Looking to buy a fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Ok my current road bike is in need of repair after my STI lever gave up the ghost (my fault ). So now rather than spend money on that bike I was thinking of buying fixed for commuting. Whats a good bike, have seen the langsters but quite like the Pearson Touche. Never rode fixed before so its unknown territory. Any other recommendations ? Would like something light and nimble if possible.

gkerr4

light and nimble? - Langster is right up your street.

I love mine - it's light and fast riding - and a whole lot of fun, it;s even a bargain if you can live with the 2007 model in 'rust' colour - else there is the 08 models in green and the rather garish OTT 'London' model.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Whatever you do, don't get a Langster. If you want something cheap and off the peg to try it out, get a surly or something, just don't get a langster, it's the fixie equivalent of a burberry tracksuit......

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I should of added that I would like at least the option of braze ons for mudguards, I know the langsters don`t have those and yes you can use raceblades got a set already, but they ain`t as good.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I wouldn't know.........

But whatever you do, don't buy a langster...........

If you can afford it, but a nice classic steel frame....

gkerr4

do a lot of people have langsters where you are from zim-zum?

does that add to your anti-langster stance?

MichaelM

Guru
Over on the On One site, someone is selling a Pompino with a Phil Wood hub and a W.I. crankset.

Not mine I'm afraid - more of a 105 crank and Goldtech hub man myself (i.e. cheap).

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
ok just had a gander at my works Cycle2work scheme and its through hellfords ;) and also limited to £500 as well boo deckin hoo :biggrin: It might well be a Langster after all assuming they can source one for me. Thats another question i`ll ask in another forum. Savings still seem reasonable on spending £500, just as well I had not set my mind on a more expensive bike as I can`t even add to it !!????

peejay78

you could get a schlongster, and it ride quite well and for about two weeks you'll be so thrilled to be riding fixed that all will seem well. However, your reverie will gradually fade and be replaced by a gnawing feeling in your stomach, the more of the rust-coloured mondeos you see. every now and then you'll catch sight of other lighter, more gorgeous, fun looking machines, and then you'll see yourself reflected in a shop window and the bar shape and frame geometry will look more and more wrong every time, and you'll feel less and less special and zen like, despite the fact that you seem to be the only person to have bought a wrongster who actually rides it fixed. by this point you'll start to plan your next purchase, stealthily, and through tentative forays into the dark arts of internet forums, and after a number of months you'll end up with something like this:

1274391940_5fbf9219f9.jpg

and all will seem well in the world, disneyesque chirping birds will herald your arrival, random strangers and hardened professionals alike will compliment you on your bike. and you will mistake having an amazing bike as a sign of 'completion' and think that those glances of envy and admiration are aimed at you, and not the 631 lugwork.

i'd go for the latter option.

gkerr4

zimzum42 said:
London is full of people with an Evans-fresh Langster, such a shame......

see this is the thing and the problem with london-centric boards like this.

Until I bought my langtser I had never seen one in the flesh - ever. My LBS, who I had to drive a 70-mile trip to see - had never seen one either.
I can cycle for a 60 or 70 mile loop on my geared bike and not see a single other cyclist - not one! - never mind a cyclist on a "rust" mondeo common-crap wrongster as you would say.

so you coming here and giving it "ooh everyone's got one" - "common rubbish" etc etc - is just a load of bollox to me!

peejay78

i know. please excuse me, yet again, i woke up, forgot to take anti-psychosis medication.

how do you like my new bob jackson?

Top Bottom