Looks like I am not going to be commuting. :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
^ So your best time is over 40% quicker than your first time but why is this? Are you over 40% faster or is it that you, over time, learnt the route? Some of the time saving may be due to weather, traffic, fitness and other factors but the main saving was by learning the route!
I love it when you wrote "And we have to hope that those around us are aware of the speed they are doing in relation to others." Why rely on hope?
The road situation is always changing, that is why we have Eyeballs Mk1 and these can be assisted by a visit to Specsavers or similar.

classic33

Leg End Member
^ So your best time is over 40% quicker than your first time but why is this? Are you over 40% faster or is it that you, over time, learnt the route? Some of the time saving may be due to weather, traffic, fitness and other factors but the main saving was by learning the route!
I love it when you wrote "And we have to hope that those around us are aware of the speed they are doing in relation to others." Why rely on hope?
The road situation is always changing, that is why we have Eyeballs Mk1 and these can be assisted by a visit to Specsavers or similar.
You have made the simple mistake of not reading what was posted. Strongly suggest that you try reading what was said, that is how mistakes are made & how they can be avoided
"First time it was done, as a commute, took 78 minutes. 33 minutes slower than my previous best. Same route into Leeds city centre, only I stopped on the commute in the centre."
So in fact I was slower(on the commute), not quicker as you stated. Main reason for this difference in time taken is down to the bike in use. The 35 minute trip was done on a bike with a top gear of 229 inches, the regular commute was done on a mountain bike, with lower gearing.

If hoping that others around us are aware of the speed they they are doing in relation to others is good enough for F1 drivers on a closed circuit. Why is it not good enough for me, on the open road. You made the comparison, but now that is failing you.

If as you say the road surface is always changing, then that is as I said something that must be re-learnt, every time there's a change.

As for eyeballs Mk 1, mine work okay. Unfortunately I do not possess second sight, which cannot be got from specsavers or similar. Nor have I a pair of eyes in the back of my head, again not available from specsavers. Do you pssess either second sight or a pair of eyes in the back of your head.

Closed circuit racing bears very little resemblence to the open road. In any given race, there will be drivers of nearly equal abilities, who must prove themselves fit to enter each & every time they take the car onto the track. This does not happen on the open road.

classic33

Leg End Member
To which roundabout did you refer when you mentioned the A57/M57 roundabout?
In your opinion, how should I get from the top right entrance to the top left exit on this roundabout? Or even from the top left to the one exiting at the bottom of the picture?
Roundabout Here.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
In your opinion, how should I get from the top right entrance to the top left exit on this roundabout? Or even from the top left to the one exiting at the bottom of the picture? View attachment 12063
Top left to bottom seems simple enough but from top right to top left could be a problem.
I would suggest you take the lane but keep in secondary where possible (even close to the roundabout). Unless you have the speed to keep up with everyone, I wouldnt like to go around here.
Plus the top right road seems to be an elevated dual carraigeway. Meaning that if you had survived that, you now have to negotiate a busy roundabout. I wouldnt like to be that cyclist.

classic33

Leg End Member
Top left to bottom seems simple enough but from top right to top left could be a problem.
I would suggest you take the lane but keep in secondary where possible (even close to the roundabout). Unless you have the speed to keep up with everyone, I wouldnt like to go around here.
Plus the top right road seems to be an elevated dual carraigeway. Meaning that if you had survived that, you now have to negotiate a busy roundabout. I wouldnt like to be that cyclist.

Just one of the roundabouts that was used on the commute. Used to illustrate a point about what someone else said, but remains quiet, about roundabouts. Its easier than it looks. But there are two elevated sections of road. Top Left & Top Right. Top Right is the 180 foot drop mentioned in an earlier post. Used to travel that way four times a day at one stage, each way.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Just one of the roundabouts that was used on the commute. Used to illustrate a point about what someone else said, but remains quiet, about roundabouts. Its easier than it looks. But there are two elevated sections of road. Top Left & Top Right. Tp Right is the 180 foot drop mentioned in an earlier post. Used to travel that way four times a day at one stage, each way.
Just madness. I am glad I only have 16 miles of quiet promenade shared use paths to deal with on my commute to college. I do have a section of road at the start and end of the route though (the worst will be at the college, it gets extreme with everyone wanting to go into Llandudno to work). I just have the weather to battle with really.

