looking for work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is just a rant....

I have been looking for work for few months and when I mention I have hospital appointments I get the feeling I not got the jobs because of this.

I know 1 recruitment agency did this because when I was at college I applied for a job and got a telephone interview but I didn't mention anything about appointments but they only had full time positions left so I couldn't do it because I was at college full time and they said when I finish college reapply because they are always recruiting for the position as it has a very high turn around because it is a contact centre job. so when I finished college I reapplied for the job and mentioned my appointments and didn't even get an telephone interview and when I asked for feedback the reason they give was lack of experience, the experience I had was 6 years working in a contact centre taking calls from customers.

since I have had interviews and when I mention I have hospital appointments it seems like I am overlooked because of this. possibly the company doesn't want the potential hassle.

Pauluk

Don't mention it then until you have got the job and started.

Pauluk

Yes it would. You didn't say that they had specifically ask that question. Companies do sometimes ask about holiday commitments for planning purposes but asking about appointments seems a bit over the top to me. I think if a company asked me that question I wouldn't want to work for them, what an earth do they expect? It would tell me that they fear any kind of flexibility.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
large number of the application forms i have filled out ask this question and when it is not asked in the application form and you get an interview they ask it. it seems to be a popular question along with "how do you plan to get to work"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
large number of the application forms i have filled out ask this question and when it is not asked in the application form and you get an interview they ask it. it seems to be a popular question along with "how do you plan to get to work"
Just write "no" on the form: when it's time for the appointment, say it only just came through.

Pauluk

Well I suppose its a sign of the times and the state of the job market. So many people out of work chasing sh*t jobs, employers can afford to be choosy. I don't envy you.

lordloveaduck

lie. It get's your foot in the door, you can always book days off.

Drago

Legendary Member
You're permitted a certain amount of time off per year for medical appointments.

I'd steer clear of recruitment agencies. After all, if they knew so much about finding jobs none of them would be working there in the first place.

This is just a rant....

I have been looking for work for few months and when I mention I have hospital appointments I get the feeling I not got the jobs because of this.

I know 1 recruitment agency did this because when I was at college I applied for a job and got a telephone interview but I didn't mention anything about appointments but they only had full time positions left so I couldn't do it because I was at college full time and they said when I finish college reapply because they are always recruiting for the position as it has a very high turn around because it is a contact centre job. so when I finished college I reapplied for the job and mentioned my appointments and didn't even get an telephone interview and when I asked for feedback the reason they give was lack of experience, the experience I had was 6 years working in a contact centre taking calls from customers.

since I have had interviews and when I mention I have hospital appointments it seems like I am overlooked because of this. possibly the company doesn't want the potential hassle.
a) Don't mention them unless asked.
b) Learn to punctuate/write sentences.

asterix

Comrade Member
..and a lot of people don't want the hassle of doing their own gardening so would employ an odd-job person. Having experience of working on an 'action line', I'd rather do that than work in a contact centre, other things being equal!

Top Bottom