great in the dry / on wet tarmac but bloody awful on wet mud where you can't escape the need for a deep, pronounced tread pattern.

I think you're unlikely to find anything really capable off-road in a 700x28c; certainly nothing that will also manage decent low rolling resistance and low wear-rates on tarmac, so realistically you're looking at slicks / pseudo-slicks with minimal tread. If the tow path is surfaced (rather than being bare mud that will turn to slippery soup after rain) you should be fine as long as you choose a decent quality tyre.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Hi guys. I really, genuinely appriciate all the advice. I settled on these. I think they should perform admirally. The tow path section I do use is very good quality. (no mud at all) it like a fine gritty somewhat asphalted surface. So I leaned on the "road" side of things. thanks! I got these. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-iv-g20-road-tyre/
Mainly from wiggle because I have free next day (need to commute again monday) and I wanted some bar tape I could only find there.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would have gone folding from Merlin as easier to get on and off, but hope they work out for you 👍

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
well im trying to cancel the order on wiggle but they are saying its already shipped.... even though i ordered it like 20 seconds ago... No phone number to contact them at all. seems a bit scammy.

vickster

Legendary Member
well im trying to cancel te order on wiggle but they are saying its already shipped.... even though i ordered it like 20 seconds ago...
Ah well, next time for the others of available 👍
You could try pinging Wiggle on their live chat?
Or just get them both and return the Wiggle ones if you prefer

Top Bottom