Loopybike gets a make over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopybike

Veteran
When I say loopybike gets a make over, I mean the bicycle not me!

I built the loopybike around 6 or 7 years ago. I used it a fair bit, but then my mind wandered onto other projects, you know how it is! The bike got moved onto the wall at the workshop. Many of my customers would stare up at it, often with a confused look!
Gradually bits got taken off it for other projects. The crankset, wheels, handlebars, saddle all went. Eventually it was just the frame. Feeling sorry for it I put on some old wheels, handlebars and saddle. But it remained on the wall as an art piece.
Move forward 2 years to last night I suddenly had a mad thought of entering it into a show! There's one happening on the last weekend of August. I like a deadline!

So here I am, in the workshop. And here's the loopybike looking very unloved and sorry for itself.....
DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0071.JPG

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
So what to do with it?

I'm not going to put it back to how it was, mainly because I can't afford the parts.
I still want a coaster brake but it won't be a fancy multiple hub gear job.
I actually fancy putting some colour into it. I'm thinking bright orange wheels and painting the inside of the circles to match. I've just put the idea to the Mrs and got a screwed up disapproving look! So maybe not!

Any ideas?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interesting frame. Did you make it out of the offcuts remaining after billets had been stamped out to make monobloc aluminium flasks? Or summat?

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Interesting frame. Did you make it out of the offcuts remaining after billets had been stamped out to make monobloc aluminium flasks? Or summat?

It's actually 4" stainless tube cut into slithers and tig welded together. Infill triangles were added for strength. The whole bike weighs in at 17kg so it's no racer! Lol

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I remember this from when you first posted it. IIRC my reaction was along the lines of it looking daft and impractical, and I wanted it!
If you want a chainset for it, I've probably got a used one in the spares heap. Let me know...

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Thanks for the offer, but I have already ordered a chainset for it. And wheels. And rim tape. And tyres.

So much for not spending much money on it!

I have had an idea for cheap (free) and unique handlebars though....

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
The wheels have arrived :smile:

I'm looking at them, thinking I should really remove the spokes before painting the rims. The lazy man in me says just to mask them off.
Perfectionist or laziness. I know already which will win, but I am a little nervous of rebuilding the spokes. I've never done it before, but I guess with a load of photos and notes it should be OK.
Anyone got any tips?

If you can build a frame from scratch you'll be fine with a wheel build! Your main problem will be getting hold of the tools you need. When disassembling my protip is to keep drive side and non-drive side spokes separated and labeled on a piece of paper to save confusion and sorting down the line. If it's a new wheel, you'll not need to worry about remembering where the spokes came from in the wheel. Also make a note of the lacing method. 1x 2x or 3x etc, you'll need to put them back in the same manner if you want to reuse the same spokes, or you'll need different length spokes if you want to try a new lacing pattern.

There's plenty of guides online for the build process itself. Sheldon Brown's site for instance. I personally have had much success with Roger Musson's book, my own first attempt at wheels stayed true longer than Spa Cycles of Harrogate own professional effort and continue to ride true today. If you've not done this before, expect to put in a hour per wheel, plus time for tool making if you don't have what you need already (nipple driver, dishing tool etc).

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
If you have a rim with the same number of spokes / size put them side by side, swap the spokes over and reverse when you have done rim...

Top Bottom