Looking to buy a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
tbh i don`t really like the retro look of that example you give, I`m sure its a class bike but not my taste. Had a look at the Pompino and that might be an option it comes in at £500 which also fits in with what i`m allowed to buy with the cycle2 work scheme. Only thing is Helfrauds would need to source it.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
peejay78 said:
you could get a schlongster, and it ride quite well and for about two weeks you'll be so thrilled to be riding fixed that all will seem well. However, your reverie will gradually fade and be replaced by a gnawing feeling in your stomach, the more of the rust-coloured mondeos you see. every now and then you'll catch sight of other lighter, more gorgeous, fun looking machines, and then you'll see yourself reflected in a shop window and the bar shape and frame geometry will look more and more wrong every time, and you'll feel less and less special and zen like, despite the fact that you seem to be the only person to have bought a wrongster who actually rides it fixed. by this point you'll start to plan your next purchase, stealthily, and through tentative forays into the dark arts of internet forums, and after a number of months you'll end up with something like this:

1274391940_5fbf9219f9.jpg

and all will seem well in the world, disneyesque chirping birds will herald your arrival, random strangers and hardened professionals alike will compliment you on your bike. and you will mistake having an amazing bike as a sign of 'completion' and think that those glances of envy and admiration are aimed at you, and not the 631 lugwork.

i'd go for the latter option.
Or something like this, Bob Jackson, but not advertising the fact........

If I may suggest another possible option....
Sir could always eschew the off the peg fixie option and convert his existing bike to a single-speed with a Hub Jub chain tensioner and hub spacer kit. That's what I did (in lieu of funds for a rear-mech/STI replacement) and voila! single-speed joy for about £20. ;)
Of course it horrifies the fixionistas but that's not necessarily a bad thing, now is it? :biggrin:

Squaggles

We don't all live in London though . I've never seen anybody around here riding a Langster . A lot of people have old steel bikes but not as some kind of statement , they've just had the same bike since 1956 . It's Yorkshire , we don't do spending money ;)

zimzum42 said:
London is full of people with an Evans-fresh Langster, such a shame......

skwerl

Squaggles said:
We don't all live in London though . I've never seen anybody around here riding a Langster . A lot of people have old steel bikes but not as some kind of statement , they've just had the same bike since 1956 . It's Yorkshire , we don't do spending money ;)

London's full of fixed bikes full stop. When I switched to fixed about 4 years back I spotted one or two each day. Always courier bikes generally. I rarely saw one on the way to/from work. I saw a brakeless one maybe once a month. Now, they're everywhere and I see several brakeless every day.

I don't give a shoot myself but the snobbery is part of the whole cafe-culture-urban-chic-fixie-blah-blah-crap mode du jour that is the fixed phenomenon at the moment. Give it a couple of years and people will be on unicycles or some such and no one will care.
The "don't buy a Langster, they're crap" thing bugs me a bit. If it was because they are generally a bad bike then fair enough but, wheels aside, it's a decent bike form the money. The A1 frame is well established and very good. So that means it's crap just because there are lots of them around. A victim of their own success I guess.

As an aside - the new London Langster is an abomination. That's based purely on looks - it's heinous.

peejay78

i agree with everything you say, skewrl. i reckon the langsters ride well. i just don't like them, and this is partly because i value the aesthetic of cycling, certain lines, shapes, etc. the langster doesn't weigh up. it's ugly, but good.

i bet when these mythical yorkshiremen bought their 1958 bicycle it was top of a fairly limited range, hence the lack of any need to trade up. these days it is more common for people to dip a toe in with a cheap off the peg, before realising the limitations as their riding style changes, then buying a better, nicer bike which probably last the distance.

as for the london langs... i just threw up again.

skwerl

peejay78 said:
i agree with everything you say, skewrl. i reckon the langsters ride well. i just don't like them, and this is partly because i value the aesthetic of cycling, certain lines, shapes, etc. the langster doesn't weigh up. it's ugly, but good.

i bet when these mythical yorkshiremen bought their 1958 bicycle it was top of a fairly limited range, hence the lack of any need to trade up. these days it is more common for people to dip a toe in with a cheap off the peg, before realising the limitations as their riding style changes, then buying a better, nicer bike which probably last the distance.

as for the london langs... i just threw up again.

I forgot to point out that I don't own a Langster. I have a Condor Potenza but not for aesthetic reasons. ;)

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
what about the Lemond Fillmore, it looks quite nice albeit it doesn`t take mudguards racks etc, but I`m now not so sure thats important, the racier the better ;)

domtyler

Über Member
This is slightly different again, an unashamed race bike, straight off the track (well apart from the front brake).
I use it for commuting every day and just love it love it love it. So fast and agile, it slips through the smallest of gaps with room to spare.
Dolan8.jpg

domtyler

Über Member
It's not off the peg. You can buy the frames from terrydolan.co.uk though. The frame is alu and it has not got expensive kit (yet!). The wheels are mavic cxp22s on Ambrosio hubs made by Harry Rowland. All in was about £650.

peejay78

those harry rowland's rock. i have the same wheelset. really glad i didn't go for velocity rims, they look pretty vile and weigh a ton.

Top Bottom