Looks like I am not going to be commuting. :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
10 miles in 30 minutes - is there no traffic! Lucky to do 6 miles in 30 minutes around here - ok I am not the quickest, but do run between 15-18mph on the flats if the lights don't get me!!

Sigh. Matthew's OP subject is yet another brick in the foundations of why we have so many people tending towards the overweight in the UK now. "More than 5 miles on a bike?! I'm calin' the men in white coats, you must be certifiable" is the general attitude I encounter or the wide-eyed "11 miles each way?" when I tell them how far my commute is. Worse is the "I could never cycle that far" response which makes me despair as it means (a) they have never tried it and (b) they never will.

10 miles in 30 minutes - is there no traffic! Lucky to do 6 miles in 30 minutes around here - ok I am not the quickest, but do run between 15-18mph on the flats if the lights don't get me!!

I'm guessing 30 mins would be with traffic, lights just give you a chance to practice interval training. I'm consistently clocking around 28 mins for my best 10 miles in to Manchester if I'm not on recovery. I'll not divulge my heart rate to keep that up though as I have to rocket away from lights to bring my average up...

Hawk

Veteran
I'm guessing 30 mins would be with traffic, lights just give you a chance to practice interval training. I'm consistently clocking around 28 mins for my best 10 miles in to Manchester if I'm not on recovery. I'll not divulge my heart rate to keep that up though as I have to rocket away from lights to bring my average up...

I'm sure you can do 20mph as a rolling average speed, but you would have trouble managing that door to door, with trafffic

caimg

Über Member
I'm totally baffled as to how this thread has reached 9 pages. Genuinely sorry I have nothing more useful to say than that!

I'm sure you can do 20mph as a rolling average speed, but you would have trouble managing that door to door, with trafffic

I cycle in to central Manchester every day. That is door to door, with traffic, both ways and can be done all week. There are plenty on here who have my Strava and Endomondo.

AndyPeace

I'm totally baffled as to how this thread has reached 9 pages. Genuinely sorry I have nothing more useful to say than that!

Its an epic post as we all disagreed with the advice given to Mathew by H.E. by the way it seems the post is redundant as he is now commuting by bike, at least for some journeys.

Hawk

Veteran
I cycle in to central Manchester every day. That is door to door, with traffic, both ways and can be done all week. There are plenty on here who have my Strava and Endomondo.

What's your average rolling speed?

Drago

Legendary Member
If anyone told me not to ride my bike I'd make them stand there and watch as I dragged the racer out the shed and ride up and down the road, shouting "I dare you to try and stop me" at them with every pass. Interfering, no nothing chumps like that make me want to spit.

PS, I'm disabled too, as designated my the DWP (although conveniently not enough to get any money) due due the loss of function in my right arm on account of my elbow being held together with titanium, and damage to the ulna nerve. I don't let people use this as a lever to stop me cycling - just the opposite. It makes even more determined to not only ride, but to strive to be better, faster, more hardcore than I ever was before to prove to the world that I'm not some weak willed loser who lets either circumstance or interfereng weaklings dictate how I live my life.

If anyone told me not to ride my bike I'd make them stand there and watch as I dragged the racer out the shed and ride up and down the road, shouting "I dare you to try and stop me" at them with every pass. Interfering, no nothing chumps like that make me want to spit.

PS, I'm disabled too, as designated my the DWP (although conveniently not enough to get any money) due due the loss of function in my right arm on account of my elbow being held together with titanium, and damage to the ulna nerve. I don't let people use this as a lever to stop me cycling - just the opposite. It makes even more determined to not only ride, but to strive to be better, faster, more hardcore than I ever was before to prove to the world that I'm not some weak willed loser who lets either circumstance or interfereng weaklings dictate how I live my life.

Dude, you're bionic, not weak.

Top Bottom