Loopybike gets a make over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Gave the crank gear a little nudge on the fly press so it now clears the frame and lines up with the wheel sprocket.
Bought a new inner tube from (shock horror) Halfords! I went for the Continental one as their own brand ones get pretty poor reviews lol
While I was in Halfords I couldn't help buying a few other bits. So I now have a replacement for my broken chain splitter, a new puncture repair kit and some funky bullet shaped valve dust covers!
I'm hoping to get into the workshop sometime this weekend to finish the fit up.
I still need some pedals for it. I may just pinch some off one of my other bikes.
DSC_0085.JPG

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
As I was cleaning up the frame I had a little wobble about painting it. It does look cool bare stainless.
So I stuck some masking tape where the paint will be to give me an idea of how it will look. Wobble over, it's getting painted!
The was a little issue with clearance of the chain on the frame. It didn't rub here before when I had the Sturney Archer hub. Easy enough to sort out with a grinder.
This is why I like to fully assemble before I paint.
DSC_0089.JPG

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When stainless Steel is heated the chemical reaction that occurs gives different colours, blues, golds etc. It might be worth an experiment. It would be hard to get it uniform though and may just look a mess. It's quite a "busy" design already.
I have a rule with my designs: stick to 3 colours. My idea for this rebuild uses silver, orange and black. Any more than 3 can look confusing.
Stick with it I reckon. You still planning on the insides of the rings being orange and the flat bits left silver?

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
I have striped the bike back down and got the frame prep done. I'm now busy masking off the areas I don't want painted. What started off as a fun task soon turned tedious!
After 2 hours of masking I took a break to try out the orange pin stripe tape on the wheel.
I like it :smile:
I just hope it's a simular shade to the paint (which I haven't seen yet but I'm told it's "sainsbury carrier bag orange"!)
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have striped the bike back down and got the frame prep done. I'm now busy masking off the areas I don't want painted. What started off as a fun task soon turned tedious!
After 2 hours of masking I took a break to try out the orange pin stripe tape on the wheel.
I like it :smile:
I just hope it's a simular shade to the paint (which I haven't seen yet but I'm told it's "sainsbury carrier bag orange"!)
View attachment 421756 View attachment 421757

Nice, but I assume you are not planning on using the brakes.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Nice, but I assume you are not planning on using the brakes.
I'm using hub drum brakes, at the back. If I start to use the bike on the road again I'll fit a front drum brake as well. That's how I had it before and it worked really well.

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Who's stupid idea was it to paint it???

4 hours of masking!

Picked up the paint this afternoon. I'm using a two part epoxy primer in RAL 2008 orange. I've used this type of paint a lot, usually in black though! It's tough and sticks really well. It's also waterproof, which is great when used on steel, not that that matters on stainless. I'm not planning on using a top coat, so it won't be too shiny.
DSC_0107.JPG

All being well, I'll be painting it tomorrow morning before work.
I'm actually a little excited

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
OK, so now most of the masking tape is off. It felt like that scene in the Invisible Man when they took the bandages off!.....

My intention was to change the way the biked looked by adding colour. I have definitely achieved that!
Do I like it? Yes I do. :smile:
Am I going to show a picture of the frame? No, not yet. Not till its fitted up.

Now on to the handlebars... ..

Top Bottom