Looks like my hernia op' hasn't worked. Anyone else had an op' that went wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Getting through to Burnley General means you have to listen to at least 5 minutes of Vivaldi's Four Seasons.:wacko:

And.... if worried just go.

I went to A&E after an op on my left nut (a year after a botched snip). It ended up the size of a large spud and the pain was incredible. The A&E team got a urologist down to check me over and ultrasound it to check all was ok. Fortunately it was but sent away with strong pain killers. My surgeon even phoned that evening to check up on me as he had been told I was back in. It took months for the swelling to go and about a year for it to settle down. Still causes pain though. If worried get it checked.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to A&E after an op on my left nut (a year after a botched snip). It ended up the size of a large spud and the pain was incredible.

Now that's something i definitely would not have done to me! I was squeamish about the hernia,but as i said to the doctor examining me yesterday. They can cut me open anywhere,but no way will they cut my ball bag open!:eek: Even when she used the word testicle i found myself feeling faint.:heat:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I had appendicitis in 2012 that required a full slit-him-open job. I had a hernia on the scar tissue and it was fixed last year. I completely sympathise with you on the pain issue. I had some tuna pasta a week after the op after eating soups for days. My God! - the pain as I felt the food being pushed through my stomach, passing the sensitive hernia section, felt like a hot rock in my gut. The pain was bad enough to have me writhing in agony on the bed. I didn't get back to solid food for another week, my fault I suppose!.

Now I think the gauze has shifted. I can feel what appears to be a stitch poking out of my skin with two scab that weep and have not healed in months. I had an MRI scan a couple of weeks ago to check the status of the gauze that might be infected. Could be facing another op.....:sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
I went shopping the day after a hernia operation and was on the turbo gently 3 days after, my first ten was within weeks of the op, all 20 years ago. The advice I had from the BHC was get moving.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went shopping the day after a hernia operation and was on the turbo gently 3 days after, my first ten was within weeks of the op, all 20 years ago. The advice I had from the BHC was get moving.
Perhaps not all ops have the same post op protocol depending on location, size, complexity. Accy should take advice from his own surgical team. If he can't bear the music he could get a taxi or lift to the hospital :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm wondering now if it hasn't slipped out the gauze and the swollen bit is just post op' swelling. I've just tried a pair of trousers on that i haven't worn for years due to my grapefruit sized lump. There was no prominent bulge to be seen like when i had the hernia.

Globalti

Legendary Member

You got medical advice from the British High Commission? In which country? I'd like to try that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But the consultant and the ward sister said walking was ok,as long as i didn't overdo it. I'm thinking of post op' deep vein thrombosis and such complications,caused by inactivity.

You're thinking the worst, my opinion only.
Perhaps not ...! :whistle:

From that paper (Accy is over 40):

Post-operative DVT risk.gif

I thought doctors these days liked to get patients moving about ASAP after surgery to minimise the risk of DVT? (Obviously not doing anything too strenuous!)

Good luck, Accy, it sounds horrid!

JoshM

Everyone responds differently to surgery, as far as I'm aware no one on here is a Dr, and even if they were I doubt they'd be able to give a definitive appraisal of whether your current condition is normal over a forum on the internet.

I strongly advise you to speak to your GP if your concerned, or if you believe it to be an emergency go to A&E.

Top Bottom