Looking to buy a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Canrider

Guru
So:
1. Buy rust-coloured Langster
2. Repaint it (Hammerite for top marks)
3. ???
4. Profit!

Or source the US-version Langster Seattle or something. Or, just buy a bike and ride it.

tomb1960

Have you thought about a Genesis Flyer, I am very pleased with mine, but then fixers are very very rare in Birmingham.

Will1985

Über Member
MrGrumpy said:
tbh i don`t really like the retro look of that example you give, I`m sure its a class bike but not my taste. Had a look at the Pompino and that might be an option it comes in at £500 which also fits in with what i`m allowed to buy with the cycle2 work scheme. Only thing is Helfrauds would need to source it.
Send Brant an email asking him what to do - I've seen the scheme previously mentioned in the same sentence as on-one either on the old C+ or the on-one site.

The new black pompino frame looks hot! :ohmy:

TimO

Guru
Will1985 said:
Send Brant an email asking him what to do - I've seen the scheme previously mentioned in the same sentence as on-one either on the old C+ or the on-one site.

The new black pompino frame looks hot! :ohmy:

I'm busy trying to get a Pompino through our Cycle 2 Work scheme, which is run by Halfords. They were supposed to order it almost two weeks ago, and I've heard bugger all, so I'll probably chase them up this week, and see what is happening. They didn't seem to have an issue with ordering stuff from Planet-X.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I`ve e-mailed Brant to enquire about stock anyway and he has told me it will be 4 -5 weeks till large sizes are in ?

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
starseven said:

is the tricross not just single speed as in not fixed ? Apart from the colour it might actually be not bad. I`vbe used a road bike for commuting for so long and its been fine comfort wise but the roads are a bit rough so do a fair bit of dodging pot holes. A cycle cross bike would eat those up and be fast to boot ?

Just so many choices :ohmy:

skwerl

MrGrumpy said:
is the tricross not just single speed as in not fixed ? Apart from the colour it might actually be not bad. I`vbe used a road bike for commuting for so long and its been fine comfort wise but the roads are a bit rough so do a fair bit of dodging pot holes. A cycle cross bike would eat those up and be fast to boot ?

Just so many choices :ohmy:

Just take the freewheel off and put a fixed sprocket on.
If it only has a f/w hub then you won't be able to fit a lockring but that's no big deal (IMHO anyway). I've never needed one.
Tricross looks pretty decent

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Was in Edinburgh Bike Co Op today to see the bikes but all they had on show was sale bikes. The Langster actually looks feels quite good, nice comfy bar tape and solid looking frame. The burnt orange colour was pure boke :ohmy: However i was told the green is lovely. They never had a tricross in the store which was really the one i wanted to see. They can get it in for me if I wanted to look at it. Also went down to velo ecosse down the road from the Co op they had a fix for £500, aluminium frame etc but looked kinda plain so doubt I`ll buy that.

Gav2000

Über Member
MrGrumpy said:
Genesis looks nice but I think I`ve just found something that fits my budget and looks good http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/Epic Solo Big.jpg anyone no anything about these ?

I like the look of that but have never heard of Epic before. Is it any better than a Langster though or does it just look better? I don't know the answer to that but I've already taken the plunge and bought a 'brown' Langster in the Evans sale (£140 less than the Epic). I'm very happy with it, it's comfortable, seems well built and is sensibly geared for the undulating Northamptonshire area where I live.

Gav.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I`ve been in e-mail contact with Epic about it and they have been pretty helpful. The frame and wheels looks exactly the same as the Pearson Touche, so i reckon any bike shop just buy in the frame and build it up. It looks nice but I`ve been told could have to wait upto 5 weeks. I`m not sure If i can :ohmy: The Langster I`m in no doubt i could get within a few days but the orange colour is not my cup of tea, the green however looks nice enough. Anyway best not say too much on here, alot of Langster haters :biggrin:

Gav2000

Über Member
I haven't seen another Langster around my area so mine is exclusive, I assume the snobbery about them is a southern thing!

The 2008 New York Langster in New York taxi colours looks good (although it has flat bars), a trip to the US to buy one seemed a bit extreme though.

Gav.

peejay78

langster? did someone say LANGSTER?

<shoots self in face with punt-gun>

nb: punt-gun:

puntgun.jpg

Top Bottom