Looks like the trike may be going soon.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only bought my ICE Sprint X fairly recently, August, and love it. However, I've been tempted across to the Dark Side, and may soon be selling the trike. I'm off to Dronten to test a few velomobiles tomorrow. If all goes to plan, and I enjoy them as much as I think I shall, then I shall make the switch.

I don't have enough room to house both trike and velo. A shame, really, as they both cover different ground. Literally. There are some lovely forest trails around here that are a delight on the trike. But I have to consider that probably 90% of my riding is on the roads, which leans me more heavily in favour of a velo. I wish I had discovered velos before trikes, but, alas, no. It seems that trikes are often stepping-stones into the world of velos, and, sure enough, here I am at the crossroads.

Cannot wait to until tomorrow, when I finally get my bum into one and see what all of the fuss is about :smile:

Tried a velo a few years ago [ Go One} but it was a problem for me to get in and out,it was fitted with e assist fast as lightening and lots of fun, good luck on your test drive tomorrow.

Velomobiles are not as forgiving as open trikes ?:ohmy:
If you arrive at a corner with too much entry speed ….they can quickly become a two wheeler !:wacko:
Strangely most get crumped at low speed often whilst changing direction onto a different road surface with a camber .:stop:
Comfort …….you can get hot and bothered in the summer …….no air con fitted :sun:
Fully enclosed models can become 3 wheel mobile steam rooms in the winter rain .:cold:
If you ask long term owners questions ….remember to shout ...because they may well be deaf after thousands of miles .:music:
Still dispite my comments …..:notworthy:
Velomobiles are great fun...………. owners love them to bits *(carbon or glassfibre or loose rivets ):eek:
The current versions cost around the same price as Fiat 500 with Aircon (but not as green as VM's )
Oh and just for the record I have sold one or two or more over the years :cheers:
So far from perfect ……..but very much on the dream and wish list .:biggrin:
Hope that helps .
How did the testing go ?

Only bought my ICE Sprint X fairly recently, August, and love it. However, I've been tempted across to the Dark Side, and may soon be selling the trike. I'm off to Dronten to test a few velomobiles tomorrow. If all goes to plan, and I enjoy them as much as I think I shall, then I shall make the switch.

I don't have enough room to house both trike and velo. A shame, really, as they both cover different ground. Literally. There are some lovely forest trails around here that are a delight on the trike. But I have to consider that probably 90% of my riding is on the roads, which leans me more heavily in favour of a velo. I wish I had discovered velos before trikes, but, alas, no. It seems that trikes are often stepping-stones into the world of velos, and, sure enough, here I am at the crossroads.

Cannot wait to until tomorrow, when I finally get my bum into one and see what all of the fuss is about :smile:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
So...……..

………...HOW DID THE TEST RIDE GO?:thumbsup: / :thumbsdown: or :unsure:

Oh hang on it's the ears not the eyes that get damaged.:laugh:

Seriously how was it?
What one did you try?
And will you be getting one?

yanto2009

Veteran
I visited Mr Magoo to try out some recumbents great experience I asked about a Velo mobile and what it was like he said to Jump Into a wheelie bin and he would beat it with a stick to give me an idea what it was like

I'm sure that if he had one for sale and you looked keen on buying his answer would have been different, if you want to know what a velomobile is like it's best to ask somebody who owns one, or maybe somebody who has owned 3, like me!

I do wonder about the tipping risk as it appears that many VMs are relatively narrow and probably have higher seats than (eg) an ICE Sprint. I would imagine that they are OK on most A and B style graded roads, but I do a lot of my riding on winding country roads and am often leaning out beyond the inside wheel to keep all three wheels on the ground (huge fun).

I still covet a VM but I’m not averse to taking in forest tracks from time to time and that seems like a recipie for grounding an expensive bodyshell.

Go on youtube channel Velo ads this guy cant stop smiling!! horses for courses dont think you would need a VM on a country track but open roads must be a blast literally.

yanto2009

Veteran
Yeah I know him, he was showing off for his wife who was filming him, it's called showboating, all show off's tend to come a cropper, no matter what sport or activity they are doing, by the way if you are so against them why where you so keen to buy one of my velomobiles (at a ridiculously low offer), when I advertised it, you shouldn't sell what you deem to be sub standard products, unless you have no scruples!

Low speed example of " Gosh !"£$ now its a two wheeler "

View: https://youtu.be/vIQgkZPNC9E

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
This thread seems to have taken a turn or two since I last looked, lol. Testing went well. Tried the Quattrovelo, which was very well finished, and incredibly sure-footed. Able to keep it at a reasonable speed on the flat. Felt very comfortable, although I had to ride the Quattrovelo Plus as my legs were too long for the standard. A beautiful machine.

Also tested the df xl, which fit me like a glove. Accelerated brilliantly, and required little effort to keep it moving. I was a bit surprised by just how low the view-point was though. I'm 6'1", so was expecting to "poke out" a bit. I didn't. I fully understand how desirable it is to be low, both aerodynamically, and from a low CofG point of view. But it was a shock. Again, a work of art. Wanted to get across to Sinner, to see the Hilgo, but didn't manage it in the end.

I guess the trip was a success in as much as I placed an order. Ended up going for the df xl in the end. I loved the Quattrovelo, but it was a combination of it being a bit too wide than is practical for me, and a year on the waiting list. Meantime, Ymte, at Intercitybikes, estimated 3 months for the df. I strongly suspect that 3 months could be a tad on the optimistic side, so am bracing myself for a bit longer. But that's no big deal seeing as we are headed for winter.

Yeah I know him, he was showing off for his wife who was filming him, it's called showboating, all show off's tend to come a cropper, no matter what sport or activity they are doing, by the way if you are so against them why where you so keen to buy one of my velomobiles (at a ridiculously low offer), when I advertised it, you shouldn't sell what you deem to be sub standard products, unless you have no scruples!
A new velomobile is a major investment . Therefore they require carefull consideration of the pros and cons during the buying process .
29 years of selling recumbents in all shapes and sizes successfully has taught me a lot.
Could never have been achieved if I had no scruples
In my experience the first machine is brilliant and is always a learning curve .
Hence if I have any doubts about a rider having too high expectations .
I try to tone things down in a gentle and polite manner and always suggest it's wiser to go in at a more modest level ..
Leading forum member Neil Earley if prompted will probably confirm how much fun you can have chasing the ultimate recumbent.
In fact I advised Mr Bilbo when he embarked on his voyage of discovery .
He might well choose to confirm I certainly did not sell him down the line with his new ICE trike ?
On the subject of selling .....it can be a painfull and to some a shocking process ....nobody goes in high .
Have a peep at Ebay Auctions or recall the last time you sold or part exchanged a car . At the end of the day did you manage to sell Velomobile number one or was it number two at an acceptable price ?

Top Bottom