Looking for tyre recommendation - really struggling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Live chat says all agents busy - send us an email. which i have done. Id really rather not the hassle of having to return them. My wheels are notoriously difficult to get tyres on and off, so the other ones would be lots better. pretty dissapointed in wiggle not having a contact number or live chat avalible

and.. you cant even DM them on twitter. they REALLY dont want customers contacting them do they.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get both, return the others to Wiggle, just a drop off I think (I never use Wiggle now as you can’t phone them :rolleyes: so not 100% sure but used to be Collect+).
You’ll have the funds back in 2 weeks :okay:
You wanted the tape too anyhow. Assume it’s been closed to cancel due to being a next day

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Im going to call my credit card company and cancel it on that end. I know it probably seems petty and bloody minded. But I really don't appriciate the way you literally cant cancel an order you JUST placed and they make it impossible to contact them. MAinly the contact thing. I really loathe companies that make it impossible to contact them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Im going to call my credit card company and cancel it on that end. I know it probably seems petty and bloody minded. But I really don't appriciate the way you literally cant cancel an order you JUST placed and they make it impossible to contact them.
You’ll still have to return the tyres if Wiggle dispute the CC action.
You’ll probably have the tyres and be able return them before the CC company refunds if they do. Wiggle then have 45 days to dispute and if you have the goods, they’ll likely win

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Im trying to avoid them shipping them out to me. They said i couldnt cancel the order as it was already "shipped" literally 10 seconds after I clicked the button. Im not buying that. Can't imagine they will win with that defence. urgh. If they just had a phone number....

Twilkes

Guru
Pirelli cinturato velos is what I use on my winter bike. Robust, good for road and light gravel. Pricey though

What are the previous tyres you've ridden to compare them to? I've been looking at these for a while but just couldn't get past the price. Bicyclerollingresistance has it down as a fast tyre with better puncture resistance than a lot of the Armadillo/Gatorskin type tyres, is that your experience?

vickster

Legendary Member
Im trying to avoid them shipping them out to me. They said i couldnt cancel the order as it was already "shipped" literally 10 seconds after I clicked the button. Im not buying that. Can't imagine they will win with that defence. urgh. If they just had a phone number....
There’s no win or lose. You receive the tyres, you return them. Job done 👍
Merlin deliver quickly ime but I’m not sure if they do next day, so you may not have before Monday. And it won’t be free
If Wiggle do deliver tomorrow, you have Sunday to fit them 👍

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
There’s no win or lose. You receive the tyres, you return them. Job done 👍
Merlin deliver quickly ime but I’m not sure if they do next day, so you may not have before Monday. And it won’t be free
If Wiggle do deliver tomorrow, you have Sunday to fit them 👍
All very true. Thanks. But honestly my wheels are really NOTORIOUSLY bad to try and fit tyres to. Alas I'll try. If they go on OK. Ill keep them, If they dont. Ill get the merlin ones.

rivers

How far can I go?
What are the previous tyres you've ridden to compare them to? I've been looking at these for a while but just couldn't get past the price. Bicyclerollingresistance has it down as a fast tyre with better puncture resistance than a lot of the Armadillo/Gatorskin type tyres, is that your experience?
To be honest, I was looking for a replacement tyre for my winter bike (I had hutchinson overide gravel tyres on prior) that were hard wearing, could cope with light off-road gravel, and had a low-ish rolling resistance, and were preferably tubeless. I've been running gp4000s on my summer bike, which aren't great for winter. My previous winter bike had rubino pro g+, which were fine, but not tubeless. Spoke to my LBS, and he recommended the cinturatos, so went away, did a bit of research and haven't looked back since. They are pricey, but if they're going to last me a couple of years of winter riding (26 mile round trip commute 4 days/week, plus club runs and longer rides with my friends), then I'm happy to pay it.

CXRAndy

Guru
If there is space for 30mm 'Schwalbe G Ones Speed' are excellent tyres. Tubeless will be excellent rolling and puncture protection

Will Spin

Über Member
Best wearing tyre with I've found to date has been Shwalbe Durano Plus. Roads around here are horrendous, flint shards, hedge flailing debris, potholes etc, so far nearly 4,000 miles with no puncture, other tyres haven't come anywhere near this. Another plus is that these tyres seem so have a cushioning effect due to the puncture resistant material, which may add to rolling resistance but makes them very fast on descents.

Tom B

Guru
Why...awful things! The OP may actually want to enjoy cycling :unsure:
I’d rather change the odd tube than have to drag those heavy slippery things around!

I compromise with the Marathon Green guard in a similar duty cycle. I ride them up to 120miles but also on tow paths, gravel, cobbles etc

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
So... To give you an idea of just how bad these wheels are to fit tyres to. I am in hour 3 now. Two of trying have snapped 4 heavy duty plastic tyre levers. So we are now onto metal tyre levers. And as much as we have tried to avoid it have holed 3 inner tubes. one of them twice. One tyre is on (using boiling water and 2 hours later). I mean its just absolutely ridiulous. oh and yeah the rims look like scrap now because of having to use metal tyre levers. surely someone should have invented a better way by now??

Top Bottom