Looks like I am not going to be commuting. :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The whole point to the thread was to find out whether or not 16 miles on a regular basis at the times specified would be doable over 2/3 years and in all weathers. I have got plenty of advice from people on here.

The assessment was for disability allowance but that part of the discussion was relating to the woman who assessed me and her attitude towards me cycling that distance.

As a conclusion to this thread, I will be commuting (bought all the stuff now) and will probably stop when the weather gets really bad (snows).

Thanks for the clarification, I was getting bogged down amd sidetracked by the OT argument.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just one of the roundabouts that was used on the commute. Used to illustrate a point about what someone else said, but remains quiet, about roundabouts. Its easier than it looks. But there are two elevated sections of road. Top Left & Top Right. Top Right is the 180 foot drop mentioned in an earlier post. Used to travel that way four times a day at one stage, each way.
Pavement all the way.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Either walk on pavement or use shared use path.
I have no problem with people cycling on any pavement as long as they are sensible and careful and don't crash into anybody. I've found that people wheeling bikes on pavements can be more of an obstacle than some one cycling slowly and carefully.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
There is no pavement. Those that are visible on the picture have at least a fouur foot drop to them. And there's the railings as well.
How on earth are we going to get planners to take cyclists into consideration when they don't even make any provision for pedestrians. It may be a big out of the way road feature but there should still be provision made for navigating it in something other than a car. Like shoes for instance.
That said then the way to tackle this is carefully but with confidence.

classic33

Leg End Member
How on earth are we going to get planners to take cyclists into consideration when they don't even make any provision for pedestrians. It may be a big out of the way road feature but there should still be provision made for navigating it in something other than a car. Like shoes for instance.
That said then the way to tackle this is carefully but with confidence.
Part of the reason for no footpath provision, on the actual roundabout is due simply becaused there are no actual footpaths leading onto the roundabout. The elevated section, 180 foot drop, was made pedestrian free from the start. Obvious safety reasons.

AndyPeace

Well so many people who I am in relation with are against it. I had an assessment today of my needs at HE level and it seems that they have put up a good arguement to not cycling.
Apparently doing 15 miles in the morning and evening along a coastal path with strong winds and heavy rain in the winter is not advised by the majority of people.

I will probably just treat myself to a new road bike and build up my fitness that way. Sigh.
:cry:

What was the argument for not cycling? I don't understand? and have any of the 'majority' had experince of cycling your route?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What was the argument for not cycling? I don't understand? and have any of the 'majority' had experince of cycling your route?
No. People presume that 16 miles is a long way, when they actually havent cycled it themselves. Then they just look at me like I am mad when I tell them that I will have to do it at 8pm at night.

I am used to the distance and the route is virtually traffic free. TBH it is probably a commute which most city-goers would love. Early in the morning, riding along a secluded promenade shared use path with only early morning dog walkers to contend with (wont be many of them about).

Hawk

Veteran
No. People presume that 16 miles is a long way, when they actually havent cycled it themselves. Then they just look at me like I am mad when I tell them that I will have to do it at 8pm at night.

I am used to the distance and the route is virtually traffic free. TBH it is probably a commute which most city-goers would love. Early in the morning, riding along a secluded promenade shared use path with only early morning dog walkers to contend with (wont be many of them about).

I'd love a commute like that, my 5 miles through gridlock is neither long nor pleasant enough :ohmy:

I am used to the distance and the route is virtually traffic free. TBH it is probably a commute which most city-goers would love. Early in the morning, riding along a secluded promenade shared use path with only early morning doggers to contend with (wont be many of them about).

FTFY

defy-one

People who don't cycle think going from one town to another is very far. How many drivers actually look at the odemeter to see how far the journey is?
10 miles on a bike doesn't take much more than 30 minutes for medium ability riders like me.

Top Bottom