In your opinion, how should I get from the top right entrance to the top left exit on this roundabout? Or even from the top left to the one exiting at the bottom of the picture? View attachment 12063
Its a signalised roundabout so hopefully it won be as bad as it looks, my first choice would be to avoid it though :ohmy: If that can't be done use the stop lines to enable you to get into dominant position in lanes with entry and circulating lanes being held at red individually and not directly conflicting. The path I would take to get from top right to top left is: using the out side lane on the entry, sprint to the middle lane stop line at the south arm, move out to the out side lane, as traffic peels off to exit on the western arm and follow the lane you are in off the roundabout in the outside lane of the dual carriageway on the top left exit. You have to then cross a slip lane to get back to the inside lane of the dual carriageway be careful here (depending on flow this would probably be my main concern) filter into gap carefully.
Top left is a wee bit easier but similar: I'd get in the outside lane on entry, sprint to the middle lane and filter off to the southern exit, there's no slip road there so you can more easily filter to the inside lane of the dual carriageway. Be careful though if the the dominant flow on exit is into or out of the large capark (bottom right) it might be more apt to leave the roundabout in the outside lane of the southern dc until you are past it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Its a signalised roundabout so hopefully it won be as bad as it looks, my first choice would be to avoid it though :ohmy: If that can't be done use the stop lines to enable you to get into dominant position in lanes with entry and circulating lanes being held at red individually and not directly conflicting. The path I would take to get from top right to top left is: using the out side lane on the entry, sprint to the middle lane stop line at the south arm, move out to the out side lane, as traffic peels off to exit on the western arm and follow the lane you are in off the roundabout in the outside lane of the dual carriageway on the top left exit. You have to then cross a slip lane to get back to the inside lane of the dual carriageway be careful here (depending on flow this would probably be my main concern) filter into gap carefully.
Top left is a wee bit easier but similar: I'd get in the outside lane on entry, sprint to the middle lane and filter off to the southern exit, there's no slip road there so you can more easily filter to the inside lane of the dual carriageway. Be careful though if the the dominant flow on exit is into or out of the large capark (bottom right) it might be more apt to leave the roundabout in the outside lane of the southern dc until you are past it.
All the lanes are signed/desigated. To get to the exit top left requires being in the correct lanes, otherwise you can have problems.
Coming off the elevated section you have to be in the right-hand lane. You enter the roundabout & stay in the lane closest to the actual roundabout, until the next set of lights. From those lights you move over to the outer lane, before the second set of lights. From there the real hazard is as you say that slip road onto the exit. Despite there being the seperation between the slip road & the roundabout, you have then to cross a line of traffic to get back into the correct lane. Traffic & driver dependent I can normally be back in lane by the time I reach the posistion of the white car.

You go from two lanes(marked) at the entrance, to three(unmarked) on the roundabout. Briefly to four(unmarked) on the lower exit & back to two lanes(marked) at the set of lights after this exit. From those lights, its two, then four lanes(umarked) before it becomes two lanes(marked) at the lights. Two then a brief three lanes before going back to two marked lanes.

You have a slight dip on at the lower end of the roundabout, Right side as viewed, which can hold water. You have a small climbing start from the first set of lights. Climb continues to the second set And from there its downhill.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
I have had assessment also sadly. I cycle though not that often. You have a choice use it. Not what these twats say what you can do or can't do. Dam hell now that would be like in an army. You are being told what you must do and should not do. Seriously do what you want. Even uni mates have said i shouldn't cycle cos its like 14 miles there and back. To hell with those guys cos right now i would mind kicking some hill top distance!

classic33

Leg End Member
I have had assessment also sadly. I cycle though not that often. You have a choice use it. Not what these twats say what you can do or can't do. Dam hell now that would be like in an army. You are being told what you must do and should not do. Seriously do what you want. Even uni mates have said i shouldn't cycle cos its like 14 miles there and back. To hell with those guys cos right now i would mind kicking some hill top distance!
Was doing 250 miles over a four day weekend. The others ran a book/sweepstake on how long I'd last. Longest they were giving was a month, 31/2 years later I was was still there.

Agree with you on the choice. I've been told too many times "You can't do that/You'll never be able to do that". All down to epilepsy. In every case I've gone out & done it. The only way you'll find out if you can do "it" or not is to give it a go. At least then you can say "I tried".

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Just madness. I am glad I only have 16 miles of quiet promenade shared use paths to deal with on my commute to college. I do have a section of road at the start and end of the route though (the worst will be at the college, it gets extreme with everyone wanting to go into Llandudno to work). I just have the weather to battle with really.

That should be fine once you're used to it.

Mine's 10 miles each way of 40 & 70mph dual-carriagway :eek:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have just read this entire thread, and I am non the wiser for it. What a waste of my time. I Still don't know what an HE assessment is, did I miss that point, is the OP claiming a disability allowance or not, is the OP commuting to college or not, and why is the OP bringing it up here, surely he should make his own mind up, he is an adult after all. And all the other argy bargy has only confused matters and muddied the birds in hedge gathering no moss.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have just read this entire thread, and I am non the wiser for it. What a waste of my time. I Still don't know what an HE assessment is, did I miss that point, is the OP claiming a disability allowance or not, is the OP commuting to college or not, and why is the OP bringing it up here, surely he should make his own mind up, he is an adult after all. And all the other argy bargy has only confused matters and muddied the birds in hedge gathering no moss.
The whole point to the thread was to find out whether or not 16 miles on a regular basis at the times specified would be doable over 2/3 years and in all weathers. I have got plenty of advice from people on here.

The assessment was for disability allowance but that part of the discussion was relating to the woman who assessed me and her attitude towards me cycling that distance.

As a conclusion to this thread, I will be commuting (bought all the stuff now) and will probably stop when the weather gets really bad (snows).

classic33

Leg End Member
He sought advice from others on here, maybe parts/some of that advice isn't what he wanted to hear. But from what has been given he can now draw his own conclusions as to whether or not "its safe to cycle".

Is this mr hippo crit posting by any chance

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
He sought advice from others on here, maybe parts/some of that advice isn't what he wanted to hear. But from what has been given he can now draw his own conclusions as to whether or not "its safe to cycle".

Is this mr hippo crit posting by any chance
This is normally what the OP's of 'What to do...' threads intend to get from them.

Top Bottom